Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013, 23:17   #31

Re: Huncoat Colliery

I'm Bob Bannister's nephew. I can confirm that my uncle Bob did work in the mines. He was called up as a "Bevin Boy". I'm not sure what year.

My Grandad, Dad and Uncle Bob all worked for the family business as window cleaners after the war. My dad left the business, setting up on his own. Bob and my Grandad carried on the window cleaning business until Grandads death in 1973. Bob then carried on until he retired around 1980. He then moved to Middleton, next door to Heysham, where he lived until his death in 2008.

During his wrestling career he was known as Robert Retsinab from Hungary. The reason this came about was when a promoter had forgotten his "ring name" and at the last minute turned his real name around. This stuck with him throughout his wrestling career
cashman likes this.
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2013, 05:48   #32
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
I'm Bob Bannister's nephew. I can confirm that my uncle Bob did work in the mines. He was called up as a "Bevin Boy". I'm not sure what year.

My Grandad, Dad and Uncle Bob all worked for the family business as window cleaners after the war. My dad left the business, setting up on his own. Bob and my Grandad carried on the window cleaning business until Grandads death in 1973. Bob then carried on until he retired around 1980. He then moved to Middleton, next door to Heysham, where he lived until his death in 2008.

During his wrestling career he was known as Robert Retsinab from Hungary. The reason this came about was when a promoter had forgotten his "ring name" and at the last minute turned his real name around. This stuck with him throughout his wrestling career
Thanks very much for the info, You should be very proud of Bob and your Grandad. I dont think I remember your dad on the Windows but I am sure you were proud of him anyway, but I do remember your Grandad and Bob very well. Bob was a Bevin boy therefore he worked in the mines through the war years. I remember Your grandad always carried a small triangle shaped ladder as he did the downstairs windows but Bob carried the long extension ladder on one shoulder the bucket etc in the other hand and walked as if he was on Parade all the time. A big strong man. All us kids, Me our Brian, Malcolm Taylor, Tony Boardman all wanted to be like him when we grew up. A fine man and a gentleman. In fact he was one of my hero,s when I was a kid.
cashman likes this.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 14:56   #33

My brother-in-law Steve Clough worked Hapton Valley around about that time.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 19:07   #34

That's a wonderful tribute Mog, I know from lots of other people that my Uncle Bob was highly respected throughout the town. Thanks.
cashman likes this.
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 19:21   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
That's a wonderful tribute Mog, I know from lots of other people that my Uncle Bob was highly respected throughout the town. Thanks.
Mog was up last weekend, Tell him yerself next time he ventures north. he popped in Railway fer n hour sat dinner.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:59   #36

I worked at Huncoat Colliery from 1956 to 1964 prior to that I had been at Hoddlesden Colliery. I have a photo of me and David Sidebottom coming out of the pit about 1958.
Mine2mkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:55   #37
Senior Member+

I was clerk to Jimmy Cregg, the Hincoat undermanager ( under Mr Holroyd) 1957. I loved Jimmy and the job. I moved to Hapton Valley as clerk to manager Eric Whatmore for a year. Great time for me.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:33   #38
Mog

I remember david sidebottom very well you must remember the three duffy brothers. Mick, Pat and Bill. I worked up the Rise until Huncoat shut. When i was at Bank Hall we used to go to Hoddlesdon to make clay stemming for shotfireing.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 18:05   #39

re.huncoat.colliery.i.worked.there.for.10.years.be tween1954-1964...first.of.all.as.a.timber.runner.pushing.a.b ogy.full.of.pit.propsup.a.gradient....there.were.2 .lads.to.a.bogy.we.gripped.the.rails.and.pushed.wi th.our.heads.probably.about.half.a.mile.to.the.coa l.face.we.did.3.trips.a.shift
brownmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 21:42   #40
Full Member+

My Grandfather was the President of Accrington & District Miners Federation and was the first ordinary miner to sit on the National Executive of the Miners Federation. He took over as president from his father. He worked tirelessly for the miners arguing for better pay and conditions for them. He never worked at Huncoat pit although that was where he lived. He worked at Altham and got them pit head baths but because he had fought so hard for them they moved him to Scaithcliffe and he never got to use them himself. He had been to Edinburgh to the TUC Comference the week before he died. He died of a heart attack down Scaithcliffe just as he finished his shift. He was only 40yrs old. He was very well respected as the page long report of his funeral in the Observer testifies. That was in 1934. My dad always said if it was up to him they would sell coal like boiled ham at so much a quarter as it was so hard to get it.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 21:44   #41
Full Member+

Incidently my father in law was the first ambulance man at Hapton Valley when they had the explosion. He went straight down the pit when he got there which I think took guts.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:27   #42
Senior Member+

I was greatly saddened by the deaths at Hapton Valley, as I had known many of the men who died. One was an Italian, Mario Lepri, who lived in Ossie. He had a great sense of humour and was famed for catching rats with his hands.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:36   #43

We had a big discussion on this website on whether Bob Bannister actually worked down the mine. Thanks to his nephew “Keep the Faith” this topic has been cleared.
I would just like to add a photo of Bob (sitting down 3rd from the right).

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Huncoat-Pit.jpg (106.2 KB, 57 views)
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 19:20   #44
Senior Member+

Rowlf - what was grandfather's name.? I recall my days at Hapton Valley with great affection. When I was a policeman working on the miners' strike, I got on well with the miners.
Old 10-05-2015, 20:01   #45
Full Member+

My Grandfather's name was Harry Smith. His father was Thomas Edward Smith. My Grandfather lived in Huncoat but never worked at the pit there as far as I know. He was at Altham then Scaithcliffe. He died in 1934. I got in touch with Accrington library and asked if they had any records showing minutes from the meetings of Accrington Miners Federation. They very kindly found the relevant books for me to look through. I found my Grandfathers reports from the Executive Committee. Very interesting and moving for me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..