Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2010, 19:30   #1
Senior Member+

Cunliffe family

In 1870s a family headed by James Cunliffe lived in Burnley Rd. he died in his 30s. His mother in law and a daughter were called Lydia. Anyone know anything about the family? They may have been linked to Henry, James & Robert who were cotton manufacturers, Robert was a noted musician/orchstra leader.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-12-2010, 21:34   #2
I am Banned

Re: Cunliffe family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
In 1870s a family headed by James Cunliffe lived in Burnley Rd. he died in his 30s. His mother in law and a daughter were called Lydia. Anyone know anything about the family? They may have been linked to Henry, James & Robert who were cotton manufacturers, Robert was a noted musician/orchstra leader.
There were 20 families with the name Cunliffe living in Acc in 1851.
The one that fits the bill was Henry Cunliffe of Abbey St, Cotton Mnfct, employs 52 men & 101 women, he had a son called James about the right age.
The Robert Cunliffe of orchestral fame, was of a later generation.
They used to practice in the Hargreaves St School when I was a lad.

Try St James burial records.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 21:58   #3
God Member

I know a Christien Cunliffe if that helps. Although presumably that's her married name so not her family name.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 08:36   #4
Senior Member+

Henry Cunliffe & his sons James & Robert would be known to the Hargreaves family. I am trying to find someone called Lydia, after whom Lydia St could have been named. A James Cunliffe in Burnley Rd had a daughter & a mother in law (?) of this name . (There were 13 Lydias in Acc 1871) This James was a cloth sizer and died in his 30s. I am looking for a link between him and the Hargreaves family. I am hoping that there are Cunliffes around today who have researched their family and can provide the information. Gayle - (and anyone else who knows any Cunliffes) -Please ask if they can help.
Old 17-12-2010, 12:31   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Henry Cunliffe & his sons James & Robert would be known to the Hargreaves family. I am trying to find someone called Lydia, after whom Lydia St could have been named. A James Cunliffe in Burnley Rd had a daughter & a mother in law (?) of this name . (There were 13 Lydias in Acc 1871) This James was a cloth sizer and died in his 30s. I am looking for a link between him and the Hargreaves family. I am hoping that there are Cunliffes around today who have researched their family and can provide the information. Gayle - (and anyone else who knows any Cunliffes) -Please ask if they can help.
The Henry Cunliffe I quoted earlier didn't have a son Robert.
are you looking at the right time frame for all this, Lydia St was named on that map in 1863. The houses weren't built until the 30 years later. There might be sumat in council planing minutes around 1860 to decide on those names, some one must have been given authority to supply the names, and by the 1890's Accrington had become a borough.
Retlaw
Old 17-12-2010, 13:02   #6
Senior Member+

I feel sure I am looking at the right time frame. It was quite common for streets to be named many years in advance of any building being started.
I have clearly erred in putting Robert down as Henry's lad ( he had James plus 3 other sons & 2 daughters) . Robert was a cotton manufactrurer too. I have made an assumption and am pleased to have had my mistake pointed out. I haven't seen any Local Board (pre- Corporatuion) minutes. I have looked at the plans for streets which are in a cabinet in the library
Old 17-12-2010, 14:43   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
I feel sure I am looking at the right time frame. It was quite common for streets to be named many years in advance of any building being started.
I have clearly erred in putting Robert down as Henry's lad ( he had James plus 3 other sons & 2 daughters) . Robert was a cotton manufactrurer too. I have made an assumption and am pleased to have had my mistake pointed out. I haven't seen any Local Board (pre- Corporatuion) minutes. I have looked at the plans for streets which are in a cabinet in the library
Tried sending a copy of the 1901 census for Robert Cunliffe, but the
dammed attchement button kept telling me there was script errors on the page. Rebooted and trying again. Sent it to you by email as well.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cunliffe. Robert.jpg (184.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 17-12-2010, 15:27   #8
Senior Member+

Got it ta. Henry did have a son Robert, born 1852. He is on 1861 census.
Old 17-12-2010, 18:21   #9
Full Member+

Quote:
Got it ta. Henry did have a son Robert, born 1852. He is on 1861 census.
My mother was a Cunliffe, her parents John Cunliffe and Margaret Cunliffe nee Wallbank. Have never researched the family tree properly, but know my granparents were of farming stock and finished their days on a smallholding in Tottleworth, Rishton.
Children were Gertrude, Clara (my mother), Alma, Margaret and Raymond.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 07:05   #10
Senior Member+

I checked the Cunliffe family you mention Bob. James was born in 1838 and died in 1870. He married Martha Pickles in 1863. They had one daughter Lydia Alice born 1864 and she married Francis Rothwell in 1892 but she also was a widow in 1901. Also living with them was Lydia Pickles, Martha,s unmarried sister. I couldn't find any connection with the Hargreaves family though.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 13:58   #11
Senior Member+

Not been on for a while really, so must have missed this posting. The Robert Cunliffe Orchestra was EXTREMELY important in this town. I believe they were connected with the New Jerusalem Church. I have a large sepia photo of the whole orchestra outside Oak Hill Mansion House. One of the violinists was related to Joseph Briggs of Tiffany fame.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 14:04   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Not been on for a while really, so must have missed this posting. The Robert Cunliffe Orchestra was EXTREMELY important in this town. I believe they were connected with the New Jerusalem Church. I have a large sepia photo of the whole orchestra outside Oak Hill Mansion House. One of the violinists was related to Joseph Briggs of Tiffany fame.
My dad played in this orchestra .. the violin. Can't remember any type of religious connecton though. Mind you, probably later than your photograph.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 14:22   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
The connection with the New Jerusalem was in the use of the school in Hargreaves St, I could hear them every practice night when I was a lad.

Retlaw.
Old 15-01-2011, 14:42   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The connection with the New Jerusalem was in the use of the school in Hargreaves St, I could hear them every practice night when I was a lad.

Retlaw.
In Oct 1959, when I started work at Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance, the Accrington office was split in two separate buildings, and one part was housed on Hargreaves St in an old sunday school building.
On looking at google maps, there is only one old building left standing. It is on the side of the street that I remember, but I am not sure whether it was the building MPNI used, because I don't remember there being an 'upstairs' to it.
Accrington BB5, United Kingdom - Google Maps
Do any old timers remember?
That section of the office dealt with retirement pensions, widows pensions, welfare foods, and NI contributions. It was very busy four times a year when National Insurance cards needed renewing (according to expiry for the number ending letter A B C or D)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 20:33   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
In Oct 1959, when I started work at Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance, the Accrington office was split in two separate buildings, and one part was housed on Hargreaves St in an old sunday school building.
On looking at google maps, there is only one old building left standing. It is on the side of the street that I remember, but I am not sure whether it was the building MPNI used, because I don't remember there being an 'upstairs' to it.
Accrington BB5, United Kingdom - Google Maps
Do any old timers remember?
That section of the office dealt with retirement pensions, widows pensions, welfare foods, and NI contributions. It was very busy four times a year when National Insurance cards needed renewing (according to expiry for the number ending letter A B C or D)
Youv'e got the right building Margaret, it was used as a Sunday School originally, it has always been two storeys. In the 1950 Williams a tool firm used it, before they moved to Water St. I lived across the street at no 17 untill 1957, my parents lived there until they knocked all the houses down, can't say I ever saw it used by M.O.P

Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..