Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2012, 15:25   #91
Rest in Peace

Re: Information about Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Think you're looking at the wrong block, Sue, the Albion wasn't there then, and the P.H. is The Volunteers.

Have marked:

Attachment 21311
Girls,girls,girls,you're getting confused the Vol,house two shops back on to the Enfield Mill.The Albion pub two shops are the last before you go over the bridge and back on to the canal.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-06-2012, 15:45   #92
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Think you're looking at the wrong block, Sue, the Albion wasn't there then, and the P.H. is The Volunteers.

Have marked:

Attachment 21311
No sorry, the PH marked on the map is the Albion with a couple of buildings, no longer there, before the canal. Go back up towards Accy a bit, the next few buildings are what we are ralking about including the symmetrical pair of shops and the Volunteer on the RH corner of the block on the corner of what is now Corn Mill Yard. The buildings you mean Kate would have been opposite the Con Club.

Have a look on Streetview, it's easy to sort it out. And the Volunteeer is no 229 so the LH shop has to be 233 as in the directory.

Have just spent an hour or so on Mario, interesting to see on the 1890 map that Whalley Road Clayton from the Greyhound down to the canal is actually called Napoleon Street and after the canal it becomes Enfield Street. But the building next to the canal is actually marked as Whalley Road Wharf!
Old 26-06-2012, 15:47   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Girls,girls,girls,you're getting confused the Vol,house two shops back on to the Enfield Mill.The Albion pub two shops are the last before you go over the bridge and back on to the canal.
I stand corrected ... have just overlapped with modern map.

Apologies.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 15:47   #94
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Yes Roy you and I are right. The two shops in the photo are between the Vol and the Albion.

Kate if the pub you marked is the Vol, there is no room for the Albion before the canal.
Old 26-06-2012, 15:49   #95
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I stand corrected ... have just overlapped with modern map.

Apologies.
No probs Kate, easy to do. As I said Streetview is easiest to sort it out.
Old 26-06-2012, 15:51   #96
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
No probs Kate, easy to do. As I said Streetview is easiest to sort it out.
Or my memory, still works when pushed.
Sue,
Look at street view go pass the two shops then spin the camara around and you can see the shape of the small building which was attached to the shops

Last edited by claytonx; 26-06-2012 at 15:58.
Old 26-06-2012, 15:57   #97
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Or my memory, still works when pushed.
But we can't see your memory...
Old 26-06-2012, 16:01   #98
Rest in Peace

Quote:
But we can't see your memory...
I like that made me laugh out loud was not expected.
Old 26-06-2012, 16:02   #99
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I like that made me laugh out loud was not expected.
Was going to add probably just as well we can't but thought I might be in for a virtual slap on the wrist.
Old 26-06-2012, 16:22   #100
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Was going to add probably just as well we can't but thought I might be in for a virtual slap on the wrist.
Wrist's don't come into it across my knee.
Old 26-06-2012, 16:24   #101
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Wrist's don't come into it across my knee.
Ooh yes please.

(Think this thread wander had better stop NOW!!!)
Old 26-06-2012, 16:31   #102
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Ooh yes please.

(Think this thread wander had better stop NOW!!!)
I agree or we will get talked about. Could say more but there goes that memory again.
Old 26-06-2012, 16:36   #103
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Look at street view go pass the two shops then spin the camara around and you can see the shape of the small building which was attached to the shops
Oh yes, looks like a low outbuilding with a chimney on top.
Old 26-06-2012, 17:13   #104
I am Banned

Quote:
I would say it's something to do with post number 5. Seems like the thread was moved and Mack did not like it so voiced his opinion and someone then gave him red k. Just my thoughts.

Yes, indeed. I have no problem with the way things have turned out, but my initial post to "Questions and Answers" was moved almost immediately to "Lost Friends and Family", and my question had nothing to do with the category. Anyway, it's isn't the first time I've gotten a red mark, and sticks and stones, etc.............
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 17:37   #105
I am Banned

Quote:
Well I have cracked the location of the shops in your photo and it's nowhere near 158 or 144 Whalley Road.
Quote:

A free search of directories on Ancestry turns up the entry Bleasdale and Co, 233 Whalley Road Clayton. Don't know the type of business or the year, think you have to pay for that sort of information. The entry in question is towards the bottom of the first page of search results.

Bleasdale - U.K., City and County Directories, 1600s-1900s - Ancestry.co.uk

Anyway Streetview of that area takes me to the Volunteer pub, further out towards Harwood than we were looking. The address of the Volunteer is 229 Whalley Road, next door is a house, then a pair of houses with exactly the same upstairs window arrangement as in Mack's photo, and the bottom facade has been rebuilt, indicating that there were once shop frontages. 233 would have been Bleasdale's, the shop on the left.

So the photo was of the opposite side of the road to the tripe shop we have been looking for, and much further out of Clayton.

I was wrong about one thing - the shop on the right is on a corner, of sorts - the next thing after it is the canal!

Thanks very much for all your help! This has been very informative. My Mum, who is 91 and has just recently been put into a nursing home is thrilled to bits at hearing about her family and seeing the census records. After her mother (Florence) died when my mother was five years old, her grandmother - Adelaide Knight - raised her at 158 Whalley Road.

Also, concerning other comments, if you look, my nick as "Mack" goes back to 2006. I can't recall what I posted though, and I lost the log in information and began a new account under the name, "Steerforth" in July, 2010. I found the log in information for "Mack", though. I posted some information about William C. Birtwell in "Hall of Fame". Also, my uncle, Lawrence Procter, who held the patent for getting dyestuff to adhere to Rayon. He worked at Steiners before emigrating to Brazil before the war - then to Canada - New York and finally Pennsylvania where our branch of the family caught up with him in the mid-1950s. My name is David Procter; my father was Richard - there were four brothers, Albert, John William (Jack), Lawrence and Richard - and one sister, Betty, and they lived on Dill Hall Lane near the cricket field.

("Mack" is short for "Mack A. Damia". Yes, I'm a nut)

Cheers!
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clayton, long row, tripe shop, whalley road

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..