Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2015, 17:25   #1

Irene Procter Davies, 1921 - 2015

In Memory of Irene P. Davies --
Steerforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-12-2015, 19:15   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Irene Procter Davies, 1921 - 2015

My dad, also born 1921, may have known her. Is her maiden name known? How come she went to the USA?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 23:29   #3

Maiden name was "Bolton". Our family emigrated to the U.S. in the mid-1950s.
Old 29-12-2015, 09:24   #4

BBC Archive of World War Two written by Irene Bolton

Link BBC - WW2 People's War - My life and the war
cashman, JCB and lindashanks2 like this.
Acstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 15:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acstan View Post

WOW, I did not know this existed! I will have to send it to my sister who lives in Emmaus, PA, near Allentown. Thanks for posting! 1982? Wow again!
Old 29-12-2015, 16:29   #6

Sorry, a "senior moment". She didn't write this in 1982; she was eighty-two when she wrote it in 2003.
Old 29-12-2015, 19:21   #7
Senior Member+

Where did the Boltons live ? I recall a plumber, Jack Bolton, who had a shop in BurnleyRd, around No 68 He was a scout master at St John's in the 50s.. Not married I think. Posting something on here about the family may be helpful, though I suspect that it may be necessary to ask the library for help if you cannot get in there

Check out addresses and names on the 1939 registration, just published on Find My Past
Old 30-12-2015, 16:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Where did the Boltons live ? I recall a plumber, Jack Bolton, who had a shop in BurnleyRd, around No 68 He was a scout master at St John's in the 50s.. Not married I think. Posting something on here about the family may be helpful, though I suspect that it may be necessary to ask the library for help if you cannot get in there

Check out addresses and names on the 1939 registration, just published on Find My Past

I don't know where Harry Bolton lived, but I will try to find out. After my maternal grandmother died in 1926 from a fall, I think, he palmed my mother off onto her grandmother (the tripe shop) and he remarried. His issue from that union came to Canada, and I am in touch with a cousin. Maybe I can find out more.
Old 30-12-2015, 19:42   #9
I am Banned

Quote:

Dobbo, weren't that plumbers shop Denbighs at one time.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 20:09   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Dobbo, weren't that plumbers shop Denbighs at one time.
Denbighs was just up from the Boars Head, that side was odd numbers? i was born at 14 Burnley Rd across from Alan.E. Dents is how i know.
Old 30-12-2015, 21:00   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Denbighs was just up from the Boars Head, that side was odd numbers? i was born at 14 Burnley Rd across from Alan.E. Dents is how i know.
The Denbighs plumber I knew was on the righty hand side 1/2 way up between Melbourne St and Stanley St, he had a nephew who was on the same shift as me at the fire station.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 09:05   #12
Senior Member+

Denbighswas opposite the Boar's Head, next to a chipshop. Bolton's shop was near to the chipshop on the next block up, above Washington St
Old 31-12-2015, 10:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acstan View Post

If you didn't know at the bottom of the page from Irene's story of My Life & the War there are two more you can read, The Walls Have Ears and Rescue by Coal Barge.
Acstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 14:40   #14

Thanks! I didn't notice! My sister tells me that she proofread the compositions after my mother wrote them circa 2003.
Old 31-12-2015, 14:57   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The Denbighs plumber I knew was on the righty hand side 1/2 way up between Melbourne St and Stanley St, he had a nephew who was on the same shift as me at the fire station.
Quote:
Denbighswas opposite the Boar's Head, next to a chipshop. Bolton's shop was near to the chipshop on the next block up, above Washington St
When we moved from 14 Burnley Rd to Dowry St, denbighs back door faced ours, that would be mid 50s, I knew the dad Vinny, and grew up with Christine, who also had a couple of younger brothers, if they were on the opposite side of Burnley Rd, then it was before then.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..