Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23   #91

Re: Hanna Street School

I went to Hanna St school in 1950 and subsequently to Spring Hill and then Accrington Grammar .I lived in Marsden st...mum liked the fish and chip shop at the corner of Ormerod and Richmond Hill St.I remember there was a sweet shop next door (Mum also liked Walls ice cream). Mum sent me to the barbers on the corner of Richmond Hill st and Holden St just around the corner from Hanna St school.Just down Ormerod St were quite a few shops.On the left a newsagent, opposite was a sweet shop,think there was a dress shop,but it,s a long time ago,can,t remember.I used to deliver newspapers for a newsagent at the corner of Higher Antley St and Garbett St(best time of the year was Xmas as I went round begging for tips....very successfully).My first job after leaving school a year early was at the first Supermarket in Accrington...Maypole ..which opened up on Broadway. I then went on to join dad at Howard and Bulloughs at Stevenson St and worked there for a few years before migrating to Australia.
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2011, 19:32   #92
JCB

If that barber was Bacigalupo , you were the same as me . I used to dread it. Men talking till the cows come home , and he was so slow .

I just wanted to get home for my tea or play out ; anything but the barber .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 07:52   #93

Yeah well....you,re right ....he was slow..and he only seemed to know short back and sides....(a style cut ,boy?....what,s that?)
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 11:30   #94
Senior Member+

Iron mongers was Kavanaghs
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 20:33   #95
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I have just remembered someone else; Michael Woods lived in a house near theSpring Hill Car Club?

He was soooooooooo brave, stood on and killed a cockroach that jumped off my pump bag!
Funnily enough about 10 years later I believe he ended up going out with a friend of mine from Rhyddings who lived in Belthorn
Hi Michael Wood ( no s) here thanks for remembering me, trying to remember you but having trouble (old age) I remember alot of the names said in the posts. I lived at 11 Holding st & somebody has nicked that the last time I looked, take care all. ps the girl in Belthorn was called Linda Perry who was born on the same day as me.

Last edited by Acky252; 19-01-2012 at 20:36.
Acky252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 20:57   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acky252 View Post
Hi Michael Wood ( no s) here thanks for remembering me, trying to remember you but having trouble (old age) I remember alot of the names said in the posts. I lived at 11 Holding st & somebody has nicked that the last time I looked, take care all. ps the girl in Belthorn was called Linda Perry who was born on the same day as me.

Hi Michael

Did you go to Spring Hill and left in 71
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 20:58   #97
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
When was the police box on Ormerod Street removed I have a vague recollection of it being there probably in the mid 60's however I could be mistaken

I went to the Barbers I think on Higher Antley Street as a child but it wasn't on the corner it 4 or 5 properties away from Ormerod Street with a large red leather chair.

In the mid late 70's I sold the newspapers for the first week of Accy holidays as at that time only newsagents were permitted to sell newspapers. it was my first paid employment

how times have changed
I must know you as I worked at the papershop from 73 to 76 ish & I sold them from the shop doorway in the holidays was it Rodney Hulmn who had the shop??
Old 19-01-2012, 21:04   #98
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
Hi Michael

Did you go to Spring Hill and left in 71
Thats spot on mate left in 71 to go Hollins, Woodnook first of course.
Old 20-01-2012, 07:12   #99
Senior Member+

I went to Hannah Street Infants from 1954 to 1957 so did both my brothers. Miss Moss was the head mistress. My cousin Barbara Wildgoose was in my class with Jim Sharp, and Maurice Davies. I cant remember any more.
Old 20-01-2012, 07:15   #100
Senior Member+

I remember filling paper bags with water from the tap in the boys toilet and throwing them over the wall into the girls toilets.
Old 20-01-2012, 10:04   #101
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I went to Hannah Street Infants from 1954 to 1957 so did both my brothers. Miss Moss was the head mistress. My cousin Barbara Wildgoose was in my class with Jim Sharp, and Maurice Davies. I cant remember any more.
Jims still about, used to mate wi his brother the late Dennis.
Old 20-01-2012, 10:18   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Jims still about, used to mate wi his brother the late Dennis.
Not seen Jim for years.If I remember correctly he was the quiet one.

A bit like I was.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 19:00   #103
Senior Member+

Jim was the sensible one
Old 20-01-2012, 20:07   #104
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Jim was the sensible one
Still is, but his brother was more like me.
Old 20-01-2012, 20:25   #105
Senior Member+

I went to Hannah Street Infants around 1956 not sure when you had to go to school but I was born in Sept. 1951 so 56 ish. Miss Moss was the headmistress then. I remember my first day at school, home time especially, as my mum asked how I had been, and Miss Moss replied "good as gold" I didnt understand what that meant, and pondered it for years.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..