Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2017, 10:28   #61
Junior Member+

Re: Huncoat Colliery

Hi my dad worked at Huncoat till 1967 Jack Southern, I worked at thornny bank yes it was a drift mine we left accrington and transferred to cotgrave nottingham 1967.
preston1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-11-2017, 14:11   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston1950 View Post
Hi my dad worked at Huncoat till 1967 Jack Southern, I worked at thornny bank yes it was a drift mine we left accrington and transferred to cotgrave nottingham 1967.
After reading your first post about Woodnook school, I think that your first name may start with an (R) and that you were a member of the school football team that played in the mid 1960s; the team that followed on from the team that I played in during the 1961/62 season.
Regards, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 16:14   #63
Full Member+

I realise it is the wrong time of year to mention this as it has closed now for the winter but while I am thinking on.....You miners out there might like to know there is an excellent mining museum in Burnley which is well worth a visit next year. Have a look on their website at Woodend Mining Museum > Home The bloke who owns it is only too happy to show folk round and loves nattering about the pits. He and his wife have done a remarkable job over the last few years. There is a little cafe too. Make a note and have a trip there in the Spring.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:54   #64
Senior Member+

I recently saw a signpost for this museum and wondered why7 I had never heard of it before. It is off a road leading towards Burnley near to Fence.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 14:55   #65
Full Member+

That's right Bob. If you turn right off the bypass coming from Padiham down Greenhead Lane, at the very bottom of the hill turn right. there is a sign there for the museum. It is a narrow lane and the museum is on the right some way along although it cannot be seen from the lane. There is a sign though. There is quite a bit abut Hapton Valley. As I said it is well worth a visit.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:04   #66
Full Member+

I have put this on the photos site but then thought all you ex miners may not look on there so, looking on comp this morn saw a picture of some miner's with the Duke of York this went under the heading Abandoned Collieries could solve heating prob, enough waffle look at the photo of the group of miners mainly the cheeky chappie front left, if your eyes are as bad as mine look just below his left hand. or is it my eye's
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:07   #67
Full Member+

PS. msn news
Old 11-04-2018, 10:12   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
I have put this on the photos site but then thought all you ex miners may not look on there so, looking on comp this morn saw a picture of some miner's with the Duke of York this went under the heading Abandoned Collieries could solve heating prob, enough waffle look at the photo of the group of miners mainly the cheeky chappie front left, if your eyes are as bad as mine look just below his left hand. or is it my eye's
It took me a while to find it but I think I get your drift,.

Your's Taddy.

P.S. I could also mistakenly have put this answer under another topic/title.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:39   #69
Full Member+

When you say it took you a while to find it
you did mean the post didn't you.
Old 12-04-2018, 18:51   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
When you say it took you a while to find it
you did mean the post didn't you.
HA HA,very good,as it happens yes; I did mean the post.
Your's, Taddy.
Old 31-08-2018, 20:58   #71
Junior Member+

Hello everyone,
My name is Mike Costello and I'm a new joiner. My dad worked at one of the mines in the area possibly just after the war and, as he and mum lived at Woodside Road, I am presuming it was the Huncoat Colliery. The only clue I have though is that my mum once told me that dad worked at the 'Happy Valley' mine. Whether that is a real place or a nickname I'm not sure. Dad was irish and called Paul Costello.

If you've heard of the mine, or my father, then any help on this would be really appreciated

Thanks

Mike
Norahs Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 21:02   #72
Senior Member+

The pit's cor5rect name was Hapton Valley. It was situated just 'next door' to Burnley Crematorium. Now a garden centr
e IO think. I was the manager's clerk there1957-8.
Old 31-08-2018, 21:05   #73
Full Member+

I think that the garden centre has been built on now.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 21:18   #74
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The pit's cor5rect name was Hapton Valley. It was situated just 'next door' to Burnley Crematorium. Now a garden centr
e IO think. I was the manager's clerk there1957-8.
Thanks Bob, that's helped me get the name right. I can now do further investigations at the correct colliery.

Thanks again.

Mike
Norahs Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:36   #75
Senior Member+

In 1958 (?) there was an explosion at the HV pit resulting in loss of life. There was so much methane in it that some was used to make electricity..Just beforte I arrived there was a flood.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..