Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 18:09   #106
Resting in Peace

Re: memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
As I walked round Accy last week I noticed a lack of interesting window-dressing and displays in the shops - there is such a lot of tacky stuff on offer. Even M&S seemed to have little of interest -they have a better selection on-line. I went to Gene Sutcliffe sale where I bought a jacket and scarf, but it was like a plague of locusts had been through by the time I got there....and there was very little left either in the window or the shop!

Shops in Italy make more of an effort I think and people as a whole are more fashion conscious - even though they do favour a lot of black! Pound shops are also very rare over here too...Below a few pics of some of the nicest shops in Cremona.
Well having worked extensively in the shop fitting game, I honestly think the best set out shop I've seen since I've been making visits down town by a country mile is Bodycare, the set out is absolutely first class
Old 08-11-2011, 18:24   #107
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well having worked extensively in the shop fitting game, I honestly think the best set out shop I've seen since I've been making visits down town by a country mile is Bodycare, the set out is absolutely first class
Wont get me back in yon.
Old 08-11-2011, 18:35   #108
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Wont get me back in yon.
Never mind Bodycare, neither Wimpy's nor Vickers at Barrow could help thee wi thi body.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-11-2011 at 18:35. Reason: Spell
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 18:38   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Wont get me back in yon.
Ya its a pity really seems they got most things right apart for their ethics
Old 10-11-2011, 00:15   #110

Hi Fliss, Most of my Dads family where from Accrington, I was a TV engineer in the 60ties and worked for myself..Electrical Trade Services .( Chorley) I had a contract with the co-op in Brinscal, Chorley, Leyland, and Croston to service their TV's. Came to Accy once or twice, The name Lomax rings a bell though...Take care....Tony
robot1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 16:02   #111
Resting In Peace

Back to the Maypole... see posts 82 and thereabouts. Just found the following in an Observer article from 2003:

The Edgar Street building became the home to the Observer at the turn of last century after it was formerly produced from an office and print works in Peel Street, which later became the home of the Maypole Dairy.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 18:59   #112
God Member

I know my Grandads first job as a boy was with Maypole Dairies back in the 1920's.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 21:47   #113
Member.

Quote:
As I walked round Accy last week I noticed a lack of interesting window-dressing and displays in the shops - there is such a lot of tacky stuff on offer. Even M&S seemed to have little of interest -they have a better selection on-line. I went to Gene Sutcliffe's sale where I bought a jacket and scarf, but it was like a plague of locusts had been through by the time I got there....and there was very little left either in the window or the shop!

Shops in Italy make more of an effort I think and people as a whole are more fashion conscious - even though they do favour a lot of black! Pound shops are also very rare over here too...Below a few pics of some of the nicest shops in Cremona.
It's funny. I haven't been in Accrington Town Centre for over 3 years, but the last time I had a good look round it reminding me of a town stuck in another time. M&S seemed to be almost hanging on to the late 80s and there was little else to impress. I don't want to knock it but it was dull and dank. That said I would still drive to Lancaster, Blackburn or Accrington rather than shop in Blackpool.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 21:59   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
It's funny. I haven't been in Accrington Town Centre for over 3 years, but the last time I had a good look round it reminding me of a town stuck in another time. M&S seemed to be almost hanging on to the late 80s and there was little else to impress. I don't want to knock it but it was dull and dank. That said I would still drive to Lancaster, Blackburn or Accrington rather than shop in Blackpool.
I last went shopping in Blackpool last year while visiting with my Aunt -they don't have bad shops but the center was full of groups on Hen parties/Stag do's in the middle of the day. I remember years ago going to Lytham-St.Annes shopping with my mum which was quite nice and nearer to you perhaps...used to love going for the day to Southport many moons ago from Liverpool too.

Accrington is OK but could be better unfortunately -the place is not being used to it's full potential (eg Empty Arcade which is a lovely facility)- bad council policy seems to be a common complaint here and may well be part of the problem...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 22:05   #115
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Three years?

You were always popping back at one time.

Many times you'd catch me leaning against some wall, minding the bags.

Thought you'd like being back in the eighties.

Your era...the 1880's.

Hope you, and your's, are all well and happy though.

Take care Doug.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 22:20   #116
Member.

Quote:
I last went shopping in Blackpool last year while visiting with my Aunt -they don't have bad shops but the center was full of groups on Hen parties/Stag do's in the middle of the day. I remember years ago going to Lytham-St.Annes shopping with my mum which was quite nice and nearer to you perhaps...used to love going for the day to Southport many moons ago from Liverpool too.

Accrington is OK but could be better unfortunately -the place is not being used to it's full potential (eg Empty Arcade which is a lovely facility)- bad council policy seems to be a common complaint here and may well be part of the problem...
Accrington to me is it's own worst enemy. It's got to learn to compete and above all exert it's self. It lacks investment and vision. It's got such a wealth of history and the people (the real dye in the wool people) have such a lot to offer those coming in from the outside. In it's past it had everything. Coal, Iron. Textiles, Invention and above all Valour. It's people had character, warmth and friendliness that you'd struggle to find anywhere else. It's not about immigration or the watering down of the gene pool, it's about self belief and the will the be heard. The wider community has such a lot to offer it's own people as well as those beyond. Accrington and the surrounding area is dull and dank and seems quite happy to dwell that way. I look at Accyweb occasionally and see starlings of a community that wants' more for itself: from football to museums, culture to visions of a better place, from maintaining it's history to reaching out for tomorrow……then ****** all happens.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 25-11-2011, 22:25   #117
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Very apt you popping up in "Lost Friends" section Doug, i was beginning to think yeh had croaked, welcome back.
Old 25-11-2011, 22:28   #118
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Three years?

You were always popping back at one time.

Many times you'd catch me leaning against some wall, minding the bags.

Thought you'd like being back in the eighties.

Your era...the 1880's.

Hope you, and your's, are all well and happy though.

Take care Doug.
You know, I love you Rindy. You have a sense of place, a quality of self worth. I miss Accrington; I wouldn't move back, but I miss it. Time's are though matey, working seven days a week, golf and whiskey are the only outlets. debt is crippling but I've still got the business. If I live beyond 2015 I'll be debt free and be able to kark it without owing any ****** anything. Stick at it lad.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 25-11-2011, 22:33   #119
Member.

Quote:
Very apt you popping up in "Lost Friends" section Doug, i was beginning to think yeh had croaked, welcome back.

I'm still here Cashy, I look in alot, but say now't. You never forget your own. One day I'll buy you all a pint or four. I was looking at a photo of you and another member. Your looking well cock.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 26-11-2011, 07:15   #120
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Stick at it lad.
You too matey.

Always remember Cashy's mantra.

N.L.T.B.G.Y.D.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..