Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2011, 15:21   #1
Junior Member
 

Help our lady notre dame

Hello i am looking for a convent our lady of Notre Dame i have a lady in my care she is one hundred years old she speaks fondly of her time in Accrington we live in yorkshire so i have not got a clue if it is still there.Sara Margaret has some wonderful pics of her time there nuns children ect where she boarded she went on to teach and also played in the Philomonic she plays the cello she was born in Blackburn in 1910 hope some one remembers the convent Many Thanks
RAICHANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2011, 15:42   #2
Full Member
 

Re: Help our lady notre dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAICHANN View Post
Hello i am looking for a convent our lady of Notre Dame i have a lady in my care she is one hundred years old she speaks fondly of her time in Accrington we live in yorkshire so i have not got a clue if it is still there.Sara Margaret has some wonderful pics of her time there nuns children ect where she boarded she went on to teach and also played in the Philomonic she plays the cello she was born in Blackburn in 1910 hope some one remembers the convent Many Thanks
There was a Notre Dame in Blackburn

BLACKBURN PAST: Notre Dame Convent - Whalley New Road / Cob Wall
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 16:12   #3
Member
 

Re: Help our lady notre dame

There was a Paddock House convent in accrington but I am not sure
which order of nuns.

regards
Maria
Mariam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 18:31   #4
Full Member
 
jelly baby's Avatar
 

Re: Help our lady notre dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariam82 View Post
There was a Paddock House convent in accrington but I am not sure
which order of nuns.

regards
Maria
The order was the Sisters of Mercy. Not that they showed much!
__________________

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 19:29   #5
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: Help our lady notre dame

The only Notre Dame I know of in the area was at Blackburn....and if this lady was born in Blackburn as you say, then it is most likely to be the place where she was a boarder.
__________________
Stop wearing a wishbone where your backbone should be.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 19:33   #6
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: Help our lady notre dame

Apparently this convent was taking boarders up to 1951, when it became Notre Dame Grammar School.
__________________
Stop wearing a wishbone where your backbone should be.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 19:59   #7
Full Member
 

Re: Help our lady notre dame

I have sent you a PM, I went to Notre Dame myself, and I have sent via PM a link to a website that a former pupil set up, and it has memories on there from past pupils, and photos of the lovely chapel.

I hope it brings a smile to the ladies face
__________________
The impossible I can do at once, miracles take a little longer
forceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 09:32   #8
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: Help our lady notre dame

Did they ever have boarders at Paddock House
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 17:33   #9
JCB
Senior Member
 
JCB's Avatar
 

Re: Help our lady notre dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Did they ever have boarders at Paddock House
Yes , Jaysay , but they were few and far between , and in the earlier days of the school .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 21:15   #10
Full Member
 

Re: Help our lady notre dame

I've had a reply from the thread starter to thank me for the link I sent via pm. It has been sent to the ladies family, and they are going to submit her memories and photos to the site as well
__________________
The impossible I can do at once, miracles take a little longer
forceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 21:25   #11
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: Help our lady notre dame

That is really good Forceten........I am sure she will have some very interesting memories to add and that you have helped her....and her family.
__________________
Stop wearing a wishbone where your backbone should be.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 21:51   #12
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: Help our lady notre dame

Nice one Forceten.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 22:03   #13
Junior Member+
 

Re: Help our lady notre dame

I attended Paddock House convent school from 1946 - 1950 and remember Sheila Baxter, Rhona Birtwistle and others. Anyone else there at that time? Does the school still exist? Any information would be helpful, thank you, June (Phillips - Whitby)
jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 06:13   #14
JCB
Senior Member
 
JCB's Avatar
 

Re: Help our lady notre dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenks View Post
I attended Paddock House convent school from 1946 - 1950 and remember Sheila Baxter, Rhona Birtwistle and others. Anyone else there at that time? Does the school still exist? Any information would be helpful, thank you, June (Phillips - Whitby)
Paddock House Convent Grammar School amalgamated with Holy Family Secondary Modern School to become Mount Carmel Comprehensive School .

Initially Mount Carmel was on two sites , the Paddock House site and the Holy Family site .

When the building in Fern Gore was enlarged Mount Carmel became a single site school .

The buildings of the old Paddock House School were demolished .

The Paddock House Convent continued for a number of years until the nuns left to work elsewhere .

The Convent was demolished .

There is housing now on the sites of the school and the convent .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 18:19   #15
Junior Member+
 

Re: Help our lady notre dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Paddock House Convent Grammar School amalgamated with Holy Family Secondary Modern School to become Mount Carmel Comprehensive School .

Initially Mount Carmel was on two sites , the Paddock House site and the Holy Family site .

When the building in Fern Gore was enlarged Mount Carmel became a single site school .

The buildings of the old Paddock House School were demolished .

The Paddock House Convent continued for a number of years until the nuns left to work elsewhere .

The Convent was demolished .

There is housing now on the sites of the school and the convent .
Thank you so much for this information, it saves me a long journey only to find out that my lovely old school has been demolished.
jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:09.


© 2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.54828 seconds with 11 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1