Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2012, 01:17   #61
I am Banned

Re: Information about Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Thought could have been a missing entry there myself, Mack, however, look at this 1881 census ... shows William Henry Knight again as being born in America, as does his sister Ann Knight. Mary Ann was born in Clayton.
Quote:

John Knight born in Warrington: Ellen Knight in Preston.

Looks like your Great Great Grandparents did at one time spend some time in America.

Attachment 21306

In 65 + years of life, nobody has ever mentioned to me that Grandpa Knight was born in the U.S. I'm trying to get my sister's attention. It ought to be something my mother would remember, but we never know these days. Thanks!

I'm still curious about "Bleasdale's" in the photo. Somebody posted that J. Beasdale was a laboror who lived at # 144 Whalley Road, so the photo might not picture # 144 as I previously thought, but there doesn't seem to be any record of a "Bleasdale" next to # 158, so I'm still wondering about the houses in the photo. There's the issue of the factory chimney, too. My mother went to dinner at my sister's today and said that is a photo of her - the far left child. Not certain we can put all our trust in that pronouncement.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-06-2012, 08:41   #62
Senior Member+

Am I correct that we have not seen this photo? Posting one would be helpful.
Are we looking for Knights & or otjher names?
The Bleasdale labourer at 144 lived there in 1951. It may have been his parents who had the shop a few doors along in earlier years, or the family had given up the shop in some way and moved a few doors along. In 1951 there was a Robert Bleasdale at 85 Blackburn Rd. There were no Knights listed. James Howard was a grocer at 119-121 Barnes St and a George , firewood dealer at 75 Barnes St
Access to some earlier directories would be helpful
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 08:45   #63
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Am I correct that we have not seen this photo? Posting one would be helpful.
Bob, look at the link in post number 4.
Old 26-06-2012, 08:50   #64
Resting In Peace

The building in your photo is definitely not no 144 Whalley Road.

The shops in the photo have a very distinctive arrangement of windows in the upper storey. I have just followed Whalley Road Clayton on Streetview from its beginning at the Grehound pub to the motorway bridge and beyond and there are no buildings existing today with that arrangement of windows. So they must either have been among the ones demolished to make way for the motorway or it is not Whalley Road.
Old 26-06-2012, 11:56   #65
Resting In Peace

Well I have cracked the location of the shops in your photo and it's nowhere near 158 or 144 Whalley Road.

A free search of directories on Ancestry turns up the entry Bleasdale and Co, 233 Whalley Road Clayton. Don't know the type of business or the year, think you have to pay for that sort of information. The entry in question is towards the bottom of the first page of search results.

Bleasdale - U.K., City and County Directories, 1600s-1900s - Ancestry.co.uk

Anyway Streetview of that area takes me to the Volunteer pub, further out towards Harwood than we were looking. The address of the Volunteer is 229 Whalley Road, next door is a house, then a pair of houses with exactly the same upstairs window arrangement as in Mack's photo, and the bottom facade has been rebuilt, indicating that there were once shop frontages. 233 would have been Bleasdale's, the shop on the left.

So the photo was of the opposite side of the road to the tripe shop we have been looking for, and much further out of Clayton.

I was wrong about one thing - the shop on the right is on a corner, of sorts - the next thing after it is the canal!
Old 26-06-2012, 11:59   #66
Senior Member+

Congrats to Susie.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 12:01   #67

I don't know if it's relevant but there were other houses between the Volunteers and the Albion. You can see where they where if you look over the Albion car park to the left hand side
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 12:10   #68
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
I don't know if it's relevant but there were other houses between the Volunteers and the Albion. You can see where they where if you look over the Albion car park to the left hand side
Actually you're right, the canal is on the other side of the Albion. I just assumed it was in the gap before the Albion, looking at the map. You can I've never lived in Clayton!

So the shop on the right was probably joined on to another building on the right as I first assumed, and not at the end of a row.

All this doesn't alter the fact that we have identified the location of Bleasdale's shop.
Old 26-06-2012, 12:10   #69
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Congrats to Susie.
Thanks Bob, you can't keep a good researcher down!
Old 26-06-2012, 12:56   #70
Resting in Peace

Phew .... well done, Sue !!. Saved me a trip to the library.

I didn't go far enough down on street view either.

Can't believe didn't recognise those windows ... have been watching those alterations to houses for ages (is taking ages).

The chimney was probably from Victoria Mill which was behind there, and old maps show that there was more buildings 'on the end'.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 12:58   #71
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Phew .... well done, Sue !!. Saved me a trip to the library.

I didn't go far enough down on street view either.

Can't believe didn't recognise those windows ... have been watching those alterations to houses for ages (is taking ages).

The chimney was probably from Victoria Mill which was behind there, and old maps show that there was more buildings 'on the end'.
Thanks Kate - I was going to investigate the chimney as well, but got so chuffed with finding the shop I forgot to go any further!
Old 26-06-2012, 13:02   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Thanks Kate - I was going to investigate the chimney as well, but got so chuffed with finding the shop I forgot to go any further!
Trying to save the 1890 map, Sue .... but it is not playing with me at the moment..

Bet Mack is well chuffed with the findings, although somebody thought to give him Red Karma.. we do welcome new members don't we.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 13:05   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Trying to save the 1890 map, Sue .... but it is not playing with me at the moment..

Bet Mack is well chuffed with the findings, although somebody thought to give him Red Karma.. we do welcome new members don't we.
I noticed that, thought it was rather pathetic, But lifes full of sad gets.
Old 26-06-2012, 13:10   #74
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Yep, the 1910 map shows Victoria Mill behind, on the other side of the canal. On the 1845 map there was a chemical works and flour mill in the same place.
Old 26-06-2012, 13:16   #75
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I noticed that, thought it was rather pathetic, But lifes full of sad gets.
What would be the reason for that.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clayton, long row, tripe shop, whalley road

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..