Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2011, 20:46   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: memories

The shops between Redmans and Dutton Street changed hands many times ... the only ones I can remember that was there for any length of time, during my early years, was the material shop .. can't remember the name though .. Lightfoots ?

Thanks for saying Accrington Centre looks good, Claytonx ... I don't think it looks too bad either. Just need to remove all those buses from Peel Street and replace with a lovely square and it will be euphoric.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2011, 21:01   #17
Rest in Peace

Going to have to park up and have a walk round
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 23:10   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
I think that photo would have been taken from the Town Hall were the bus for Clayton would have gone from I remember woolworth as main by anything store, Accross from the Town Hall was Redmans on the corner of St James St under the Elite snooker but can anyone remember what was on the corner of Dutton St and the shops in between did the single decker leave from there for Fern Gore. I have just looked at Accrington center on Google looks good.
Funny that,i can't either, yet the other block between Church St @ Dutton St, was Barnes, Branded Lines, Woolworths, which i remember.
Old 26-10-2011, 11:52   #19
I am Banned

Groove thinks Cashman should start a page on Accyweb with his memories and tales of the pubs of Accy...Groove thinks Retlaw would have a great page called Retlaw remembers...Groove has read this forum for years now and never tires of listening to tales about Accy of the past.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 12:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Groove thinks Cashman should start a page on Accyweb with his memories and tales of the pubs of Accy...Groove thinks Retlaw would have a great page called Retlaw remembers...Groove has read this forum for years now and never tires of listening to tales about Accy of the past.
You could also have your own page, perhaps called: Groovy Grooving with the Grooveman.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 15:11   #21
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Funny that,i can't either, yet the other block between Church St @ Dutton St, was Barnes, Branded Lines, Woolworths, which i remember.
Was there a butchers on that block? Could it have been Burtons mens wear corner of Dutton st
Old 26-10-2011, 17:50   #22
Resting in Peace

What was the gents outfitters that was on that block, latter moving to the Arndale
Old 26-10-2011, 19:25   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Was there a butchers on that block? Could it have been Burtons mens wear corner of Dutton st
Could it have been Weaver to Wearer or Alexandra tailors, I bought suits of both in the late 60's but can't remember just where they were.
Old 26-10-2011, 19:45   #24
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Could it have been Weaver to Wearer or Alexandra tailors, I bought suits of both in the late 60's but can't remember just where they were.
Alexandra was on the corner of Birch St I bought a blue gaberdean suit the in my teen years what they called a zoot suit because it was very loose fitting and had large shoulders fitted. Bryan Mercer later had the shop diy one of the first in Accy.
I think weaver to wearer was on the same block as HSBC and Yorkshire Bank the other end
Old 26-10-2011, 19:57   #25
JCB

Quote:
Could it have been Burtons mens wear corner of Dutton st
Yes I'm almost certain it was Burtons .

The single-decker buses outide that row of shops were the Willows Lane and Moscow Mill buses .

The Fern Gore bus was a double-decker which left from Peel St , next to the Baptist church .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 20:33   #26
I am Banned

Corner of Dutton St.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picadilly.jpg (157.6 KB, 37 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 20:43   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Yeh could be correct, though i can only remember Burtons when it was just a few shops past the Yorkshire Bank, Think the butchers may have been Dewhursts?
Old 26-10-2011, 22:20   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh could be correct, though i can only remember Burtons when it was just a few shops past the Yorkshire Bank, Think the butchers may have been Dewhursts?
I think Dewhurst were there when I was at co-op
Old 27-10-2011, 08:04   #29

The name was Alexanders, and dont forget John Colliers, ( the window to watch ) it was a few doors up from Alexanders. Burtons on the corner of Dutton st, I think the Wimpy was next door.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 08:46   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Yes I'm almost certain it was Burtons .

The single-decker buses outide that row of shops were the Willows Lane and Moscow Mill buses .

The Fern Gore bus was a double-decker which left from Peel St , next to the Baptist church .
Burtons, that's the name of the gents outfitters I was thinking of JCB, nearly sure they had a shop on the corner of Dutton St.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..