Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2006, 06:58   #106

Re: holy family

mr pickering was metalwork.
Old 07-07-2006, 18:36   #107
Senior Member+

Saw your Mr Bentley at cricket last week;he is hale and hearty despite being a Church fan! Also Miss Almond (Christine) sadly died about 15 years ago after a bravely fought battle with cancer;she was a friend to many and a wonderful woman.
Old 11-07-2006, 21:42   #108

I was at holy family from 77-82 and remember all of the above teachers.
Some more that I remember are
Mr Swarbrick- English lit, Mr & Mrs Ryder, he taught History, Mr Robinson- English.
I remember Mr Almond caning the whole class for talking outside in the hallway, also you were not allowed to pick up a pen whilst he was talking as well as sit with your hands on your head.
magily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 00:56   #109

I remember the ROSLA block it was built for the 5th years. Rising Of School Leaving Age. I think 4th and 5th years were allowed to eat lunch there.
What was the name of the female teacher who was the Hyndburn mayor approx 1977, we had a school trip to the town hall and had to all play a part in a mock town hall meeting. Going to Malham as part of Geography was also a school trip I remember.
Old 12-07-2006, 19:16   #110

Think the female teacher's name was Miss (Winnie) Hogan. I really liked and respected that teacher when i was there.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 19:51   #111

Spoke to my sister today and the teacher that I was thinking of was Miss Hall. Anyone remember her, she was a nice lady. I think she was responsible for the girls, she was who you had to go to if you had a problem.
Old 12-07-2006, 20:49   #112
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Nice one Magily I never knew what ROSLA stood for, I can just about remember I think she was called Jessie Hall.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 21:17   #113

You are right Bagpuss it was Jessie Hall,at some point when I was there 77-82 she was the mayor of Hyndburn I seem to recall.
Old 13-07-2006, 19:19   #114

Sad to read in todays Observer that Mr Pickering, my old metalwork teacher, has passed away.

He was a nice bloke, although he did cane me for breaking a file (rasp?), so I'd like to register my condolences to his family
Old 13-07-2006, 19:58   #115
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Just read that myself, it has to be said he was not one of my favourite teachers so I chose woodwork but sad for his family that he died age 63 RIP.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 18:50   #116

I was there 67 - 71 remember all of those teachers very well. The one that sticks in my mind was Mrs Ainsworth the Cookery teacher. She once whacked the back of my hand with a big bunch of keys because I was wicked enough to make the slit in my pie with a knife and not scissors!!!! My hand was swollen after. That would be a case of child abuse these days. By the way if I make a pie these days I ALWAYS make the slit with a knife, just to say to Mrs Ainsworth.....on yer bike, I do it My way!!
Carole G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 20:05   #117

Spent most of my school life loking at my shoes, almond was a sadistic **** Mulderic at least cained you in the office Spent half my life in that office !!!!!!!! CRABBY !!!!!!!!!!!:engsmil:
Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 20:13   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
had a mrs mitton down at junior school but cant put a face to one at holy family?

Mrs Mitton sacred hart wasent it names mick crabtree if your ex S/H and H/F must no you
Old 02-08-2006, 20:22   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
who was there when the rossie block was up and it used to be packed around the back with smokers?
me, phill brady, neil donaoe, paul boocock ,and 60% of the school

!!!!!!!!!!!CRABBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:engsmil:: not_ripe:
Old 10-08-2006, 07:15   #120

Wink Re: holy family

Hello every one I went To Holy Family from 76-81. it was such a good laugh reading some of the post I remember most of the teachers names. ans Jessie hall. was great. spent most of my time getting my mark and whacking it. any one remember Mrs Baker PE.
gem5665 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..