Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2012, 05:08   #1

Question Greetings from a Hindle Researcher

Hi, I am new at this game, and am now bogged down in so many Hindle names I am about to give up.
I am looking for information and records on Christopher Hindle born about 1805 in Accrington Lancashire, and dying about 1867.His father was Marsden Hindle and mother Nancy Jepson I think.
Christopher married an Elizabeth ??Tattersall I think although I have no source for that. Their children were George William, Alice ,Christopher,Joseph,Thomas,Henry,Benjamin,Illingwo rth, and Mary.
I was using Ancestry.com, but am no longer subscribed; however it did not come up with many historical records which helped.

Do hope someone is able to help with finding my ancestors which may show some sources??

Glenys
Glenys is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-02-2012, 08:42   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Greetings from a Hindle Researcher

In Accrington there are as many Hindles in the phone book as Patels in Bradford. One of my Hindles went to Australia. I will be sending you a PM - your very first. (Private Message). You will be hearing from Atarah for sure. A Mary Hindle from Haslingden was deported to Aus after being convicted of taking part in a riot in 1826 - a tragic story.
I make my oft-repeated advice: join the Lancashire Family History Society (Google) even if for one year only- attach yourself to the Hyndburn branch and join the society's yahoo forum.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 11:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenys View Post
Hi, I am new at this game, and am now bogged down in so many Hindle names I am about to give up.
I am looking for information and records on Christopher Hindle born about 1805 in Accrington Lancashire, and dying about 1867.His father was Marsden Hindle and mother Nancy Jepson I think.
Christopher married an Elizabeth ??Tattersall I think although I have no source for that. Their children were George William, Alice ,Christopher,Joseph,Thomas,Henry,Benjamin,Illingwo rth, and Mary.
I was using Ancestry.com, but am no longer subscribed; however it did not come up with many historical records which helped.

Do hope someone is able to help with finding my ancestors which may show some sources??

Glenys
Glenys there are a couple of really good sites for you to look at which have wonderful records for this area

www.lancashirebmd.org.uk

Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project -

You can also join a new facebook group where people can post messages and ask for help for this area. If you want the details then PM me and I will give you the details.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 11:51   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenys View Post

Glenys
In 1851 the family lived in Woodnook Rd.
Christopher, Head Block Printer born in Ossy
Elizabeth Wife born in Ossy
no Alice
Christopher. Son born in Ossy
Thomas. Son born in Ossy
Joseph. Son born in Accy
no Henry
Benjamin. Son born in Accy
Illingworth. Son born in Accy

Woodnook Rd, is now Nuttall St.

Last edited by Retlaw; 15-02-2012 at 11:54.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 14:02   #5
Senior Member+

Hi, there was a Christopher Hindle who was supposed to have murdered a lady in Warner Street, Accrington.
Wonder would you like to "claim him as yours" tee hee.
Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 19:49   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, there was a Christopher Hindle who was supposed to have murdered a lady in Warner Street, Accrington.
Wonder would you like to "claim him as yours" tee hee.
Atarah
.................................................. .....

This was in 1896. The deceased was Mrs Coates. Young Chris was found GUILTY but was spared the noose. He was 15yrs old and ' a tall, well-built lad'.
Old 20-02-2012, 18:07   #7

Hi Gleny's
Hope this help's.

James Hindle b 1738 and Hannah Marsden b c1742 in Blackburn was married at St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn 15th February 1763.
Children Alice 1783, Christopher 1765, Mary 1768, Rachel 1772, Marsden 17th March 1775, John 1777, and James 1781.

Marsden Hindle b 17th March 1775 and Nancy Jepson b 8th April 1776 in Hoddlesden, was married at St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn 7th January 1799.
Children - Christopher b c1804.

Christopher Hindle b c1804 and Elizabeth Tattersall b c1803 was married at St James, Church Kirk 4th July 1825.
Children are George 1828, Henry 1830, Christopher 1834, Thomas 1837, Joseph 1838, Benjamin 1842-1899, and Illingworth 1844-1855.

John
Attached Files
File Type: txt GLENYS - HINDLE.txt (7.4 KB, 20 views)
Acstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:38   #8

Hi Glenys, have just found this website and I am a Christopher Hindle descendant.On of his sons Henry is my Great grandfather. He emigrated to Australia in 1854 and lived in Breen St Bendigo. We may be able to exchange some info on the Hindle family, I know there are an awful lot of them, not all of the same family though.
Whitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 00:42   #9

Thankyou all for your help.
Whitey, is the Henry you mention the one born about 1830; did he marry a Claringbold?
E Mail [email protected]
Would love to hear from you.
Glenys
Glenys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 21:55   #10
Resting in Peace

wonder if there are any members of this lad's family still in the area.... or the Coates family?
Christopher Hindle who committed the murder on Warner Street... of Sarah Coates:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 08:31   #11
Senior Member+

A pal of mine has done extensive work on Hindles. A common belief is that they all come from a Hindle fold' in Gt Harwood, though I have my doubts. I will enquire if he will start corresponding with other Hindles.
Old 19-11-2013, 12:31   #12
Senior Member+

Hi Whitey, so you are in Australia. You know anything about Mary Hindle who was transported there from Haslingden, she was allegedly involved in the Plug Loom Riots in the mid 1800's. My Accrington Hindle's originally came from Haslingden, and I have often wondered if we may have a slight connection.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 20:18   #13
Senior Member+

I have spoken to my pal , who is going to send me some stuff, with the OK to let any Hindles - even Atarah- have his contact details.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..