Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-12-2011, 09:10   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Family research

Me too... we would love to see photos of Biggins Farm... it was part of our heritage.. also if the farm is ever up for sale... please let me know
waynefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-12-2011, 09:12   #17
Junior Member+

thanks, Thats Uncle Henry.. Henry addison... mum use to stay a biggins farm in the fifties... when she was a little girl.. no idea when the farm changed hands
waynefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 22:11   #18
Junior Member+

Oh wow! Sorry, I've only just seen this reply! Ive been busy at Biggins Farm...it's now rebuilt and there's lots of noises being heard in here!! Any info on the addisons would be brill 😊
Jackiegibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 09:09   #19
Senior Member+

This thread is 12yrs old, and the last posting before yesterday was over 4yrs ago. - I love it when this happens.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 12:38   #20

Hi there,

I see this thread has been inactive for a while but I just discovered some of my ancestors lived at and ran the Colliers Arms in 1901 (from the census of that year, while researching on Ancestry.co.uk), and as verbally passed on from my grandad they have a family connection with Florence Rushton for the person who posted early in the thread! If anyone is still getting notifications for this and is interested please reply and we can discuss further, but for now I won't spend ages and detail the entirety.

Rebecca
Ent8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2024, 14:09   #21

I know this thread is very old but I’ve only just seen it. My Great-uncle, John Addison, and his family used to live at Biggins Farm. Later, one of his sons, Henry, who was a first cousin to my Dad (also John Addison) took it on. I’m not sure when John Addison moved into the farm but he had a big family, mostly sons. He and my Grandad, James Addison, were brothers. They were brought up as children in Clayton-le-Moors, near Accrington. They lost their Dad (another John Addison) when they were young children - he was killed in a mining disaster, aged 32. One of Great-uncle John’s sons, Varlow Addison, was killed in the First World War, at the Battle of Loos. I think it was around that time that the family moved from Richmond Hill Street in Accrington up to the Farm.

When I was physically fit many years ago I used to lead walks for the Hyndburn Group of the Ramblers’ Association and sometimes used to walk round that area. When you walk past the cottages on Moorgate you come fairly quickly to the former Colliers’ Arms (20/22?) and then to Biggins Farm. There’s a network of Public Rights of Way in that area.

Henry Addison and his wife moved back into the urban core of Accrington in later life. I never met them but I remember my Dad visiting them occasionally on Exchange Street. I think the farm later belonged to his son, also Henry Addison, but he moved to another part of the country.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..