Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2012, 13:20   #76
Resting In Peace

Re: Information about Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
What would be the reason for that.
I would say it's something to do with post number 5. Seems like the thread was moved and Mack did not like it so voiced his opinion and someone then gave him red k. Just my thoughts.
Old 26-06-2012, 13:23   #77
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I would say it's something to do with post number 5. Seems like the thread was moved and Mack did not like it so voiced his opinion and someone then gave him red k. Just my thoughts.
I thought the same, but nowt nasty was said, so its like i said, a sad get.
Old 26-06-2012, 13:29   #78
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I thought the same, but nowt nasty was said, so its like i said, a sad get.
Quite agree Cashy, happened to me more than once.
Old 26-06-2012, 13:30   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I agree, but it did start out as a general enquiry about Clayton and then did turn later to 'ancestors'. Sure Mack didn't mind it being moved at this stage.

Got the image, Sue :

bleasdales.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 13:34   #80
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Thanks Kate - I was going to investigate the chimney as well, but got so chuffed with finding the shop I forgot to go any further!
The building you looking at was indeed two shops the end one 1950 would have been Greens Ice Cream and sweet shop,later turned into an off licence,the small wall attached was a building about 8ft high with a sloping slate roof no doors on the road side,the doors were in the Albion yard. May have been stables.
I can't remember what the shop next to Greens was always seamed to be empty possibly someone living at the back of the shop.

Just an add on Mr Green used to push a icecream cart around Clayton at the weekend or warm days,very good home made icecream.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 13:38   #81
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I agree, but it did start out as a general enquiry about Clayton and then did turn later to 'ancestors'. Sure Mack didn't mind it being moved at this stage.

Got the image, Sue :

Attachment 21308
Well done Kate, you can see the pair of shops quite clearly on that with a long building sticking out on the RHS and then a gap before the Albion.

And Enfield Mill is right behind, on the same side of the canal, even closer than the Victoria Mill.

BTW where do you get these map images from?
Old 26-06-2012, 13:45   #82
Resting in Peace

Quote:

BTW where do you get these map images from?
From Mario maps ... it will tell you how to save images, once you have cracked their navigation.

MARIO Maps and Related Information Online
Old 26-06-2012, 13:48   #83
Resting In Peace

Quote:
From Mario maps ... it will tell you how to save images, once you have cracked their navigation.

MARIO Maps and Related Information Online
Thought so... I try to steer clear of that site - never yet been able to find my way around it! You're obviously more practised than me!
Old 26-06-2012, 13:55   #84
Rest in Peace

Quote:

Got the image, Sue :

Attachment 21308
Kate how old is that map,there are tram lines shown down the middle of the road.
Old 26-06-2012, 14:02   #85
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Kate how old is that map,there are tram lines shown down the middle of the road.
It's 1890, Roy.
Old 26-06-2012, 14:10   #86
Rest in Peace

My Dad used to say how he came from Accrington on the tram courting my Mother on Mercer St Clayton which is below the canal. The trams stopped at the con club.
Old 26-06-2012, 14:21   #87
Resting In Peace

Quote:
My Dad used to say how he came from Accrington on the tram courting my Mother on Mercer St Clayton which is below the canal. The trams stopped at the con club.
Yes, you can clearly see that on the map.
Old 26-06-2012, 14:40   #88
Senior Member+

Accrington Library have a photo of a tram at the terminus. The town boundary ran close by this point. One of their photos shows the bounday line drawn in. It was probably taken in 1928 when Accrington was seeking to annexe Clayton into the borough.

The flour mill referred to was owned by Appleby. I think it was caled The Canal Mills Company
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 15:09   #89
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well done Kate, you can see the pair of shops quite clearly on that with a long building sticking out on the RHS and then a gap before the Albion.

And Enfield Mill is right behind, on the same side of the canal, even closer than the Victoria Mill.
Think you're looking at the wrong block, Sue, the Albion wasn't there then, and the P.H. is The Volunteers.

Have marked:

bleasdales1.jpg
Old 26-06-2012, 15:12   #90
Rest in Peace

Bob,did you find out the names of the other occpants of the shops between Well St and Henry St.

Tags
clayton, long row, tripe shop, whalley road

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..