Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2010, 15:46   #1
Senior Member+

Hallworth family, gt harwood

My mother was from a Gt Harwood/Clayton family called Hallworth. She died when I was 4yrs old and I have had no contact with them. I was recently contacted by a chap in Staffordshire and we share the same great grandad. I am hioping to gain knowledge of the family. On the 1891 census, Great grandparents Elisha & Janet listed their children:- Frances ellen,George Wm, Eliza,Jonathan,Esther,Arthur, Lucy ann, james, Albert & (later) Bertha. Anyone descended from these people and would like to exchange notes with me & others I have found?

email: [email protected] or PM me.

I have sent off to the Hyndburn branch of the Lancashire Family History Society to see if any member is a Hallworth.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2010, 17:11   #2
I am Banned

Re: Hallworth family, gt harwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
My mother was from a Gt Harwood/Clayton family called Hallworth. She died when I was 4yrs old and I have had no contact with them. I was recently contacted by a chap in Staffordshire and we share the same great grandad. I am hioping to gain knowledge of the family. On the 1891 census, Great grandparents Elisha & Janet listed their children:- Frances ellen,George Wm, Eliza,Jonathan,Esther,Arthur, Lucy ann, james, Albert & (later) Bertha. Anyone descended from these people and would like to exchange notes with me & others I have found?

email: [email protected] or PM me.

I have sent off to the Hyndburn branch of the Lancashire Family History Society to see if any member is a Hallworth.
There's an Albert Halliwell on Gt Harwood memorial
K.I.A. 2-10-1918 in Salonika.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 19:05   #3
Senior Member+

Th'are loysin' it Retlaw - here's me askin'abeawt Hallworth and thee talking abeawt Halliwell. Heawtbe - I think this is a slip of the fingers and you really mean Albert Hallworth, so it could well be my grandma's brother. Any further inflammation?
Old 24-09-2010, 22:06   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Th'are loysin' it Retlaw - here's me askin'abeawt Hallworth and thee talking abeawt Halliwell. Heawtbe - I think this is a slip of the fingers and you really mean Albert Hallworth, so it could well be my grandma's brother. Any further inflammation?
Its Halliworth Albert.
the previous entry in my file was a Halliwell W.
I've no other info on HALLWORTH there is no
family info on the C.W.G.
Not found any service records, may never, all the dead mens
files were weeded out of the records, only found 3 dead men in the 1000 odd files I've got so far.
One disadvantage wi blokes from Snuffy, its a dead zone as far as newspaper reports go, very few were reported in the Accy Observer, and the Blackburn papers only had one columm devoted to Gt H, Rishton & Clayton.

Retlaw.
Old 25-09-2010, 08:02   #5
Senior Member+

Thanks. I will look further into it. My suspicion is that this might be a mistake on the part of the organisers. I have never heard of the surname Halliworth with an 'i' in the middle, but there are plenty of Hallworths.
Old 25-09-2010, 08:48   #6

I have a memory of an elderly lady with the surname Hallworth at Barnes Square Methodist in Clayton when I was growing up in the 1960's. Don't know if there might be any records there that would help your search.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 08:57   #7
Senior Member+

This is a possibility, as the family had lived in Clayton before moving to Snuffy. I will have a looksee
Old 25-09-2010, 10:43   #8

dear bob.
there was a hallworth family that lived on edward street in great harwood.
Old 25-09-2010, 20:56   #9
Senior Member+

I have learned that not only did Retlaw mis-write young Albert's name, so did the war grave people in that his name on the tombstone is shown as HOLLWORTH.

Is there anyone in Snuffy who would take me a pic of the war memorial and Albert Hallworth's name on it please?
It's the anniversary of his death next Saturday. A photo of his grave was found amongst my aunt's papers when I cleared the house. Albert was her uncle, though she was only three when he was killed.It probably meant a lot to my grandma.
Old 25-09-2010, 22:47   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
I have learned that not only did Retlaw mis-write young Albert's name, so did the war grave people in that his name on the tombstone is shown as HOLLWORTH.

Is there anyone in Snuffy who would take me a pic of the war memorial and Albert Hallworth's name on it please?
It's the anniversary of his death next Saturday. A photo of his grave was found amongst my aunt's papers when I cleared the house. Albert was her uncle, though she was only three when he was killed.It probably meant a lot to my grandma.
Is this what tharafter.
Took it about 15 years ago, probably more letters missing now.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gt Harwood War Memorial..jpg (204.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 25-09-2010 at 22:49.
Old 25-09-2010, 23:25   #11
Senior Member+

Thanks Retlaw. If you weren't such an ugly ******, I think I would kiss you. I feel quite emotional about a relative I knew nothintg about until last week.
Old 26-09-2010, 11:39   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks Retlaw. If you weren't such an ugly ******, I think I would kiss you.
Only if I'm under an anesthetic.

I feel quite emotional about a relative I knew nothintg about until last week.
Retlaw.
Old 24-11-2010, 23:27   #13

The Hallworth family are still in Harwood as far as I'm aware, a few years back I dated Emily Hallworth, A lovely young lady who's currently in London,
magaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..