Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By landhusweg
  • 1 Post By taddy
  • 1 Post By taddy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2019, 18:32   #1
Full Member+

Frank and May Carnes

Does anyone know of any relatives in the area of Frank and May Carnes.
May Carnes (nee Guest) was a workmate of my mothers back in the last century, at Broad Oak.
Frank Carnes worked at Carborundum in Clayton le Moors.
They had a son Martyn Carnes.
We think both May and Frank had siblings in Clayton le Moors.

They lived in Hodder Street and Cromwell Avenue before emigrating to Tasmania in the 1960s.

We had an address for them in Tasmania but the house was sold in late 2018 and contact has since been lost. I have carried out searches of the hatched, matched and despatched sections of the local paper in Tasmania but to no avail.

I have a few other lines of enquiry on the go but I wouldn't want anyone in the Accrington area to miss out on all the fun.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2019, 07:46   #2
Full Member+

Re: Frank and May Carnes

Further research has revealed that Frank Carnes passed away in 2016 in Tasmania.
The name Harling is connected to the ascendants of Frank.

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Old 15-01-2019, 08:47   #3
Beacon of light

I worked at the Carborundum in Clayton from 1969-1973.
Maybe he no longer worked there then.
There were also two sites in Clayton....the bottom factory(didn't make bottoms) was located at the bottom end of Lower Barnes St and made the huge rolls of abrasive material.
The top factory was what used to be The Spaanjards(not sure of that spelling...it was pronounced Spanyards) weaving mill on Oak St.
I can only remember one man called Frank...but his surname was Lupton.

I know this isn't a great deal of help but it might loosen someone's else's brain stones.
Morecambe Ex Pat likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 10:33   #4
Full Member+

Thanks Margaret, I don't know which factory he worked at, just that he worked there.
I was convinced that Carborundum was on Atlas Street but I must be getting confused with Allspeeds.

Frank was a boiler maker by trade but had a number of jobs, one of which involved driving wagons to Scotland. They emigrated in 1969 so you were probably ships passing in the night.

I have made some progress by finding a record of Frank's funeral and helpfully, there is a video of his funeral in which the eulogy tells his life story. The service also included messages of condolence from his sister and niece who live in the UK although I don't know just where. My mother remembers that his sister lived in Clayton but that was many years ago.

Old 15-01-2019, 10:44   #5
Beacon of light

It is good that you have managed to get so much valid information...it gives you a good starting point for your search.
Was Blake Vitreouse Enamel factory on Atlas Street too....I vaguely remember it being there....or seeing the wagons there.
I am giving my age away there....I bet there won't be many that remember Allspeeds or Blake Vitreouse Enamel.
I came to live in Clayton when I married late 1966....so been here a fair while.
Old 15-01-2019, 11:02   #6
Full Member+

Only 1966, do you think the locals will accept you?

My sister lives at the top end of Clayton but thy have only been there for about 15 years so haven't got into the inner circle yet.

Old 15-01-2019, 11:28   #7
Beacon of light

No, I am still that 'new girl(I like the girl bit) from Accrington'.
Morecambe Ex Pat likes this.
Old 17-01-2019, 07:46   #8

Funny hearing that although you’ve been in Clayton for so many years, that you are still “the new Girl”.
I didn’t know that this was the case in Clayton, I do know that it was the case in Baxenden. I remember a friend telling me that at a funeral in Baxenden of a man aged around 90, somebody said “he wasn’t a true “Bashi you know” as he came here when he was a boy”!
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 09:29   #9
Beacon of light

It is definitely like that....I think that all the small villages(and that is what they are) have this culture.
My father and grandfather were both born, christened and married in the churches in Clayton....but because I did not move here until I was 19....I am an incomer.
Not that it bothers me overmuch as many of those who called me that are looking on the meadows of eternity(sounds a bit more sensitive than 'dead').
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 22-01-2019, 10:02   #10
Full Member+

We are still going with this unfortunately.

Names I have are Dorothy Harling, James Harling, Steven Harling and possibly Karen Hamer. I have more details about these people, birth dates etc. but prefer not to put too much information on an open forum.

If these names mean anything to anyone in the area, please get in touch.
Thanks

Old 26-04-2023, 11:52   #11

Steven Harling was a postman at Accrington Post Office, and Karen Hamer was a counter clerk. They married but separated after a short time. She still goes by the name of Karen Harling.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 15:42   #12

[QUOTE=Michael1954;1272264]Steven Harling was a postman at Accrington Post Office, and Karen Hamer was a counter clerk. They married but separated after a short time. She still goes by the name of Karen Harling

E, by gum, I thought that the postal service has been slow since privatization but four years to answer a post on Accy web must take the proverbial biscuit, no offence meant, Just an observation.
Bob Dobson likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 21:02   #13

[QUOTE=taddy;1272267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Steven Harling was a postman at Accrington Post Office, and Karen Hamer was a counter clerk. They married but separated after a short time. She still goes by the name of Karen Harling

E, by gum, I thought that the postal service has been slow since privatization but four years to answer a post on Accy web must take the proverbial biscuit, no offence meant, Just an observation.
I used to work with Karen. I haven’t seen her for a long time, so I did a search of her name on Google and came across this post. I haven’t been on Accy Web for several years, hence the late, very late, comment!
Old 28-04-2023, 12:18   #14

[QUOTE=Michael1954;1272276][QUOTE=taddy;1272267]

I used to work with Karen. I haven’t seen her for a long time, so I did a search of her name on Google and came across this post. I haven’t been on Accy Web for several years, hence the late, very late, comment!

OK Michael, it was only a "smart A--- Jest from me, at my age I should really know better, stay happy, stay safe, regards, Taddy.
Bob Dobson likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 18:46   #15

[QUOTE=taddy;1272293][QUOTE=Michael1954;1272276]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post

OK Michael, it was only a "smart A--- Jest from me, at my age I should really know better, stay happy, stay safe, regards, Taddy.
It’s OK. I took it as a joke.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..