Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AlisonBarnes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 05:30   #1
Junior Member+

Haworths in Accrington area?

Hello. My grandmother Jenny Haworth was born to John George Haworth and Margaret Ann Stones. She was born 31st August 1907, Nelson St, Accrington. She married Worthy Daw 1929 in Haslingden and had 3 children . Her first Geoff was born Percival St in Ac crington 1930, Shiela in 1934 Burnley St, Accrington. Nans mum died 6 October 1923 at 102 Wellington St, Accrington of heart failure. Nan went to live at Red Lion pub in Green Haworth where apparently her grandfather was proprietor .. he was called Broughton Haworth. John George Haworth her father was one of the Accrington Pals. he was injured in Battle of Somme. After his wife died he remarried a Rosy from Waterfoot and had other children. My nan, and her two sisters .. Florence and Gladys .. lived with him for awhile but moved out as soon as they could. I would love to make contact with any of her step brothers and sisters and their children? They would be under name of Haworth ..and his name was John George Haworth? It would be lovely. Nana died aged 97 and her ashes scattered on her sons property here in australia and her youngest sister Gladys died only in last two months and i believed she stayed in Accrington area all her life .. last name of Bracewell i believe. Anyway would LOVE to make contact with anyone. Debs
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2009, 12:26   #2
I am Banned

Re: Haworths in Accrington area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by he was called Broughton Haworth. [COLOR=navy
John George Haworth [/COLOR]her father was one of the Accrington Pals. he was injured in Battle of Somme. Debs
What was his number in the Pals there are two J.G. Haworth's.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 23:04   #3
Senior Member+

Retlaw, I checked John George and there are two no.s on his card- 33669 & 17975. He was in the reserves so one may be from there.??
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 14:00   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Retlaw, I checked John George and there are two no.s on his card- 33669 & 17975. He was in the reserves so one may be from there.??
Hi ossy kid.
I dont know wher you got that from I'm using
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline
The number for HAWORTH John G. 33669 is Kings Liverpools, he has two cards one as John and the other as John G.
Can't find the number 17975, which is an E Coy number
The other John George Haworth is in the East Lancs records as 15897 in Burnley Coy.
If you type in 17975 East Lancashire it comes up with two men in the machine gun corps.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 14-07-2009 at 14:02.
Old 15-07-2009, 00:21   #5
Senior Member+

Hi Retlaw, I got it from his "Short Service Paper" Info is - John George Haworth address 59 Nelson St Acc 36yrs 6mth weaver married Served before as volunteer with the E. Lancs Rg. Dated 7 Jan 1915 11 Battn East Lancs Reg. Acc. no 17975 crossed out and 33669 entered above it. Ossykid.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 10:51   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Hi Retlaw, I got it from his "Short Service Paper" Info is - John George Haworth address 59 Nelson St Acc 36yrs 6mth weaver married Served before as volunteer with the E. Lancs Rg. Dated 7 Jan 1915 11 Battn East Lancs Reg. Acc. no 17975 crossed out and 33669 entered above it. Ossykid.
Hi ossy kid, so thats what happened to him, he disappeared of the radar after the Pals arrived at Caernarvon, that now makes 7 who transferred to the Liverpools. If he shows previous in the E.L., he could have been in M & N coys National Reserve.
I'll bet Bill Turners laughing his socks off, he's now got all the details and their numbers and postings.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 15-07-2009 at 10:55.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:23   #7
Junior Member+

Hi Debs, my name is Alison Conboy& John George Haworth is my Grandad. He married my Grandma, Edith Green from Rawtenstall on 25th July 1925. They had four children together plus your Grandma & aunties so their house would have been quite full. I don't remember much about your family as I was only born in 1964 but do occasionally remember them visiting their Grandma. John George died in 1942 so I never met him. He seems to have been quite a disciplinarian from what my Mum used to say but even she was only 11 when he died. All four of John & Edith's children have died but there are some of the next generation still around. They had a son, Broughton in 1927, twin girls Alice & Mary Ellen in 1929 & my Mum Brenda in 1930. they had ten children between them, nine of whom are still alive as far as I know although I am not in touch with all of them. Hope this helps you out. With regard to The Pals, John George did transfer to the King's Liverpool regiment which is why he has two numbers but I don't know anything about injuries on the Somme. I don't log on very often but will look for you again next time I do. With warmest wishes to you, Alison Conboy. (ps you can find me on facebook if you like, there are only two people with my name & the other one is my niece).
cashman likes this.
AlisonBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..