Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2014, 20:59   #1
Junior Member+

Dancing at Church Con 1955/7

Any one ther e ever go dancing at CHURCH CON about 1955.Jimmy Middlehurst was the organizer.I remember a few of the names of the would be dancers Joe Rushton George Hyatt Kevin Cooney Cyril Yates Geoff Kirkham one of the Martins (cake shop in Osw) Norma Rushton Irene Tattersall Pat Broadhurst Alwyn Whitely Pat Littlefair. Great times not a lot of us left
wapthrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-09-2014, 05:43   #2

re: Dancing at Church Con 1955/7

I used to go up the Con before I went into the Army in 1956, Fred Skinner took over from Jimmy Middlehurst Didn't Geoff Kirkham come from up Church St way near St James in 1956School.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 08:56   #3
Junior Member+

Hi Keith,Geoff Kirkham lived in Church his family ran a coach business I think he still lives in the west end
wapthrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 19:11   #4
Senior Member+

Can't even remember where the Con was, Kirkham's garage was opposite the Tanpits pub I think - stored my car there when I was posted out to Borneo in '63.
Old 26-09-2014, 19:26   #5
God Member

Re: Dancing at Church Con 1955/7

In the late 50s Church Con was the Saturday night gathering place for Teddy boys.
I only 'went out' with a ted briefly. He took me to the Con and I recall a massive fight that filled the dance floor - people stood on the chairs around the room sides to watch - I never went back !
The place was notorious for its 'Teddy boy battles'
It still stands-
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Chu...,309.06,,0,2.8

Last edited by MargaretR; 26-09-2014 at 19:31.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 20:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapthrush View Post
Any one ther e ever go dancing at CHURCH CON about 1955.Jimmy Middlehurst was the organizer.I remember a few of the names of the would be dancers Joe Rushton George Hyatt Kevin Cooney Cyril Yates Geoff Kirkham one of the Martins (cake shop in Osw) Norma Rushton Irene Tattersall Pat Broadhurst Alwyn Whitely Pat Littlefair. Great times not a lot of us left
In 1959 I used to work with a George Hyatt. Thinking of his age at that time he may well have been the George Hyatt you mention, but because he was a few years older I only knew him at work. A nice guy.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 00:13   #7
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=MargaretR[/QUOTE]

Thanks Margaret, It wasn't my stamping ground - Morts, Knowlemere St, Ritz, Accy Con and one or two in foreign areas - burnley, Nelson & Rawtenstall
Old 27-09-2014, 01:54   #8

Yes you are correct, Fred Kirkham first started in the West End Area, then he moved to a shop in Church Kirk Lane (on the right going towards the Church just up from Grimshaw St), his shop was one of about 4 (Butchers, cake shop, Fish and Chips). Geoffs sister married an Accrington Stanley Footballer , I think he was called John Ryden, and was transferred to Tottenham Hotspurs. Further if my memory serves me correctly the Kirkhams then moved to an House on Blackburn Rd opposite the Lodge near the Queens Hall.
Old 27-09-2014, 02:38   #9

An amendment to my post#8. The street in Church was "Church St" not Church Kirk lane, and the footballer could have been a chap names "McNicol". Please forgive me but the events were 60 years ago. Ihave to get back to my malt whisky.
Old 27-09-2014, 06:46   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
An amendment to my post#8. The street in Church was "Church St" not Church Kirk lane, and the footballer could have been a chap names "McNicol". Please forgive me but the events were 60 years ago. Ihave to get back to my malt whisky.
That would be Bob McNicol, keith, a good fullback,one of me childhood idols.
Old 27-09-2014, 23:14   #11

Fred Kirkham, Bob McNichol and their families died in a plane crash en route to the Canaries around 1970.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 11:54   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
Fred Kirkham, Bob McNichol and their families died in a plane crash en route to the Canaries around 1970.
Think it would be mid/late 70s? cos i was living in church at the time.?
Old 29-09-2014, 02:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Can't even remember where the Con was, Kirkham's garage was opposite the Tanpits pub I think - stored my car there when I was posted out to Borneo in '63.
The Con Club was on the right going up towards Ozzie, about 1/2 way between the junction of Blackburn Rd. Fred Kirkham started off by carting for the NEL Dairies (West End). My father was in the Kings Own Regiment in the early 40s Fred moved My Mum, self and sister in the front of his wagon from Lancaster to Church.

I am saddened to hear of the tragic death of the Kirkham's in the 70s. Vale
Old 09-01-2015, 21:45   #14

The whole family was killed, the pilot was given a bearing by Spanish Air Traffic to fly straight into mount Taedie It left only Geoffrey, God bless, he must have suffered.
Frank Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 21:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapthrush View Post
Jimmie Middlehurst used to give dancing demonstrations and suddenly, the lights went out, and he and his partner were lit up with fairy lights. It was very spectacular.
Frank Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..