Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By Rosalind Oakes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2014, 10:32   #1
Senior Member+

Family history searching

A tip - the Lancashire Family History Society's website has a new facility which is open to all.
On the home page is a turquoise block about surnames. Click onto it to bring up boxes allowing you to ask if any members are researching the surname or the township that you are interested in. An email is sent to the member with your contact details on it, as well as a brief message. Yesterday I received an email from a member within twelve hours of me having sent a query.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-12-2014, 22:01   #2
Full Member+

Re: Family history searching

Thanks for that Bob. I will definitely have a look.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 09:11   #3
Full Member+

Thanks
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 14:01   #4

I am looking for information about Esther Pryce who was living at 92 Steiner Street, Accrington, in 1884. I believe she was a Russian Jewish immigrant working in the cotton mill as a cotton winder. She married by certificate (no banns read) John Stephens on 4th July 1884, son of Mrs Eliza Dale, of 15 Hope Street, gave birth to my grandmother, Esther Mary Stephens on 4th September 1884 and died two weeks later of septicemia and exhaustion. Does anyone know:
1) anything about the Jewish community in Accrington in the 1880s
2) if I might be able to view the certificate obtained for a quick wedding, as it may contain important info, and if so, where?

Many thanks!

Rosalind Oakes
Rosalind Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 19:31   #5
Senior Member+

If you are a member of the Lancashire Library system, you can access the 19th century newspapers on-line using your card number. Search the Blackburn newspapers available using keywords Go into the library's website There was a sizeable Jewish community in Blackburn at that time. There is an essay on that community in the book A Blackburn Miscellany , which I edited and published. There should be a copy in Accrington Library
Old 27-04-2015, 11:10   #6

Thank you for your swift resonse. I live in Shropshire but plan to come up to Accrington in the summer holidays so will have a look at the library then. Many thanks! Rosalind Oakes
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 27-04-2015, 11:25   #7
Senior Member+

There is a Jewish Museum in Prestwich, a short drive from Accrington, and probably the bus to Manchester passes it. There is a Jewish Family History Society also. The local branch of the Lancashire family History Society meets in the library - see the website, and every Thursday afternoon the society's library/work room in Ossie is open to anyone. They will try to help you.
Old 22-08-2015, 12:52   #8

Hi Bob

Thanks for your very helpful response and sorry for the delay in replying. I have now discovered through an ancestry.co.uk DNA test that my great-grandmother was Prussian by birth, not a Russian Jew, so I haven't followed up the information you gave me yet, although I think the woman who brought her up, Eliza Dale, must be connected in some way to the Jewish community.

You and all the people on the Accrington Web do a wonderful job of helping ancestor-hunters like me - thank you very much.

Best wishes

Rosalind Oakes
Old 22-08-2015, 16:51   #9
Senior Member+

That's OK, RO
Old 19-01-2016, 13:23   #10
Junior Member+

Hello Bob, do I have to be a member to contact others? Thanks Elaine
elaineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 13:53   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaineB View Post
Hello Bob, do I have to be a member to contact others? Thanks Elaine
No you don't.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..