Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2012, 17:47   #106
I am Banned

Re: Information about Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Ooh yes please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

(Think this thread wander had better stop NOW!!!)

I love kinky drifts.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2012, 05:46   #107

The chip shop on Whalley Rd, was called Dora's, then it became Chans, in the 60s, there was a mill in Well St, it was a printers, called the Cambridge Press, the entrance was from Whalley Rd, next to the bus stop that was set back into the building, I think there was a betting shop next to the Chippy. Next to the Star Cinema, was Star alley, then three shops, a butchers, green grocers and a dry Cleaners.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:53   #108
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
The chip shop on Whalley Rd, was called Dora's, then it became Chans, in the 60s, there was a mill in Well St, it was a printers, called the Cambridge Press, the entrance was from Whalley Rd, next to the bus stop that was set back into the building, I think there was a betting shop next to the Chippy. Next to the Star Cinema, was Star alley, then three shops, a butchers, green grocers and a dry Cleaners.
Yeh got a better memory n me Al, Can't remember "Doras" I know Chan had it in 63,when meself n Darwendosser used to go every Friday fer 20 Fish n chips or so. So he must have bought it very early 60s?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:50   #109
Rest in Peace

Would I be right in remembering Norman Clough having an electrical shop at the corner of Well St and Whalley Rd.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:04   #110

That's right. I was in the same class at All saints as his daughter who I think was called Barbara.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:20   #111
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall View Post
That's right. I was in the same class at All saints as his daughter who I think was called Barbara.
How old will his daughter be?
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 09:19   #112

I'm 55 so somewhere around there.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 04:24   #113

Hello Accrington! We had a long discussion about the location of my great-grandmother's tripe shop at 158 Whalley Road in Clayton le Moors. You gave me a lot of valuable information. Just happened to be surfing and checked eBay. There are several photographs of processions in Clayton, and I am wondering about this one. If you look at the fourth girl on the right, there seems to be a number "15.." above her head, and I am wondering if anybody can recognize the location of this photo. Grandma's shop was on a corner, but I think the street looks too wide to be "Back Row". I posted a charcoal drawing of Back Row and the side of Grandma's shop somewhere in this thread. I'm probably just being whimsical! You may have to enlarge the photo to get a better look. Thanks!

P.S. I posted under the nick, "Mack" in this thread, but I cannot access the account.

Last edited by Steerforth; 13-06-2013 at 04:33. Reason: Post Script
Steerforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 05:38   #114
Senior Member+

Just a guess but if those are tram lines I would say that this is Whalley Rd and a further guess would be between the Burnley Rd junction and the canal bridge.
ossy kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 06:45   #115
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Looks summat like Whalley Rd, across from Hare @ Hounds to me?
Old 13-06-2013, 06:53   #116

I reckon that the building far right is the Volunteer Pub with the Old Commercial Pub (now Balti Stan) up towards the left.

Or possibly Albion looking up to Volunteer Pub

Last edited by smobile; 13-06-2013 at 06:58.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 08:54   #117
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
I reckon that the building far right is the Volunteer Pub with the Old Commercial Pub (now Balti Stan) up towards the left.

Or possibly Albion looking up to Volunteer Pub
Bit high up Whalley Road for it to be the Vol' sm..when I wander down to the Forts quiz tonight I'll check it out using the pic as a reference.
(Better doing it on the way down than back methinks )
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 09:17   #118
Senior Member+

I think the road too flat to be where the postings so far surmise. The tram terminus was at the canal bridge, so it has to be higher up than that. I favour on the Acc side of the Load of Mischief junction. I don't know the names of the streets, but I think the bike shop was on the lift of this pic. 15 Whalley Rd is just before the junction with Whinfield St ( so my 1951 directory tells me, when Mrs Pickup lived there) The last number on each row was a shop. The Load of Mischief was between 137 and 151, the Vol was 229, Hare & Hounds 147. Maurice Green, cycle dealer was 86.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 09:45   #119
I am Banned

Here it is folks...
The row opposite the Hare and Hounds

Google maps number 177 Whalley Road A680 Clayton le Moors

Last edited by DtheP47; 13-06-2013 at 09:52.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 09:52   #120
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Here it is folks...
The row opposite the Hare and Hounds

Google maps 177 A680 Clayton le Moors
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Looks summat like Whalley Rd, across from Hare @ Hounds to me?
Clever beggar am i.

Tags
clayton, long row, tripe shop, whalley road

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..