Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2013, 16:44   #1
Junior Member+

Family History/Accrington/Pitt St area

Hi!

I'm doing some family history research in the area going back to the late 1800's early 1900's. I'm actually from Canada so I don't know the area at all and was hoping someone could help. I have a couple questions!! The first question is regarding the Cricketers Arms. My 3x great grandparents (Susannah and Robert Ingham) seem to be living at 29 Pitt St (Cricketers Arms) from the 1880's to early 1900's as beersellers. Now I don't know whether the owned the pub or rented/leased. Would she likely be a landlady? (...the only knowledge I have of pub's comes from watching Coronation Street!!! lol!). Also is this pub still there or can anyone remember it being there? My other question has to do with the cotton industry in the area. Other members of the family were employed as cotton weavers and lived on Pitt St. as well at the time. It seems to me that there were probably many cotton factories around at the time. From research I've done on the industry itself I believe that it was common for factories to provide housing to their employees near the factories. Would anyone know whether the Pitt St area was part of houses owned by a local factory. If so what cotton factory would have owned housing in the area or what were the local cotton factories in the area at the turn of the century? I don't know if anyone can help me with this or not but it's worth a shot! Thanks!
kflannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2013, 18:44   #2
I am Banned

Re: Family History/Accrington/Pitt St area

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflannigan View Post
Hi!

I'm doing some family history research in the area going back to the late 1800's early 1900's. I'm actually from Canada so I don't know the area at all and was hoping someone could help. I have a couple questions!! The first question is regarding the Cricketers Arms. My 3x great grandparents (Susannah and Robert Ingham) seem to be living at 29 Pitt St (Cricketers Arms) from the 1880's to early 1900's as beersellers. Now I don't know whether the owned the pub or rented/leased. Would she likely be a landlady? (...the only knowledge I have of pub's comes from watching Coronation Street!!! lol!). Also is this pub still there or can anyone remember it being there? My other question has to do with the cotton industry in the area. Other members of the family were employed as cotton weavers and lived on Pitt St. as well at the time. It seems to me that there were probably many cotton factories around at the time. From research I've done on the industry itself I believe that it was common for factories to provide housing to their employees near the factories. Would anyone know whether the Pitt St area was part of houses owned by a local factory. If so what cotton factory would have owned housing in the area or what were the local cotton factories in the area at the turn of the century? I don't know if anyone can help me with this or not but it's worth a shot! Thanks!
Pitt St has long gone since they built Eastgate a so called bypass to the town. Pitt St was originally called John St, as for the Cricketers Arms, in my files it was at 4 Pitt St back in the mid 1800's, some times they weren't proper pubs as such, just a couple of houses joined together, in some ale houses it was just the front room of a house, with barrels on a trestle.
There were so many cotton mills around Acc that it would be difficult to say which one they worked at.
Can't find them living in Pitts St in the 1914 Burgess Rolls.
Turtle likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 18:50   #3

I took a look on the Find My Past website for the address you mentioned. In 1891 there is a Susannah Ingham, head of household, widow, Beerseller at the Cricketer's Arms. She has a servant and her 10 year old granddaughter living with her. In 1901, it's still listed as the Cricketer's Arms. In 1911 however, a new family lives there, and while the head of the household's occupation is 'Beerseller' there's no mention of it being the Cricketer's Arms. It is an 8 room 'house', so maybe they just didn't mention it on the Census form.

I googled old pubs of Accrington, and found the Lost Pubs Project website. It names a Cricketer's Arms on Melbourne St., closing in 1966. I don't know if this is the same pub, moved to a different address, or a totally different business.

About the cotton mill supplying housing for the workers: I've never heard of it, but maybe some other members on Accy Web can help with that.

