Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2015, 19:06   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Family History/Accrington/Pitt St area

I have sent kflannigan a PM. I will try to find some more information for him when next in the library. If anyone has time to do some research, it would be useful to look at the Observers in February of each year to see when the Cricketer's Arms licence was surrendered.
I advise kflannigan to look at he website of the Lancashire Family History Society. It is possible to ask if any society members are interested in Inghams and to send them an email.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2016, 08:39   #17
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflannigan View Post
Thank you for the information! I don't know what it's like in England but here street names and house numbers tend to change over time so I wonder if it was the same pub as 4 Pitt St. I have it listed at 29 Pitt St in the 1881/1891 census but the family was living at 5 Pitt St in 1861. (1871 they were at Stanley St) and he (Robert) seemed to be a laborer ...sounded like some kind of metal or blacksmith work... then all the sudden he's a beerseller. Maybe he took over the business and moved it down the road or something. Do you know when the street name changed from John St?
The Cricketers Arms was on the same side as the Queens on the next corner so couldn't have been number 4 and it wasn't on Melbourne Street that pub was The Old House At Home
lynxkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 18:25   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Pitt St actually came up to Birtwistle St, there was also a Higher Pitt St, facing the Prince of Wales, and a Back Pitt St.
I lived at number 78 Higher Pitt St. until I was five we were next door but one to the Common Lodging House. There was a small street across the road that led up to the back yards of Elephant St. but I can`t remember the name of it. Frank T
Frank T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 03:00   #19
Senior Member+

The Cricketers' Arms was No 29 Pitt St and was close to Barnes St and the Queen's Hotel in Barnes St. It was a beerhouse which meant it could sell beer but not spirits. When beerhouses started up they did not need a licence and tended to be in smaller premises such as houses. Pitt St was on land previously owned by two families - the Peels and the Lee-Warners. It is likely that the Peels chose its name, as they would be matey with both Pitt and Melbourne, MPs in the government of another Peel - Sir Robert, brother of Jonathan Peel of Accrington House. By the time of the Inghams being landlords, a beer-selling licence issued by local magistrates was needed. It was common for a husband to have a job and for his wife to run the pub.
Mill owners building houses for their workers near to the mill was common in places where there was not a big population and sufficient housing. I have not heard of their being any such houses in Accrington.
Other nearby streets named after politicians were Stanley St and Clarendon St
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..