Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2013, 15:37   #136

Re: Information about Clayton

(All three photos purportedly taken circa 1915 - 1920)
Steerforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2013, 16:17   #137
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerforth View Post
(All three photos purportedly taken circa 1915 - 1920)
Are you certain it was taken in C-Le-M as the tram lines are in 4 sets where the other photos are just 2 sets. I have been up and down Whalley Rd but cannot find anywhere to correspond with that photo ?
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 16:49   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerforth View Post
But this is a different spot:

immediately, i thought that was looking up whalley rd towards Greyhound with what is now the spar on one corner and what i think is a vets now ? on the other , because of the way it looks like the terrace houses in the background appear to be set back behind the corner house
Old 14-06-2013, 17:34   #139
Resting In Peace

The photo with the St Mary's men (difficult to enlarge to see much detail) and the one with the older girls seem to be the same location, looking at the chimneys. Could also be the same time, judging by the clothes of the spectators early twenties.

The one with the younger girls is earlier,from the clothes just post-war, and different location.
Old 14-06-2013, 18:05   #140
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 View Post
immediately, i thought that was looking up whalley rd towards Greyhound with what is now the spar on one corner and what i think is a vets now ? on the other , because of the way it looks like the terrace houses in the background appear to be set back behind the corner house
Look at the windows on both buildings the first one has large centre blocks under the upstairs windows, and the one further back has one window behind the pole and then evenly spaced two more, and then two windows very close to each other can't find them anywhere all I can think the buildings have been pulled down. (doubt it)
Old 15-06-2013, 11:51   #141
I am Banned

Is it the Volunteers and then the background building knocked down (now used car lot) and Balti Stan further back?
Looks too flat to me but could be the camera angle.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 13:38   #142
Rest in Peace

Would not think so, only one tram line to the canal bridge.
Old 16-06-2013, 04:52   #143

The pie shop was Brady's, then when they sold mrs Brady, worked as a nurse at Brockhall, on the next block was Bacigalupo's barbars shop & on the corner a paper shop.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 06:44   #144

always remember Guinness adverts on the billboard on the Slingers building Cashy, the one with the Toucan.
Old 16-06-2013, 07:00   #145

something like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lgpp30181+lovely-day-for-a-guinness-guinness-poster.jpg (39.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 16-06-2013, 11:36   #146
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Would not think so, only one tram line to the canal bridge.
I'm thinking Burnley Road Accrington. The dormer/attic bedroom apex shouldn't be too hard to locate. Unless of course the row has been demolished.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 14:29   #147
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
The pie shop was Brady's, then when they sold mrs Brady, worked as a nurse at Brockhall, on the next block was Bacigalupo's barbars shop & on the corner a paper shop.
On the row after the barbers was a wool shop, can't remember the next after that was a fresh fish shop, a grocers (Evans) fruit shop, paper shop when I delivered papers it was Bridges. For the evening papers we had to go to the Ribble bus stop in Burnley Rd were the conductor would throw them off the bus coming from Blackburn around 4.30 pm

Tags
clayton, long row, tripe shop, whalley road

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..