Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2012, 23:49   #1
I am Banned

Information about Clayton

My maternal great-grandmother owned a tripe shop at 158 Whalley Road in Clayton from approximately 1900 until 1949. I visited the area in 1978 just before it was leveled to make room for the new motorway.

My mother, who was raised by her grandmother, recently received an old photograph of the shop from a cousin who was going through his mother's memenos and photographs, etc. In the photograph, when you are facing the tripe shop, on the left is a shop with a sign that says, "Beasdale and Co" (and we think it says something about "leather").

My mother always told me that Long Row ran perpendicular to Whalley Road along the other side of the tripe shop, but now I am wondering.

Does anyone have any information about this? Thanks!
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2012, 14:42   #2
Rest in Peace

Re: Information about Clayton

Sorry can't help you with the enquiry about Bleasdales or the tripe shop,but the long row was Henry street if you look on Google there are only two houses there now. Before the motorway it went right up to High st,at the top of the hill. Alan Gillmartin may remember the tripe shop.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 17:12   #3
I am Banned

Yes, it's "Bleasdale" (missed the "l"). If you are saying that Long Row was really Henry Street, then this map makes sense. Grandma's shop was torn down to make way for the new motorway. It must have been on the corner of Whalley Road and Henry Street (Long Row).

Map view of property to rent in Henry Street Clayton Le Moors Accrington BB5 - Zoopla
Old 23-06-2012, 17:29   #4
I am Banned

Here's the photo my sister sent to me. It's very hard to make anything out. The photo must have been taken on Whit Monday when "walking with the scholars. Maybe mid 1920s.

Knight's Tripe Shop.jpg - 4shared.com - photo sharing - download image
Old 23-06-2012, 18:35   #5
I am Banned

Incidentally, just an aside. I have a personal gripe against those who take it upon themselves to, "correct others", incorrectly. My original post had nothing to do with "Lost Family and Friends"; it is a general question about a location in Clayton.

Eyethangewe.
Old 23-06-2012, 18:49   #6
Rest in Peace

I have a strong feeling (looking at Google map) the shop on the corner of Henry St with the three windows was a chemist and on the opposite corner was a sweet shop,at the corner of the next st (now gone)Well St was a sports shop called Freddy Camps where we bought all our football teams shirts,shorts and socks on a weekly payment.Across the road was the Load Of Mischief then a garage then the Star cinema and then a few shops to Clayton st, can't remember what they were think greengrocers.

Hope that helps.
Old 23-06-2012, 18:55   #7
I am Banned

I know the tripe shop was across the road from the Star cinema. I went there in 1978 just before the shop was torn down. It was on a corner - so it had to be Henry Street. There was a doorway along the side on Henry Street, and I went in there and dislodged a brick from the wall to take back to America for my mother. My cousin from Clitheroe drove me there, and she knew for certain where Grandma's shop was.
Old 24-06-2012, 12:55   #8
Rest in Peace

I have had an email off a friend who I asked if he could remember a tripe shop he could only think of a cooked meat shop on the same side as the Star,he could remember the corner sweet shop owned by George Hoyle he used to go to the Load with a jug for his beer. In between Well Street and Henry Street was the back street for Henry Street which was very wide and came right down to Whally Rd could the tripe shop have been on this corner,looking at the door numbers it looks like the bottom of Henry St would have been approx 148 and 150 which then could make 158 at the bottom of the back street.
If my friend comes up with anything I will let you know.
Old 24-06-2012, 13:35   #9
Beacon of light

this may have been prior to George Hoyle having the shop.
After all the original poster is talking about the time of 1900...and he also mentions his grandmother, so it might even have been before then That Bleasdales had the shop
I lived in Henry Street in the late 60's. I remember George Hoyles shop very well and Thornbers Chemist on the opposite corner of Henry St.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 14:22   #10
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
After all the original poster is talking about the time of 1900...and he also mentions his grandmother, so it might even have been before then That Bleasdales had the shop
I lived in Henry Street in the late 60's. I remember George Hoyles shop very well and Thornbers Chemist on the opposite corner of Henry St.
What he is saying Margaret that he went to see the tripe shop in 1978 before it was knocked down and he thought it was at the corner of Henry St
Old 24-06-2012, 14:41   #11
Resting in Peace

This is a shot taken from Mario maps, which shows Henry Street around 1890 ... was certainly a long row, so could have been nicknamed that :

Henry Street.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 14:42   #12
I am Banned

I think you are right. Grandma's tripe shop was definitely on a corner, but it was a narrow street or ally. If you look at the photo I posted, the end has been cut off, and there are no visible markings on the shop. Thanks!
Old 24-06-2012, 14:44   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
I have had an email off a friend who I asked if he could remember a tripe shop he could only think of a cooked meat shop on the same side as the Star,he could remember the corner sweet shop owned by George Hoyle he used to go to the Load with a jug for his beer. In between Well Street and Henry Street was the back street for Henry Street which was very wide and came right down to Whally Rd could the tripe shop have been on this corner,looking at the door numbers it looks like the bottom of Henry St would have been approx 148 and 150 which then could make 158 at the bottom of the back street.
Quote:
If my friend comes up with anything I will let you know.

I think you are right. Grandma's tripe shop was definitely on a corner, but it was a narrow street or ally. If you look at the photo I posted, the end has been cut off, and there are no visible markings on the shop. Thanks!
Old 24-06-2012, 14:57   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, my maternal great-grandmother, Adelaide Knight, owned the tripe shop from approximately 1900 until 1949. Her husband was called William, I think.

I made this up for a newsgroup based around the FEB. It's from my mother's memory:

Knight's Tripe Shop
158 Whalley Road
Clayton-le-Moors, Lancs.

Items sold:

TRIPE:
Fatty Seam
Honeycomb (put vinegar in every hole, please)
Ladies Tripe (cow's uterous)
Elder (cow's udder)

COW'S HEELS
SHEEP TROTTERS
SHEEP'S BRAINS (boiled, delicious gravy)
PIG'S FEET (trotters)
BLACK PUDDING
POLONY (know it was a stuffed casing, but that's all.

There was an "eating place" in the back which consisted of a table and a bench with salt, pepper and malt vinegar available, but it was hardly ever used.

Great-Grandma did a booming business during Word War II, as meat was practically unavailable, and tripe made a good substitute.
Old 24-06-2012, 14:59   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
What he is saying Margaret that he went to see the tripe shop in 1978 before it was knocked down and he thought it was at the corner of Henry St
Maybe not. It could have been the back street (ally?) that was mentioned in a previous post. But the shop was definitely on a corner.

Tags
clayton, long row, tripe shop, whalley road

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..