Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 13:49   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: memories

Anybody remember a shop called Mac Fisheries on Broadway, well I think it was on Broadway
Old 05-11-2011, 15:18   #62
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
T'was the top end of BLACK ABBEY STREET, a shop "before" its time. Think it could be classed as the first supermarket in Accy.
Have enclosed a photo, the building with white walls was the site of Saul's
And before that it was known as Bob Holts, seem to remember old Saul went to supermarket type selling in the late 1960.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 15:24   #63
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Yes it was always the Argenta in our family too.

I would have said the first proper supermarket was the Maypole on Broadway, late 60s.
More digging in my books of old Accy photos turns up a pic of Blackburn Road in 1927 with a shop called Argenta in the block opposite the market hall, about halfway between Woolies on on corner and Bridges china/hardware shop on the other. Presumably so called because it sold meat from Argentina.

Pretty certain the Maypole was next to the new Woolies on Broadway Claytonx. The same book mentioned above has a photo of Little Blackburn Road 1963 with a grocer on the first corner on the left, but it was Melias not Maypole. And Jaysay, I think Mac Fisheries was next door to Maypole on Broadway.

Mobertol, I dont think Asda was around when I left Accy in 1968, I certainly don't remember it.

Cheers all
Sue
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 15:30   #64
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
More digging in my books of old Accy photos turns up a pic of Blackburn Road in 1927 with a shop called Argenta in the block opposite the market hall, about halfway between Woolies on on corner and Bridges china/hardware shop on the other. Presumably so called because it sold meat from Argentina.

Pretty certain the Maypole was next to the new Woolies on Broadway Claytonx. The same book mentioned above has a photo of Little Blackburn Road 1963 with a grocer on the first corner on the left, but it was Melias not Maypole. And Jaysay, I think Mac Fisheries was next door to Maypole on Broadway.

Mobertol, I dont think Asda was around when I left Accy in 1968, I certainly don't remember it.

Cheers all
Sue
The Supermarket on Blackburn Road was there....but it wasn't called Asda....it was called Queens. My daughter was born in 1968 and I can remember taking her into Queens supermarket as a very small baby.
I think the branding of the supermarket as ASDA came later....but not quite sure when.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 15:45   #65
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The Supermarket on Blackburn Road was there....but it wasn't called Asda....it was called Queens. My daughter was born in 1968 and I can remember taking her into Queens supermarket as a very small baby.
I think the branding of the supermarket as ASDA came later....but not quite sure when.
Yea it was Melias
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 17:42   #66
I am Banned

Quote:
Wasn't Asda formerly Associated Dairies.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-11-2011 at 17:43. Reason: Spelling
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 17:53   #67
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Anybody remember a shop called Mac Fisheries on Broadway, well I think it was on Broadway
It's the second shop down , Jaysay , next to Kyles .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accringtonbroadway.jpg (67.2 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by JCB; 05-11-2011 at 17:55.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 18:40   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Wasn't Asda formerly Associated Dairies.

Retlaw.
Asda Stores Limited was founded as Associated Dairies & Farm Stores Limited in 1949 in Leeds. The adoption of the Asda name occurred in 1965 with the merger of the Asquith chain of three supermarkets and Associated Dairies; Asda is an abbreviation of Asquith and Dairies, often capitalised.
Old 05-11-2011, 19:19   #69
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Asda Stores Limited was founded as Associated Dairies & Farm Stores Limited in 1949 in Leeds. The adoption of the Asda name occurred in 1965 with the merger of the Asquith chain of three supermarkets and Associated Dairies; Asda is an abbreviation of Asquith and Dairies, often capitalised.
Ha ha, Gremlin's also been looking on Wikipedia.

Another internet source says: In 1963 the Asquith brothers converted an ex-cinema, the Queens in Castleford into a self-service supermarket. Another swiftly followed in the old indoor market at Edlington near Doncaster. Both stores traded under the name of ‘Queens’. Instead of converting an existing building their next store was a purpose built supermarket in South Elmsall near Pontefract on the site of the old Palace cinema. It was in 1965 when the Asquith brothers joined together with Noel Stockdale, Arthur Stockdale’s son and Associated Dairies to form a new company.
ASquith + DAiries = ASDA

JCB, I stand corrected. Of course that's where Mac Fisheries was. I still think Maypole was at the other end of that block.
Old 05-11-2011, 20:26   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Maypole was on little Blackburn Rd, Twas sold to Garth Dawson i believe.
Old 05-11-2011, 20:42   #71
Beacon of light

Where Garth Dawson's is now......well that used to be Curry's Electrical shop.
I worked there when I left school in 1962. In the accounts department.......me, in the accounts department....what a laugh. I was pants at arithmetic!
Old 05-11-2011, 21:16   #72
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Where Garth Dawson's is now......well that used to be Curry's Electrical shop.
I worked there when I left school in 1962. In the accounts department.......me, in the accounts department....what a laugh. I was pants at arithmetic!
My book of old photos also has Curry's there, in 1963.
Old 05-11-2011, 21:53   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Near sure Atarah posted a pic on here somewhere awhile back of it?
Old 05-11-2011, 22:06   #74
Beacon of light

Didn't Melias used to have the shop that Ray Linden later occupied....the one that was a picture place in the dim and distant past?

The only reason I say that is.......I used to work for Slingers in Peel St.......and I was outside (scrubbing the duckboards on a cold and icy Monday morning) and a woman came round the top corner of Peel St. with two paper carrier bags full of groceries - slipped on the ice and all her groceries spilled into Peel St.......her jaffas were rolling past Prices(the cake shop) and I am ashamed to say I laughed!
Old 05-11-2011, 22:10   #75
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

The picture place yon was the Palace remember it early 50s, closed i think early 60s,that was were Rays shop was. The other picture place across road were Lloyds bank used to be was the Kings Hall (Bug Hut) wi the Central Billard Hall Underneath,

Last edited by cashman; 05-11-2011 at 22:12.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..