Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2013, 06:56   #1
Senior Member+

Family History Fair 2013

On Saturday 14th September there will be a Family History Fair in King George's Hall, Blackburn 10am-4pm. It is run by all the FH societies in the North West and will be a large event, with lectures held in one of the halls away from the main one. There will be lots of help and advice on hand from members of the societies, many of whom are expert , all of whom will be trying to help.
Judith Addison likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-08-2013, 08:00   #2

Re: Family History Fair 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
On Saturday 14th September there will be a Family History Fair in King George's Hall, Blackburn 10am-4pm. It is run by all the FH societies in the North West and will be a large event, with lectures held in one of the halls away from the main one. There will be lots of help and advice on hand from members of the societies, many of whom are expert , all of whom will be trying to help.
What a shame (about the date I mean) it coincides with the big one for us footy fans,by the way Bob I talk with a chappie down at Ewood who knows you Derek Barnes!
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 16:34   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassy rvr View Post
What a shame (about the date I mean) it coincides with the big one for us footy fans,by the way Bob I talk with a chappie down at Ewood who knows you Derek Barnes!

His name means nowt to me - but don't tell him.
hassy rvr likes this.
Old 31-08-2013, 09:33   #4
Senior Member+

More details about the fair ( lectures etc) are on the society's website.
Old 01-09-2013, 19:44   #5
Senior Member+

Members of the society's Hyndburn branch will be manning a stall. They also help out at the society's research room/library in The Straits, Ossie as will as holding help sessions in Accrington ( and other?) library and having a monthly meeting in Acc library
Old 06-09-2013, 21:11   #6

Sounds brilliant, Bob! Wish I could have gone but I'm volunteering at Gawthorpe Hall that day as it's Heritage Open Day! I was invited to the Lancashire Family History Society lecture at Accrington Library on Tuesday. It was really interesting - Tony talking on "In Flew Enza". Must go again!
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:15   #7
Senior Member+

Another reminder. This is an annual fair but rarely comes to our part of Lancashire. There will be plenty of free advice as well as the opportunity to buy rare local and family history-related items.
Old 12-09-2013, 22:44   #8
Full Member+

Sounds like a fun day out for all no matter where you go
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 06:04   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Angel View Post
Sounds like a fun day out for all no matter where you go

48hrs to go - get yourself over here sharpish.
Old 22-09-2013, 01:19   #10
Full Member+

As much as I would have liked to there was no way possible
Hope all the town are still in one piece after the footy match
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 16:20   #11

I went, it was a shame they decided against having chairs around the hall for visitors to sit on. I'm 3 months post back operation and ended up in agony as a result of there being no seating. Apart from the pain, i had some interesting discussions with some of the stall holders and finally got around to joining the Lancashire Family History Society.
xavtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 20:08   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavtia View Post
I went, it was a shame they decided against having chairs around the hall for visitors to sit on. I'm 3 months post back operation and ended up in agony as a result of there being no seating. Apart from the pain, i had some interesting discussions with some of the stall holders and finally got around to joining the Lancashire Family History Society.
I will bring it to the notice of the organisers. I sold only one Accrington book, though I had several. However, today, after spotting that one member on here had mentioned that she had Hamriding ancestry, I have given her a book which was almost certainly owned and signed by one of her Clayton ancestors. She lives a mile away from where he lived. I am as pleased as she is. As a member of the society, you can now attend meetings in Accrington library, attend the research room in The Straits, Ossie and ( recommended) join the society's on-line forum.
Old 22-09-2013, 21:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I will bring it to the notice of the organisers. I sold only one Accrington book, though I had several. However, today, after spotting that one member on here had mentioned that she had Hamriding ancestry, I have given her a book which was almost certainly owned and signed by one of her Clayton ancestors. She lives a mile away from where he lived. I am as pleased as she is. As a member of the society, you can now attend meetings in Accrington library, attend the research room in The Straits, Ossie and ( recommended) join the society's on-line forum.
Thanks. Am going to sign up for the forum now
Old 23-09-2013, 05:36   #14
Senior Member+

I will look out for you queries. Send Accyweb a report on your query and the success achieved. I think that membership of this society is worthwhile, esp if you live near Ossie.
Old 23-09-2013, 10:33   #15

I tried to sign up, the sign up page doesn't work with the firefox browser so I tried with internet explorer and although the page works, information not recognised. I'm sure it will sort itself out. I don't live in Ossie, I live in Rawtenstall but am from Accrington.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..