Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2003, 07:51   #16
Jo

Post Re: Missing friends

What is it about Fern Gore? half its inhabitants seem to move abroad, check you lot out for an example......
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-10-2003, 08:11   #17

I wanted to see the sun
All my family still live in the area thou
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 11:57   #18

We have maybe moved away but once a Fern Gorian always a Fern Gorian.  Shame we cant have a reunion.
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:25   #19
Senior Member+

[quote author=Lynne link=board=lostfriends;num=1061476181;start=0#17 date=10/10/03 at 12:57:42]We have maybe moved away but once a Fern Gorian always a Fern Gorian. Shame we cant have a reunion.[/quote]
never a trueer word said Lynne.Jo you just would not understand it.Inbred thing
Old 13-10-2003, 16:51   #20
God Member

There alway's been something funny about them from up Fern Gore......
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2003, 20:58   #21

clarence road is were I lived from the age of four till I was fourteen and it was great then bullough park, sledging down past duxburys shop at the end of fern gore ave finishing up at the bottom of willows lane going to spring hill council school old bill spencer cane in his hand the headmaster miss hindle my favourite teacher them were the days
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2003, 19:25   #22

used to live at no 6 Rimington Ave Fern Gore for about 12 years from 1971 to 1983 roberts family. Robinsons live next door. Tom had the papershop and bill and edna had the VG. i always remember he was a city fan. Dad used to work behind the bar at the jenny and my mum used to clean.
windthrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2003, 16:45   #23
Senior Member+

anybody remember the chippie along Fern Gore Ave? Believe the womans name was Joan and they lived along High Street
Old 17-10-2003, 03:33   #24

I think the last name was Wallace but I remember the dog they use to have

I can get HP sauce now at the commissary here on post. I moaned about them not having any British food so much that the manager got rich tea bicusits Ty Phoo tea Robertsons jam plus about 10 -15 other items.
I do not have the heart to tell him we are moving in dec to the west coast.
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2003, 16:38   #25
Senior Member+

KLnow the feeling as well.Go mad on anything over here.Can get HP now.Walkers crisps i do myself.Nice little side line business.Wanted to get Hollands Pies going but well, the Germans will not allow them over the border.Try www.expatshopping.comThey deliver all over the world and you never know there may even be a  store in Vancouver
Old 18-10-2003, 18:59   #26

Yes chippy people were called Wallace. Their daughter was called Pauline. She was a friend of mine and went to Holy Family. Sorry I dont know where thy are now I left in 1968 and I think they left before me.
Old 18-10-2003, 19:06   #27

Mik  if it is the Wallace's your talking about they lived in the flat above the shop. Other shops at the time were of course Tom's papershop and Ruth had the clothes shop.
Old 18-10-2003, 19:16   #28

Keith which shop at the end of Fern Gore Ave. The one on willows Lane near phone box was owned by The Britcliffes and then by the Stantons.  What year did the Duxburys have a shop there. I used to slide down the grassy hill just behind the shop on flattened cardboard boxes.  That was when I couldn't find wheels to make a trolly. Now they were mean machines. ;D
Old 18-10-2003, 20:46   #29

duxburys shop was at the willows lane end later the shop was owned by the newalls who later moved to rishton and with the help of their daughter shirley and her husband jack ran two paper shops As regards the sledging the king of the sledges was kenny hanson as many as six could get on kennys    sledge for  the ride of your life  starting at dunnyshop ave and ending at blackburn road were platts club is now  This was at a time when the estate was often isolated from the town due to the snow and the salting wasnot on the scale it is now in fact we had five very bad winters in they early forties an during those five years the snow was on the ground often from november till the and of march I remember my  older brothers taken sledges down to the  scaithcliffe pit then at the bottom of ormrod street and taking all day to get back with two bags of coal and the neighbours coming round cadging because every one had run out of precious coal through therebeing no deliverys due to the snow  yes I REMEMBER those days
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2003, 21:13   #30
Senior Member+

Wow Keith you sound like the historian of Fern GoreLived up Fern Gore from 1975 to 1982 and now over here

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..