Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2012, 11:18   #46
I am Banned

Re: Information about Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
My Mum was born in 1930 and grew up round there, I'll ask her tomorrow when I see her what she can remember of the area and all the shops.

Thanks, much appreciated. Any input is worthwhile; it's been a long time, and as I said in an earlier message, memories fade, and reality becomes distorted.

Thanks for sharing your Flickr photos, since you showed me yours, I'll show you mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90039878@N00/
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2012, 11:42   #47
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post

Whether or not the photograph I posted is a photo of Grandma's shop. My sister and I have come to the conclusion that it is probably not because according to family recollections, there was a chip shop next door - confirmed by Bob Dobson - and the photo shows "Bleasdale's" next to the house that is supposed to be Grandma's shop. Memories fade and the reality becomes distorted. The photo has been in the family archives for almost one-hundred years as being the tripe shop. It probably is not.

Evidence points in that direction, but nothing is definite unless we can get first-hand information.
That shop on the right of the photo is probably not on the corner. It has its chimney on the right and if it were the end of the row this would be on the end wall of the house which is unlikely. Also it looks as if the masonry continues to the right beyond the downpipe.

It's most likely as you say that someone took a picture at the walking day, possibly with your mother in it, and it's not your shop.
Old 25-06-2012, 12:16   #48
Resting In Peace

Quote:
But Bob Dobson puts Bleasdale's at #144, so that doesn't make sense. The photo shows Bleasdale's, and #158 couldn't be next door according to the numbering. I'm wondering if it's a photo of my mother who may have been the young girl at the far left of the photo. The people who would know have all passed on, and me poor owd mum has Alzheimer's. My sister got the photo from a cousin who wasn't born until the 1960s. Maybe he just assumed it was 158 Whalley Road.
Actually Mack, Bob said that J Bleasdale a labourer was at 144, not necessarily Bleasdale's shop. And that was in 1951. If the numbers haven't changed, according to Google Streetview, no 144 is next to a shop which is on the bottom rh corner of Henry Street. This would presumable have been Thornbers.
Old 25-06-2012, 12:30   #49
Resting In Peace

If you look at Kate's map in post 30 there is a long narrow building on the lh bottom corner of Back Henry Street. This has a back extension on the left and probably a yard on the right. Going up the back street there is then a building on the left after the yard of the building on the corner. This ties in with the drawing of the back street which shows probably a yard wall then a small building, on the bottom left of the picture.

This suggests that the tripe shop was on the bottom lh corner of the back street.
Old 25-06-2012, 12:56   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
this may have been prior to George Hoyle having the shop.
After all the original poster is talking about the time of 1900...and he also mentions his grandmother, so it might even have been before then That Bleasdales had the shop
I lived in Henry Street in the late 60's. I remember George Hoyles shop very well and Thornbers Chemist on the opposite corner of Henry St.
I had a Great-Auntie Lizzie (marrried to Nicholas Croston I think) who lived up Henry Street and can remember going to visit her there often as a little girl when mum took the washing to be done at the Launderette on the other side of Whalley Road, which was run by another of my Gt aunts (Lucy) for a while. Thornbers chemists I remember but not the other shops - will try asking my mum if she remembers the tripe shop or any of the others.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 13:00   #51
Resting in Peace

Presume you may have already looked at the census for 1911.
Think this is your family ... obviously, didn't live over the shop ?

Has Adelaide down as a Housewife.

File1.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 13:17   #52
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Attachment 21238
Possibly before they had the tripe shop - Mack only said "approximately" 1900 in post 1. Interesting that William Knight is a US resident and his granddaughter and family are now in USA.
Old 25-06-2012, 16:02   #53
I am Banned

Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 21238

No, I had not looked at the census; I am ignorant of these things!

