Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 19:05   #91
Beacon of light

Re: memories

My memory isn't bad(usually).....but, I'm now more convinced it was Maypole, rather than Melais...especially after seeing some of the old Pics of Melias at the foot of Eagle Street.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2011, 19:42   #92
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
My memory isn't bad(usually).....but, I'm now more convinced it was Maypole, rather than Melais...especially after seeing some of the old Pics of Melias at the foot of Eagle Street.
Margaret, just to show that your not going daft, I've cropped this from a 1914 Observer, part of a page when I was looking for Accrington Pals, note the two adresses.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maypole Dairy-1914.JPG (147.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 07-11-2011 at 19:44.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 20:20   #93
Resting In Peace

Don't remember Melias at all, remember Ray Lynden at the old Palace, and only remember Maypole when it was on Broadway in the 60s. Looking at Retlaw's ad, I reckon it was common for these national grocery chains to have more than one shop years ago.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 20:43   #94
Beacon of light

Thanks Retlaw...not that I was around in 1914 you understand
Old 07-11-2011, 22:09   #95
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Thanks Retlaw...not that I was around in 1914 you understand
Here's another when you weren't around.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010063.jpg (370.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-11-2011, 06:25   #96
Senior Member+

The bottom photo showing a fabulous looking shop was FLACKS, along Blackburn Road. When they were after a name for the new pub which became THE CALDER, there was a competition to name it. I put forward the name FLACK's cos of that fab shop that had once been in the vacinity, but ............. of course, I never won! Still think it would have been an ace name for the pub!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:04   #97
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Retlaw.
Ya memories from your childhood Walter
Old 08-11-2011, 11:20   #98
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya memories from your childhood Walter
No yours.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:29   #99
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Retlaw.
What beautiful shop front's they used to have -so much more elegant than todays and they were designed to draw you into the shop...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:37   #100
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
What beautiful shop front's they used to have -so much more elegant than todays and they were designed to draw you into the shop...
Yep think it seemed to work well, also the fact there were very few or primitive alarms,made em much more attractive to burglars.
Old 08-11-2011, 13:33   #101
God Member

As I walked round Accy last week I noticed a lack of interesting window-dressing and displays in the shops - there is such a lot of tacky stuff on offer. Even M&S seemed to have little of interest -they have a better selection on-line. I went to Gene Sutcliffe's sale where I bought a jacket and scarf, but it was like a plague of locusts had been through by the time I got there....and there was very little left either in the window or the shop!

Shops in Italy make more of an effort I think and people as a whole are more fashion conscious - even though they do favour a lot of black! Pound shops are also very rare over here too...Below a few pics of some of the nicest shops in Cremona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg testata_02.jpg (58.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg lannfranchi.jpg (18.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg lanf interior.jpg (18.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Stanga.jpg (88.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg original_Tenca1.jpg (32.7 KB, 12 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 14:22   #102
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Shops in Italy make more of an effort I think and people as a whole are more fashion conscious - even though they do favour a lot of black! Pound shops are also very rare over here too...Below a few pics of some of the nicest shops in Cremona.
They're not so much fashion conscious as stylish, whether wearing the latest trends or not. Couldn't get over the sight of a police woman in Florence with long black hair coming out from under her white helmet - wouldn't be allowed here!

One ofthe problems in this country is that women tend to follow fashion whether it suits them or not, and it often doesn't. And there is an awful lot of tat about - quantity rather than quality.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 14:25   #103
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
They're not so much fashion conscious as stylish, whether wearing the latest trends or not. Couldn't get over the sight of a police woman in Florence with long black hair coming out from under her white helmet - wouldn't be allowed here!

One ofthe problems in this country is that women tend to follow fashion whether it suits them or not, and it often doesn't. And there is an awful lot of tat about - quantity rather than quality.
Agree many these days wouldn't know "Style" if it slapped em in the kisser.
Old 08-11-2011, 14:29   #104
Beacon of light

I don't think Accrington should be used as representative of the Uk.......there are many places where you can see interesting Window Displays. Harrogate is a fair example.

Susie, I think you are spot on with the observation about British women and fashion.....and what is it with women of a certain age dressing like teenagers?
Old 08-11-2011, 14:34   #105
Rest in Peace

Quote:
As I walked round Accy last week I noticed a lack of interesting window-dressing and displays in the shops - there is such a lot of tacky stuff on offer. Even M&S seemed to have little of interest -they have a better selection on-line. I went to Gene Sutcliffe's sale where I bought a jacket and scarf, but it was like a plague of locusts had been through by the time I got there....and there was very little left either in the window or the shop!

The way the Euro is going I think you will finish up with a lot of 1 Euro shops
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..