Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 17:48   #61
Caz
God Member

Re: Hanna Street School

When I was there, 57ish- it was Miss Moss, Miss Grimshaw, and Miss Anson/Mrs Miller. Remember going to her wedding at Peel st Baptist Church. When I was there, the "Baby class" had what seemed like a huge rocking horse, but looking back it was probably just me that was tiny.

Still treasure a letter from Miss Moss which I got long after I had left, asking how I was doing at my new school. She even came to visit me when I was ill. Can't remember how old she would be back then, and just wondering if she is still around.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-11-2008, 10:01   #62

Re: Hannah Street School

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
ah I remember Mrs Barns... you would have been there when I was: My mum also used to work at the cafe... do you have any pics of the area or school... Magpie
i'm hoping so i know we had quite a few,but for some reason my mum decided to cut them all up to make a coluage one of them things were you stick aload of pics to make one big pics.anyhow i'll go and dig out what i can
stevie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:12   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
When was the police box on Ormerod Street removed I have a vague recollection of it being there probably in the mid 60's however I could be mistaken

I went to the Barbers I think on Higher Antley Street as a child but it wasn't on the corner it 4 or 5 properties away from Ormerod Street with a large red leather chair.

In the mid late 70's I sold the newspapers for the first week of Accy holidays as at that time only newsagents were permitted to sell newspapers. it was my first paid employment

how times have changed
i can't remember the police box,but i remember the local bobby his name was george thompson he lived round the corner from me on brown st i recieved a couple of slaps on the legs off him for going on what i remember we called swanie lake and once for walking over the railway bridge across the lake and then got another wack off my mum when george told her what i'd done.the next day i'd see him an all was forgiven wish we had that sort of bobby now
Old 12-11-2008, 19:15   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie96 View Post
i'm hoping so i know we had quite a few,but for some reason my mum decided to cut them all up to make a coluage one of them things were you stick aload of pics to make one big pics.anyhow i'll go and dig out what i can

Cheers Stevie... I have a group pic somewhere when I had birthday party will have a look this weekend and pm you a copy ( if you don't laugh at my home made hair cut ) it was the 60's and times were hard... I remember the factory fire... and the cafe had to close for a day or so. I lived on Victoria Street and my dad got me up to watch it ... must have been nothing on TV
cheers magpie
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 22:47   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
i can't remember the police box,but i remember the local bobby his name was george thompson he lived round the corner from me on brown st i recieved a couple of slaps on the legs off him for going on what i remember we called swanie lake and once for walking over the railway bridge across the lake and then got another wack off my mum when george told her what i'd done.the next day i'd see him an all was forgiven wish we had that sort of bobby now
ah george thompson!!!! one of the old school, first rate local bobby, remember him n his pushbike well, even though he clipped me lughole, lol have a great story about him, but aint prepared to print it.
Old 13-11-2008, 07:23   #66

Quote:
Cheers Stevie... I have a group pic somewhere when I had birthday party will have a look this weekend and pm you a copy ( if you don't laugh at my home made hair cut ) it was the 60's and times were hard... I remember the factory fire... and the cafe had to close for a day or so. I lived on Victoria Street and my dad got me up to watch it ... must have been nothing on TV
cheers magpie
i remember it to we lived next to shop so we were told to leave from what my dad tells me he thinks the fire was 1966
Old 13-11-2008, 12:18   #67

Quote:
i remember it to we lived next to shop so we were told to leave from what my dad tells me he thinks the fire was 1966

which fire are we referring to I've looked back over the thread and can't find any reference to a fire

If it was the one and H and B my grandad and dad both worked there and would have thought it was late 60's
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 14:52   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
which fire are we referring to I've looked back over the thread and can't find any reference to a fire

If it was the one and H and B my grandad and dad both worked there and would have thought it was late 60's
yep sorry about that, it was H and B my dad reckons it was 1966 don't remember to much about it ,only i couldn't find my spuds once the fire was out,and come to think about it my tortoise went walkabout that night
Old 13-11-2008, 16:06   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
yep sorry about that, it was H and B my dad reckons it was 1966 don't remember to much about it ,only i couldn't find my spuds once the fire was out,and come to think about it my tortoise went walkabout that night
hm strange but true I got a tortoise around that time.... I will ask my dad where it came from:
Old 13-11-2008, 17:49   #70

Quote:
There was a booby who had a lock up garage next to the Richmond pub. Is that the one you meant? Curious because I always thought he lived on Richmond Rd.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 23:15   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
the shop on the corner of ormerod st and brown st was run by micheal cavanagh and is wife
Your absolutely right,Hardware etc downstairs and a joiners work shop upstairs.
He used to make window frames for me.
He also had a large stock of hardboard in a building across the street next to Victoria Glass..But there was a large hardware shop on the St that ran along the bottom of the top block of Pendle St.lived there for 5 years. May have been Perth St.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 08:46   #72

Quote:
did any of you go there in the 60's I was there in 1966/7
another thing i remember was the fold away library and the play house in mrs barnes class and if im not wrong because it was one of the biggest clases we had assembly in it as well maybe
Old 14-11-2008, 16:02   #73
Resting in Peace

I remember the play house... and used to love the library: I used to go into the play house for sleep :-) I am trying to remember a little boy there I think his name was
Michael Miles something like that.... Magpie
Old 15-11-2008, 18:12   #74
Caz
God Member

When I went there, the Wendy house was in the main hall, to the left as you came through the main doors. The book corner was there too. The rocking horses and the rest of the big toys were in the reception class.

The main hall was also where we had the assemblies.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 22:34   #75

I know I went to Hannah street school but I wasn't there long. I remember getting sweets for reading off a teacher who I think was called Mrs Bradbury. We lived in Maiden street at the time. We then moved to Cedar street and I went to Benjamin Hargreaves (St Pauls) followed by Hollins.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..