Good luck with your search for info! I'm in Canada too, by the way, and rely totally on the Internet for my genealogy research.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 19:14   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Pitt St was actually a continuation of Melbourne St as i recollect.
Turtle likes this.
Old 27-09-2013, 19:31   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Pitt St was actually a continuation of Melbourne St as i recollect.
I don't think Melbourne St existed back in them days Cashy.
Old 27-09-2013, 20:23   #6
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Family History/Accrington/Pitt St area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Pitt St has long gone since they built Eastgate a so called bypass to the town. Pitt St was originally called John St, as for the Cricketers Arms, in my files it was at 4 Pitt St back in the mid 1800's, some times they weren't proper pubs as such, just a couple of houses joined together, in some ale houses it was just the front room of a house, with barrels on a trestle.
There were so many cotton mills around Acc that it would be difficult to say which one they worked at.
Can't find them living in Pitts St in the 1914 Burgess Rolls.
Thank you for the information! I don't know what it's like in England but here street names and house numbers tend to change over time so I wonder if it was the same pub as 4 Pitt St. I have it listed at 29 Pitt St in the 1881/1891 census but the family was living at 5 Pitt St in 1861. (1871 they were at Stanley St) and he (Robert) seemed to be a laborer ...sounded like some kind of metal or blacksmith work... then all the sudden he's a beerseller. Maybe he took over the business and moved it down the road or something. Do you know when the street name changed from John St?
Old 27-09-2013, 21:22   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I don't think Melbourne St existed back in them days Cashy.
It existed when i was a little lad, lived just around the corner, before then have no idea.
Old 27-09-2013, 21:31   #8
God Member

Melbourne St ran from Burnley Rd to Stanley St, then it became Pitt St from Stanley St to Plantation St according to an old map
Turtle likes this.
Old 27-09-2013, 21:32   #9
God Member

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...map-50337.html
Old 27-09-2013, 22:02   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Melbourne St ran from Burnley Rd to Stanley St, then it became Pitt St from Stanley St to Plantation St according to an old map
Pitt St actually came up to Birtwistle St, there was also a Higher Pitt St, facing the Prince of Wales, and a Back Pitt St.
Old 27-09-2013, 22:11   #11
Senior Member+

I cannot find my copy of 'An Accrington Mixture' which might give an address for the Cricketers' Arms. It will also tell whether it was a beer house or did it sell spirits and wine. The custom of mill owners providing housing did not apply in Accrington - usually only in villages. Join (on-line) the Lancashire County Library library, which will give you access too 19th century newspapers. Using keyword Ingham and Cricketers, Pitt, select the Blackburn papers - it may bring something up. Look at censuses 1881 1891 and 1901. Moving from labourer to publican was a step up the social ladder
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 22:56   #12
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I took a look on the Find My Past website for the address you mentioned. In 1891 there is a Susannah Ingham, head of household, widow, Beerseller at the Cricketer's Arms. She has a servant and her 10 year old granddaughter living with her. In 1901, it's still listed as the Cricketer's Arms. In 1911 however, a new family lives there, and while the head of the household's occupation is 'Beerseller' there's no mention of it being the Cricketer's Arms. It is an 8 room 'house', so maybe they just didn't mention it on the Census form.

I googled old pubs of Accrington, and found the Lost Pubs Project website. It names a Cricketer's Arms on Melbourne St., closing in 1966. I don't know if this is the same pub, moved to a different address, or a totally different business.

About the cotton mill supplying housing for the workers: I've never heard of it, but maybe some other members on Accy Web can help with that.

Good luck with your search for info! I'm in Canada too, by the way, and rely totally on the Internet for my genealogy research.
Thank you very much for the information! I was able to find the site you mentioned. I'm trying to remember exactly... but I don't know whether it was the cotton mills or coal mines or maybe both but I believe the company owned or had something to do with the local housing sometimes... More or less landlords... I think I read that somewhere years ago and I also remember it being mentioned on Who Do You Think You Are (UK) as well (I'm hooked on that show! It helps with understanding the society and culture of the time especially since I've never even been to England). But.... I don't know how common the housing was for sure.
US Angel and Turtle like this.
Old 27-09-2013, 22:57   #13
Junior Member+

Old 27-09-2013, 23:45   #14
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I cannot find my copy of 'An Accrington Mixture' which might give an address for the Cricketers' Arms. It will also tell whether it was a beer house or did it sell spirits and wine. The custom of mill owners providing housing did not apply in Accrington - usually only in villages. Join (on-line) the Lancashire County Library library, which will give you access too 19th century newspapers. Using keyword Ingham and Cricketers, Pitt, select the Blackburn papers - it may bring something up. Look at censuses 1881 1891 and 1901. Moving from labourer to publican was a step up the social ladder
Thank you! I don't think I can get a membership though because I'm not in the U.K. I sent the application though... I guess we'll see lol!
Old 13-01-2015, 16:49   #15

Hi I have tried to reply to this request for info. but have had no response, maybe thru this link will be more successful, if you still wish to continue your search please reply to this email.

rgds jim
jim hacking is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..