Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2013, 16:03   #1
Full Member+

Doreen Clegg

Wonder if anyone remembers Doreen Clegg who lived in Great Harwood.She started at Accrington High Schoole for Girls in 1955, left in 1960. Married Walter Halstead and had a son David. Emigrated to Australia some years ago. I am sorry to report that she died on the 11th Feb 2013 just 4 days after her 69th birthday.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2013, 19:00   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Doreen Clegg

It would be good if there was an Accrington Girls High School Old Girls Association, but there isn't. I know that the girls of 1953 ( Margaret R's lot) are holding a reunion soon .I will ask the organiser if she is in contact with any other 'years' and tell her of Doreen. If you know that Walter attended the Grammar School, ask him to make contact with me.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 19:25   #3

My sister was at the High School - couple of years older than Doreen - and still keeps in touch with some of her old school mates (not like us chaps!). Thing is you probably knew best the kids in your year (or even just you own form) so 30 - 40 at most.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:53   #4

@ Bob Dawson - Walter did not attend Accrington Grammar School. He came from Blackburn,though that wouldn't necessarily exclude him form attending, I guess. Prior to marrying Doreen he served in the Royal Navy.

Mrs Querty advises that Accrington High School are having a 75 year Reunion next September 2014. She was in the same year as Doreen at AHS and has 6 monthly 'lunches' with other members of that year. She will pass on the sad news about Doreen's passing.

She was a close friend of Doreen back then and was bridesmaid when Doreen married Walt. He left for Australia around 1971 leaving Doreen and David behind. We last saw her 5/6 years ago when she returned to Great Harwood for a couple of years, having previously lived in the Tottington area. She then went to live in Australia, some where in the Perth area.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:09   #5
Senior Member+

Thanks for the info on the 2014 reunion. I'll buy a gym slip and some navy blue knickers so as to sneak in. Thanks Mrs Querty please, Qwerty Bob Dobson
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Wonder if anyone remembers Doreen Clegg who lived in Great Harwood.She started at Accrington High Schoole for Girls in 1955, left in 1960. Married Walter Halstead and had a son David. Emigrated to Australia some years ago. I am sorry to report that she died on the 11th Feb 2013 just 4 days after her 69th birthday.
Do you have a link to a newspaper obit for more details or her married surname? Of course Clegg was her maiden name and she remarried after the split with Walt. An internet search for 'Doreen' hasn't been helpful
Old 12-05-2013, 11:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Thanks for the info on the 2014 reunion. I'll buy a gym slip and some navy blue knickers so as to sneak in. Thanks Mrs Querty please, Qwerty Bob Dobson

I'm sure everyone will look forward to photographs of your transformation....
Old 12-05-2013, 11:35   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
I'm sure everyone will look forward to photographs of your transformation....
I sure won't, he looks bad enough in Mens Clothes.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:25   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Jesus H Christ Dobbo, tha bad enough now wiout any dressing up, thall ev yon clown fro Clitheroe making up ghost story's & other gory tales abeyut thi.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 18:33   #10
God Member

Quote:
If you are looking for navy blue knickers from that era, I have a couple of pair in my trophy case
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 19:57   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
If you are looking for navy blue knickers from that era, I have a couple of pair in my trophy case
Only a couple, thowt thad a dun better than thad
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 21:38   #12
Full Member+

Mrs querty might know me too then.Doreen was one of my best friends at the High School
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..