Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2008, 01:00   #1

lost cousins

hello accy people ,,,,,,,i lived in accrington and huncoat from 63 to 76 my grandparents were Jimmy and Annie Creg,,,,i had a aunt Clare Barns,,,they have all passed on,,,but i have cousins some were in accrington Janet and Julie Barns (twins) Kristen, Marten Barns.......if anyone has heard of these guys it would be interesting to hear how they are doing,,,,,,,thankyou
Tracy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2008, 22:06   #2
Senior Member+

Re: lost cousins

I wonder if jimmy Cregg was the man who was undermanager at Huncoat Pit in the 1950s. One of life's gentlemen. I was his cletrk for a while. I have seen a photo of him in a book but cannot recall where.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 22:59   #3

yes Bob thats my Grampa he was the sweetest man i miss him dearly ,,,i lived with my grand parent in Huncoat until 76,,,,i would love to see the book you saw him in .....thank you for your reply,,,,,do you have any stories about him that you could share with me,,,he was the world to my Nana my Mum and i.....thanks again
Tracy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:25   #4

The book you are reffering to is probably 'Colleries of North East Lancashire' by Jack Nadin - ISBN 978-0-7524-2803-1 although Jack Nadin has a couple of similar titles to the above so he may appear in others.

Jimmy Cregg was my uncle, his brother Bernard Cregg was my Father.
Bernard Cregg was a deputy at Thorny Bank colliery, before overseeing the demolition of Huncoat pit in the late sixties.

I was born and lived in Huncoat until about 1976 when I moved to Accrington, I now live in Preston.

I have lost touch with the cousins you refer to - Christine (Barnes), Martin, Janette and Julie, the last time I would have seen them was in 1982 at Jimmy Cregg's funeral, both Jimmy and Bernard Cregg died in 1982.
steviec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:08   #5
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy J View Post
hello accy people ,,,,,,,i lived in accrington and huncoat from 63 to 76 my grandparents were Jimmy and Annie Creg,,,,i had a aunt Clare Barns,,,they have all passed on,,,but i have cousins some were in accrington Janet and Julie Barns (twins) Kristen, Marten Barns.......if anyone has heard of these guys it would be interesting to hear how they are doing,,,,,,,thankyou
Tracy/steviec.
I worked at Huncoat from 1963 until it closed. I knew Jimmy Cregg very well. He was a true gentleman who sometimes did not like to play the part of big boss. I was very proud to have known and worked for him. He helped lots of young guys out at the pit. Some who had to get married very young. He made sure they could earn plenty of money. There are some photo,s in my album. I am sure you will find a photo of Jimmy Cregg there. Let me know will you. Mog.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 19:00   #6
Junior Member+

hi steviec are you Barry Cregg's brother
Patrick D O is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..