Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 18:35   #1

Huncoat Hall

Hi to everyone.

My heritage goes back to 1859 and the family used to live in Huncoat Hall.
Please can anyone tell me who lives there now and what the building is like.
I have seen it on Google earth.
I would love the know if it ever comes on the market as to get it back into the famil would be wonderful
Best Wishes & Regards
Paul Birtwistle aka Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-04-2012, 19:34   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Huncoat Hall

Hi huncoat hall is owned by the bolin (i think thats how you spell it) family and is in a bit of a state.Some of my godfathers family lived there in the past Walter Procter was his name.
Old 10-04-2012, 19:51   #3
Senior Member+

ow do, and welcome
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:08   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Hi to everyone.

I would love the know if it ever comes on the market as to get it back into the famil would be wonderful
Best Wishes & Regards
The first Birtwistle I can find related to Huncote Hall, is Richard Birtwistle he is mentioned in the Halmote Court Rolls of 1424. The first record in the Altham Parish Registers is John Birtwistle of Huncote Hall, buried his daughter Dorothy at Padiham 15 June 1602.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:20   #5

The "Bowling" family live there (and have done since at least 1970). They're into horses. Met the lady wife there when riding.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 19:47   #6
Senior Member+

From memory, there is a photo in John Goddard's book, 'Huncoat Uncoated' which I published. Paul - send me a PM -private message. Where do you live? I have sent you one about which schools you attended.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Hi to everyone.

Best Wishes & Regards
I am trying to learn more about the Birtwistle family. My husband's g-g-grandfather was James Birtwistle (b. 1839) His aunt said that they were distantly related to the Birtwistles of Huncoat. I have seen references to a book on the geneology of the Birtwistle family, but it is not available in US libraries. Perhaps it is in the library in Acrington. Susan
bamboosusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 19:53   #8
Senior Member+

There has been a book about Birtwistles, but I am not certain that it is of the Huncoat branch. I suspect it covers a branch who have been mill owners in (nearby) Rossendale

Email: [email protected] for details. I'm sure they have one.
Old 01-01-2013, 22:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosusan View Post
I am trying to learn more about the Birtwistle family. My husband's g-g-grandfather was James Birtwistle (b. 1839) His aunt said that they were distantly related to the Birtwistles of Huncoat. I have seen references to a book on the geneology of the Birtwistle family, but it is not available in US libraries. Perhaps it is in the library in Acrington. Susan
I have a copy of this book so if you want any lookups let me know
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 15:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Hi huncoat hall is owned by the bolin (i think thats how you spell it) family and is in a bit of a state.Some of my godfathers family lived there in the past Walter Procter was his name.
You are taking me back nearly sixty years now, Walter proctor used to let me use a hand cooling and bottling machine in his dairy before I reached my teens,
afterwards his wife would provide a breakfast that most youngsters of the time could only dream about and I, (plus other village youngsters who helped out ?) could walk into the big walk in fridge and help ourselves to a bottle of milk
whenever we were getting the hay in. It's a pity the youngsters of today don't get the chance of a similar upbringing.

I think I read somewhere that age is the thief of time. Ah well such is life, stay happy Yours Taddy
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 15:51   #11
Senior Member+

My schoolpal, Tony Anderson, brother of Jon, also worked on Walter's farm I think, mid-50s.
Old 06-04-2014, 17:01   #12

God toddy I forgot all about huncoat hall I used to help out in the dairy and yes those breakfasts and Walters wife always had fag in her mouth I also used to help on the milk round with a man called titled he lived next door to me on within grove it was about 1963 64 time when. We had all that snow that lasted for ever my name is Nelson ring any bells
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 18:12   #13

Sorry Stuart, I can't bring you to mind but then again in 1963/4 I would be 16/17 years old and working at the Redac brickyard, I don't know your age but if you were still at school maybe I was a little to old to remember a mere youngster., know what I mean. (only codding of course). Yours Taddy
Old 06-04-2014, 18:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosegrove View Post
God toddy I forgot all about huncoat hall I used to help out in the dairy and yes those breakfasts and Walters wife always had fag in her mouth I also used to help on the milk round with a man called titled he lived next door to me on within grove it was about 1963 64 time when. We had all that snow that lasted for ever my name is Nelson ring any bells
Can you give me that name again Stuart,(titled) is a rather unusual name. Yours Taddy
Old 07-04-2014, 07:55   #15
Senior Member+

Maybe he was called Lord or Earl.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..