Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2012, 22:33   #1
God Member

Lancashire Record Office

Can somebody tell me if you can view Death Certificates at the LRO or is ordering a copy the only way to see one ?
Old 15-08-2012, 11:10   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Lancashire Record Office

I can't answer your question Lancsdave.....but you might find your answers here.

Lancashire Archives - Enquiries and research

I hope this helps.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 11:44   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Can somebody tell me if you can view Death Certificates at the LRO or is ordering a copy the only way to see one ?
Only the Registrar is allowed to handle the registers covering births, marrages & deaths, you have to fill in a form for what you require they will then search the registers, and if there is a matching entry they wil make you a copy of the record, when the office was in Willow St, the charge was 7-50

Last edited by Retlaw; 15-08-2012 at 11:46.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 12:28   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Only the Registrar is allowed to handle the registers covering births, marrages & deaths, you have to fill in a form for what you require they will then search the registers, and if there is a matching entry they wil make you a copy of the record, when the office was in Willow St, the charge was 7-50
I usually order them online, price recently went up to £9 from memory. The ones I want aren't usually Accrington ones.

Normally I find the records on Lancashire BMD and 99% certain they are the right ones I don't mind paying for the certificate.( even though it is still pricey)

I have a couple at the moment which are more an assumption they might be the correct death records but don't want to pay to confirm at this stage
Old 15-08-2012, 12:50   #5

Are the certificates you want in Lancashire?

I have always found the staff at Preston Registrars to be very helpful and I usually send a covering letter stating some details of the person I am looking for and on a couple of occasions they have returned my application saying the details on the certificate don't match.

I have found the Lancashire BMD site a bonus with both births and deaths as they give the mothers maiden name back to 1837 and also ages at death and sub registration district.

I was lucky enough to have been the co-ordinator for the Hyndburn Records when the work was being done at Willow Street but have not been able to be involved since the work moved to Preston but am very grateful to all the volunteers who are still carrying out this wonderful resource.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 13:17   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Was £9 last year,when i had to snare one Dave.
Old 15-08-2012, 17:55   #7

You order your certificates (back to 1837) on this site provided you have a reference number it is £9.25

Order birth, marriage and death certificates : Directgov - Government, citizens and rights

You can order over the phone and pay by Card.

However if the Certificate you are after is registered at a local office you can go there and order one.
There is a charge if they need to do a search (a reference number will avoid this charge)

If you do not have a reference number there are many on this site who utilise Family Search websites who I am sure would try to get one for you provided you give the right info on the persons certificate you want.

However as you are using Lancs BMD you are already on the right track - if you are going back beyond 1911 then Census details might help in confirming the individual you are currently assuming is the one you are after.

Last edited by accybill; 15-08-2012 at 17:58.
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..