Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 20:03   #1

In loving memory of my Grandma

Hi,

Today my grandma, Gladys Ann Ashcroft would have been celebrating her 99th birthday, but sadly is no longer with us as 3 years ago grandma died peacefully at home with her family around her.

Some here at AW may remember my grandma Gladys, who lived on the corner of Devonshire Drive and Lancaster Drive in Clayton-le-Moors for many many moons.

Gran was well known in the area and was loved by many and her family adored her. She would often be seen walking along the canal, through the Woodlands or around Clayton, more than a couple of time in the day.

This is a little memoir to my grandma Ashcroft who loved everything beautiful and colourful, just like the person she was and still is in our memories of her.

I love you and miss you grandma .... happy birthday

Dawn xxxxxx

I went for a walk today through Mercer Park, another of her favourite places, and took this photo as I can just imagine my grandma sitting on this bench taking in the beautiful autumn colours:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo for Grandma.JPG (114.8 KB, 35 views)
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2012, 20:17   #2
God Member

Re: In loving memory of my Grandma

Thats a lovely tribute to your grandma
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28   #3
Senior Member+

Dawnrodd, you have brought tears to my eyes through thinking of the great love of my life, mi gram.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:33   #4

What a lovely photo and nice tribute to your gran...My dear mum would have celebrated her 90th birthday today.People leave us and we too will depart this life someday but to the people we leave behind we all leave memories.
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:56   #5
Beacon of light

Dawn, I have lived in Clayton for 46 years....and though I did not know your Gran....I must have seen her out and about, but not perhaps who she was.
Your picture and tribute is lovely......the thing is while she isn't here any more...you carry her with you..or at least the essence of her, in memory.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:09   #6
God Member

Very touching Dawn and lovely photos to remember a special person by.

The following poem is short and simple and is perhaps apt since today is Remembrance Sunday:
“Forever nameless
Forever unknown
Forever unconceived
Forever unrepresented
yet forever felt in the soul.”
DHLawrence Belief

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Thats a lovely tribute to your grandma
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Dawnrodd, you have brought tears to my eyes through thinking of the great love of my life, mi gram.
Hi Bob, thank you and it is okay to cry, I do it often ... tears of joy and sorry are what make the heart strong and keep the memories of loved ones dear to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marl View Post
What a lovely photo and nice tribute to your gran...My dear mum would have celebrated her 90th birthday today.People leave us and we too will depart this life someday but to the people we leave behind we all leave memories.
Thanks Marl for the lovely comments. Indeed, your words are true, may you enjoy the happy memories of your mum, especially today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Dawn, I have lived in Clayton for 46 years....and though I did not know your Gran....I must have seen her out and about, but not perhaps who she was.
Your picture and tribute is lovely......the thing is while she isn't here any more...you carry her with you..or at least the essence of her, in memory.
Hi Margaret, I am sure you would have seen little Gladys walking about, she was always out and about with her walking stick and turban on her head Thank you for the kind comments about the picture and tribute and like you say gran is still here with me in fond memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Very touching Dawn and lovely photos to remember a special person by.

The following poem is short and simple and is perhaps apt since today is Remembrance Sunday:
“Forever nameless
Forever unknown
Forever unconceived
Forever unrepresented
yet forever felt in the soul.”
DHLawrence Belief
Hi Dianne,

Thank you for the lovely words and poem, indeed very apt for the day. If you don't mind, I would please like to use the words of the poem to add to one of the memorial photos I took yesterday.

Thank you all for your kind words of support.

There is so much love on AW, it is a great place to be.

Cheers

Dawn
Old 11-11-2012, 13:33   #8
Rest in Peace

Dawn,I remember your grandma from when she lived in a smsll terraced house at the side of the police station and which you could get to off Mercer Street.you will possible remember her good friends the Parson's twins Ruth and Mary who lived together after their husbands had died at 14 Mercer St. Your dad is a good friend of my cousin David Berry, and he was the minister at Davids mothers funeral,Mrs Ruth Berry.
Going back a lot of years my wife had no use for a red coat which your grandma had always liked so she passed it on to her, I bet you can remember it.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 13:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Dawn,I remember your grandma from when she lived in a smsll terraced house at the side of the police station and which you could get to off Mercer Street.you will possible remember her good friends the Parson's twins Ruth and Mary who lived together after their husbands had died at 14 Mercer St. Your dad is a good friend of my cousin David Berry, and he was the minister at Davids mothers funeral,Mrs Ruth Berry.
Going back a lot of years my wife had no use for a red coat which your grandma had always liked so she passed it on to her, I bet you can remember it.
Oh wow, this has brought a big smile to my face. Indeed, that's right she did live in said house too, that was many years ago before moving to Devonshire Drive. I do remember the Parson twins, grandma was very good friends with them. I know David & Margaret Berry ... infact David was my dad's best man at his wedding. The red coat you refer to is one I think my gran wore for many years, she loved that coat

Thanks for sharing your memories of grandma, it is great to hear from those who remember her.

Cheers

Dawn
Old 11-11-2012, 15:11   #10

Thank you Dawn.... . xx
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 15:52   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnrodd View Post

Hi Dianne,

Thank you for the lovely words and poem, indeed very apt for the day. If you don't mind, I would please like to use the words of the poem to add to one of the memorial photos I took yesterday.

Thank you all for your kind words of support.

There is so much love on AW, it is a great place to be.

Cheers

Dawn
Glad you liked the poem - DHLawrence is not well known for his poetry yet he wrote something like 800 poems in his life - quite a number about WW1 as this one is.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..