I'm a bit confused and will have to confir with my sister. I had no idea that Adelaide's husband, William, came to the US. Now we had an "Uncle Will" on Adelaide's side who emigrated to Fall River, MA - or that's the way the family history went. Florence was my mother's mother who died in Clayton around 1926 from a fall down the steps. My mother was five years old. Elsie was my aunt (or great aunt) who married a chemist, and they lived in Prestwich near Manchester. Her husband, Uncle Jack Roberts, was the chief chemist at Strangeways Prison. Their daughter was Christine who lived in Clitheroe and who I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. I think there's a link between the one who came to Fall River, MA and William Clifford Birtwell who you can read about in Famous Accringtonians. Cousin Clifford invented the first artifical heart. I may have posted under the nick, Steerforth, but I can't resurrect that account for some reason. I thought Grandpa Knight (Adelaide's husband) died in the 1920s in Clayton. I'll check on it.
Old 25-06-2012, 16:20   #54
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Actually Mack, Bob said that J Bleasdale a labourer was at 144, not necessarily Bleasdale's shop. And that was in 1951. If the numbers haven't changed, according to Google Streetview, no 144 is next to a shop which is on the bottom rh corner of Henry Street. This would presumable have been Thornbers.

It makes more sense, though, as my mother always claimed there was a chip shop next door. The photo shows "Bleasdale's". Also, the comment about the factory stack in the background. There was nothing in the back of # 158 as far as I know, but there was a factory behind # 144.

I'm only grabbling handfuls of air, of course, and I defer to your knowledge.
Old 25-06-2012, 18:10   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I agree, Sue, don't think 144 was ever a shop. Just a house.

Quote:

I'm a bit confused and will have to confir with my sister. I had no idea that Adelaide's husband, William, came to the US. husband)
No, he CAME FROM the U.S.... shows that he was born there.

These are the residents of both 156/158 in 1911. The Knights could possibly have rented out the accommodation over the shop and still be living at 48, Whalley Road (not there now).

Interesting.

File2.jpg

File3.jpg
Old 25-06-2012, 18:22   #56
Resting In Peace

Quote:
These are the residents of both 156/158 in 1911. The Knights could possibly have rented out the accommodation over the shop and still be living at 48, Whalley Road (not there now).
Think you meant Burnley Road, Kate...
Old 25-06-2012, 18:27   #57
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Think you meant Burnley Road, Kate...
Thanks ... sure did ....
Old 25-06-2012, 19:45   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
I agree, Sue, don't think 144 was ever a shop. Just a house.
Quote:

No, he CAME FROM the U.S.... shows that he was born there.

Interesting.

Attachment 21272

Attachment 21273

My sister tells me that Great Grandma Knight (ne Holden) had a brother William who was called "Will", and she married William Knight (Bill) who was not born in the U.S. nor did he ever travel there. It was Uncle Will who emigrated to Fall River, MA., but I think he eventually came back to Clayton. Have to check further.
Old 25-06-2012, 20:07   #59
I am Banned

Quote:

My sister tells me that Great Grandma Knight (ne Holden) had a brother William who was called "Will", and she married William Knight (Bill) who was not born in the U.S. nor did he ever travel there. It was Uncle Will who emigrated to Fall River, MA., but I think he eventually came back to Clayton. Have to check further.

I believe Uncle Will (he would have been a "Holden") emigrated to the U.S. in the late 1800s or early 1900s, but he came back to Clayton. He may have been living there in 1911 when the census was taken; I don't know when Grandma married William Knight, but he was from the Clayton area and never traveled to the U.S. I wonder if the census record is slightly confused.
Old 25-06-2012, 23:46   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I believe Uncle Will (he would have been a "Holden") emigrated to the U.S. in the late 1800s or early 1900s, but he came back to Clayton. He may have been living there in 1911 when the census was taken; I don't know when Grandma married William Knight, but he was from the Clayton area and never traveled to the U.S. I wonder if the census record is slightly confused.
Thought could have been a missing entry there myself, Mack, however, look at this 1881 census ... shows William Henry Knight again as being born in America, as does his sister Ann Knight. Mary Ann was born in Clayton.

John Knight born in Warrington: Ellen Knight in Preston.

Looks like your Great Great Grandparents did at one time spend some time in America.

File4.jpg

Last edited by katex; 25-06-2012 at 23:50.

Tags
clayton, long row, tripe shop, whalley road

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..