Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 09:42   #1
Junior Member+

Talking Crawshaw Street Accrington

Is there anyone who remembers Crawshaw Street before it became a car park, as a child I lived there, on the corner there was a blacksmiths shop, as kids we used to watch the horses being shoe'd opposite corner was the Blockade hotel.

Next to our house was the Horseshoe pub, (get the blacksmith connection) in the street all the kids used to play out together this was in the early 50's.

If Jean Haworth (who married Carl Baker)
Roy Hudson
Derek Gardiner
Carl Baker ( mother had Tower Cafe chip shop, near the old Jo Mort's, father was an actor)(Carl had a car sales site in Clitheroe)
Read this I would be delighted to hear from them.
I am Terry.
cooinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-12-2008, 10:21   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Crawshaw Street Accrington

yep remember crawshaw st, horseshoe was n old watering hole of mine, had a a family i knew lived on school street just before the "Nags" theres a few posts about area somewhere in nostalgia section.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:49   #3
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep remember crawshaw st, horseshoe was n old watering hole of mine, had a a family i knew lived on school street just before the "Nags" theres a few posts about area somewhere in nostalgia section.
Yes, remember the Nags from those days, its completely modernised now.
School Street in those days had behind the Horseshoe was the Observer offices, then a big joinery company, the name escapes me, the only family I remember living on School street was Roy Hudson and his mother, they lived behind the Nags Head.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:01   #4
Senior Member+

Crawshaw Street Accrington

Hi, Have A Look At The New Book On Accrington By One Of Our Members, Mr Bob Dobson. He Has A Photo Of Crawshaw Street In It.
Its A Good Book

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 16:55   #5

Used to go by there every day on my way to work at the gas works on Hyndburn Rd. The blacksmith was Harold Fitzpatrick I think.
ossykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 18:03   #6

Hi Cooinda,
Yes, I remember Crawshaw Street from a long time ago, and have been in that area a number of times over the last few years (haven't lived in Accy for many years). Must confess to have had the occasional pint in the Blockade in the late 1950s/early 1960s. Tell me, please, do you remember an address around the corner in School Street - Stephen's Court? Some ancesters lived there many years ago but I do acknowledge that it might not have existed in your time...
Best wishes,
davidf
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 20:28   #7

seem to remember harry cowell joiners up that street and was it the roy hudson that worked at gilbraiths
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:27   #8
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossykid View Post
Used to go by there every day on my way to work at the gas works on Hyndburn Rd. The blacksmith was Harold Fitzpatrick I think.
Hi ossykid.

I think you are right about the Blacksmiths name, you will also have passed Musgraves the Health food shop, was it Broughtons fireplace shop opposite, My father worked at Ewbank also along Hyndburn road in Electricity street I think.I used to walk along Hyndburn Road to Hyndburn Park School, often on the way home we would walk via Morton Street (gone now) to watch the cows being taken into the slaughterhouse, later when I had a saturday job with Sharpes butchers on Blackburn road apart from delivering orders on the butchers bike I had to occasionally collect a bucket of bits from Morton Street for Mr Sharpe to make his black puddings.

Hows life in BC, spent 5 years in Canada myself mainly in Ottawa spent sometime in Montreal and Halifax NS, never got out to BC.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:46   #9
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
Hi Cooinda,
Yes, I remember Crawshaw Street from a long time ago, and have been in that area a number of times over the last few years (haven't lived in Accy for many years). Must confess to have had the occasional pint in the Blockade in the late 1950s/early 1960s. Tell me, please, do you remember an address around the corner in School Street - Stephen's Court? Some ancesters lived there many years ago but I do acknowledge that it might not have existed in your time...
Best wishes,
davidf
Hi davidf.
I lived in Crawshaw street from 1949 to 1956, as you know its a car park now and the Blockade has become a social services office of some sort.
When the Blockade did exist we always thought it was an upper class place because it was called Hotel whereas the Horseshoe and the Nags Head were just pubs.

Regarding your question, the Horseshoe pub was on the corner of Crawshaw Street/School Street if my memory serves me correctly (its a long long time ago) immediately round the corner in School Street was a red door through that door you come out behind the Horseshoe into a small type courtyard, and the big building to the right was the Accrington Observer Offices (now on Blackburn Road) but I don't remember any houses in there but also up School Street on the left was another type of courtyard which was accessed down a narrow alleyway which brought you behind the Nags Head and Blackburn Road there was about 6 houses in there.I cannot truly remember what the names were but the name you give does ring a bell in the mist of my old brain. What were your ancestors called that may help.

Good to hear from you.
cooinda
Old 07-12-2008, 09:54   #10
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
seem to remember harry cowell joiners up that street and was it the roy hudson that worked at gilbraiths
Hi Keith.

Thanks for that, it was Harry Cowell, it all floods back now.

Roy Hudson was a little younger than me, and I cannot recall what he did when he left school. As I said he lived behind the Nags head with his Mother (no Father present.) but I have a vague recollection of him being all oily in a pair of the old bib and brace overalls.

Regards
Cooinda
Old 07-12-2008, 09:55   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

like you cooinda,my memory has faded a bit, but regarding Stephens Court, seem to Remember n alleyway lower than the nags, would that be it?
Old 07-12-2008, 19:33   #12
Senior Member+

Ive just checked - Stephen's Court was definitely off (i.e.in) School Street Crawshaw was probably named after a wealthy Accy chap who buiilt the building on Blackburn rd just next to the Crown. It became, or part of it perhaps, Joe Mort's dance hall.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 19:43   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Ive just checked - Stephen's Court was definitely off (i.e.in) School Street Crawshaw was probably named after a wealthy Accy chap who buiilt the building on Blackburn rd just next to the Crown. It became, or part of it perhaps, Joe Mort's dance hall.
was it just below the Nags Head Bob?
Old 07-12-2008, 20:12   #14

between the period 1944/50 I delivered sunday newspapers for harry pollard who had the paper shop next to the black bull pub my first round took me up union st there were a few house there then back up crawshaw st up on to blackburn road then up by the railway station round by the pit then a few delivered round the old baths area then back down union st to collect my second round which went the other way up devonshire st and westwood st and finishing on queens road all before ten oclock when I was due to be on parade with the church lads brigade band in which I was a drummer I was a member of the band from being 12years old till I joined the raf regiment nine years in all even played with them sometimes when home on leave however all had gone when I came home on leave from my first overseas posting
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 23:57   #15

I remember School Street, a girl called Margaret lived on there with her brothers, next to the alley way. We also got saw dust from the Joiners down there for our rabbit.
I think Margaret was crowned Miss Accrington one year in the Parade they used to have.
Can't remember her last name
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..