Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2012, 15:00   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Information about Clayton

I know that, but he was also saying that way back (probably before it was George Hoyles) it was a tripe shop...or at least that is how I am reading it. He may have taken a brick from it because of what it had been to his family in the dim and distant past...before any of us were around, that's for sure.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2012, 15:01   #17
Beacon of light

I don't know when George Hoyle took the shop...do you? He definitely had it when I lived in Henry St.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 15:04   #18
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't know when George Hoyle took the shop...do you? He definitely had it when I lived in Henry St.
No I don't
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 15:08   #19
I am Banned

[quote=katex;999495]This is a shot taken from Mario maps, which shows Henry Street around 1890 ... was certainly a long row, so could have been nicknamed that :

Thanks for the map. I'll pass it onto my sister. Very interesting.

In the 1970s, my mother made a trip to England, and while she was in the Accrington area, she found an artist who had drawn Long Row in Charcoal. She bought the drawing, and it's waiting for me in Pennsylvania when I can make the trip. I live in Baja, Mexico. Mother always told me that the shop was the building on the left as the drawing looked as if somebody stood in the middle of the road and drew the scene looking up. Maybe my sister can send me a photo of it.

But the map does show a half street or alley, so now I am perplexed! It really could be either - although I tend to think it was the back street - but the "Long Row" designation is confusing considering a previous poster mentionede that it was the name for Henry Street.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 15:35   #20
Rest in Peace

As I said before it was the back street of Henry Street/Long row which went right up to High Street at the top of the hill. I think that would be where the tripe shop was on that corner with Whalley Rd. The menu looks good very healthy eating
Old 24-06-2012, 16:13   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
As I said before it was the back street of Henry Street/Long row which went right up to High Street at the top of the hill. I think that would be where the tripe shop was on that corner with Whalley Rd. The menu looks good very healthy eating

My sister just sent me a photo of the charcoal drawing. My mother always said that it is "Long Row" and Grandma's shop is on the left. It looks more like the back street of Henry Street. What do you think?

Back of Grandma's Shop.jpg - 4shared.com - photo sharing - download image
Old 24-06-2012, 16:17   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

As n aside, i have n owd mate,thats a "Knight" from Clayton Le Moors, Lives oer accy now, wouldn't be any relation?
Old 24-06-2012, 16:32   #23
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post

My sister just sent me a photo of the charcoal drawing. My mother always said that it is "Long Row" and Grandma's shop is on the left. It looks more like the back street of Henry Street. What do you think?

Back of Grandma's Shop.jpg - 4shared.com - photo sharing - download image
One glance and you can tell its the back street and you can see it going right up,good picture. The main street would be twice as wide.
Old 24-06-2012, 16:36   #24
Rest in Peace

Quote:
One glance and you can tell its the back street and you can see it going right up,good picture. The main street would be twice as wide.
Does it seem as you remembered it.
Old 24-06-2012, 16:48   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
As n aside, i have n owd mate,thats a "Knight" from Clayton Le Moors, Lives oer accy now, wouldn't be any relation?

Gosh, I wish I could say, "Yes", but I honestly don't have a clue. It's a fairly common name, I think. You should ask you friend about William and Adelaide Knight who owned and operated a tripe shop at 158 Whalley Road in Clayton. I don't think William was too involved with the business, though.
Old 24-06-2012, 16:51   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Does it seem as you remembered it?

Yes, this is how I picture the area when I visited in 1978. I went into the door on the side, and that's where I got the brick from. My sister and I do think now that the shop was on the corner of Whalley Road and the back street to Henry. My mother may have gotten confused about "Long Row", but it remains somewhat puzzling.
Old 24-06-2012, 16:54   #27
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
POLONY (know it was a stuffed casing, but that's all.
I like tripe and trotters and black pudding but could never stand polony. Always remember it as having a red casing.

Gourmet Britain - Encyclopedia - Polony
Old 24-06-2012, 17:23   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I like tripe and trotters and black pudding but could never stand polony. Always remember it as having a red casing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Thanks for the link. I like wurst and have no idea what polony tasted like. The secret must be in the spices because many types of sausage are made from a combination of beef and pork. The Pennsylvania Dutch have their own wurst including bood sausage and souse which is also called "head cheese" There's also the dark, very spicy "Lebanon Bologna".

Last edited by Mack; 24-06-2012 at 17:23. Reason: typo
Old 24-06-2012, 18:40   #29
Senior Member+

My 1951 Barrett's Directory shows Mrs E Howard, a tripe dealer at 158 Whalley Rd, next door at 158 is a chip shop.Between Henry St & Well St are 7 dwellings/shops. G Hoyle is at 150. The name Long Row probably came about when it was being built - this was common. There's one in Sabden. Seven doesn't seem all that long but it would cost more t build than the usual four. At 144, next door to Thornber's chemists was J Bleasdale, a labourer.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 18:43   #30
Resting in Peace

Would make more sense if the number was 156 to be on the corner. Compare up-to-date map with old.

Back Alley.jpg

Henry Street.jpg This on a join unfortunately.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clayton, long row, tripe shop, whalley road

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..