Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Trumpton
  • 1 Post By taddy
  • 1 Post By taddy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2013, 13:00   #1
Senior Member+

HARGREAVES of Broad Oak & Oak Hill

Have we any members who are descended from this family ? I'd like to find a family tree. So far my enquiries of the local branch of the Lancashire Family History Society have drawn a blank
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-05-2016, 19:22   #2
Junior Member+

Re: HARGREAVES of Broad Oak & Oak Hill

I remember Deborah and David who lived in Oak Hill Close. Their dad had a Carpet shop in Accrington.
Trumpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 19:56   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpton View Post
I remember Deborah and David who lived in Oak Hill Close. Their dad had a Carpet shop in Accrington.
There are lots of Hargreaves in and around Acc. Are David & Deborah descended from the Hargreaves who were a major land-owning family here ?
Old 13-05-2016, 02:20   #4
Junior Member+

Sorry I have no idea. They lived up the road from us and we used to play out together when we were kids.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Trumpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 14:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Have we any members who are descended from this family ? I'd like to find a family tree. So far my enquiries of the local branch of the Lancashire Family History Society have drawn a blank
There is a Nigel Hargreaves who lives in the village, he is the brother of Thomas Hargreaves who wrote the book "Within Grove in 2001, I think that he may be a relation of the Hargreaves line who had Broad Meadows colliery, (Huncoat Pit), shaft sunk in the late 19th Century.

Hope this helps, stay happy as alway's,Your's, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 08:25   #6
Senior Member+

I will try to further this, Taddy - ta
Old 15-05-2016, 09:32   #7

Happy to help, a friend of mine is related to Nigel so if you want me to ask him any questions just ask. Stay happy as alway's, Your's, Taddy.
Old 15-05-2016, 20:29   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Happy to help, a friend of mine is related to Nigel so if you want me to ask him any questions just ask. Stay happy as alway's, Your's, Taddy.

Yes please - that would be useful
Old 16-05-2016, 09:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Yes please - that would be useful
Please tell me what questions you want me to ask, by pm if you like. Your's,Taddy.
Old 16-05-2016, 13:45   #10
Senior Member+

Sjmply - are you descended from the Hargreaves who lived in Oak Hill Park & owned collieries.? I'd like to know more about the family. Before living in Acc, they lived in Burnley.
Old 16-05-2016, 20:32   #11

Leave it with me but might be a while as he is on holiday at the moment.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:55   #12

Quote:
Leave it with me but might be a while as he is on holiday at the moment.
Hello Bob, I had a word with my mate yesterday and he says that he will have a word with Nigel and get back to me; I will keep you informed. Stay happy, Your's, Taddy.
Old 06-07-2016, 20:32   #13

Quote:
There is a Nigel Hargreaves who lives in the village, he is the brother of Thomas Hargreaves who wrote the book "Within Grove in 2001, I think that he may be a relation of the Hargreaves line who had Broad Meadows colliery, (Huncoat Pit), shaft sunk in the late 19th Century.

Hope this helps, stay happy as alway's,Your's, Taddy.
Bob,my mate has come back to me after having a word with his relative Nigel Hargreaves; unfortunately Nigel is not related to the Hargreaves that were large land owners in the Accrington area. Nigel's Grandmother bought Within Grove Farm in Huncoat from another Hargreaves family whom he say's were large land owner's in the area at the time, possibly the same Hargreaves family that you were enquing about.
Sorry that I cannot be of any more help.Your's Taddy.
Old 06-07-2016, 20:33   #14

Sorry, should have ended, Taddy.
Old 07-07-2016, 19:00   #15
Senior Member+

Ta Taddy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..