Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 20:35   #1

Missing Names

Retlaw do you have any information on Maloney M., whose name should be on the Church War Memorial. My mother was a Maloney, who was born in Church, and Maloney M. could quite well be a distant relation.
I have'nt come across any more Maloney's whilst researching Family Tree. If any one else has any info on this family I would be very grateful if you would let me know.
T
Tetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-04-2011, 22:08   #2
I am Banned

Re: Missing Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetti View Post
Retlaw do you have any information on Maloney M., whose name should be on the Church War Memorial. My mother was a Maloney, who was born in Church, and Maloney M. could quite well be a distant relation.
I have'nt come across any more Maloney's whilst researching Family Tree. If any one else has any info on this family I would be very grateful if you would let me know.
T
Michael Maloney
Pte. 11274. 2nd East Lancs
K.I.A. 5-5-1915 in Belgium
Commemorated on Ploegsteert Memorial Belgium.
Mentioned in the Sacred Heart Parish note book.
S.D.G.W. Born in Tipperary, lived in Church. Lancs.
Not on Sacred Heart Memorial, or any other local memorial.
One reason for his name being missed off the memorials, is no
one available to put his name forward for inclusion, or he was living in lodgings,
and had no permanent address locally.

His death was not recorded in any local newspaper,
there were never any memoriam notices published, in the
1916 to 1919 local newspapers.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 10-04-2011 at 22:12.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 20:44   #3

Hi Retlaw
Thanks for the info, it has answered a few questions, but still a few more needs answering.
Where could I find his enlisting papers? Maybe it will give more info,DoB, address or next of kin even, who knows?
Thanks again,
Best regards
T
Old 11-04-2011, 22:21   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetti View Post
Hi Retlaw
Thanks for the info, it has answered a few questions, but still a few more needs answering.
Where could I find his enlisting papers? Maybe it will give more info,DoB, address or next of kin even, who knows?
Thanks again,
Best regards
T
His service papers are amongst those that were destroyed during the blitz in 1940. There is only one document, which is his medal card which shows he was entitled to the 14/15 Star date 12-12-1914.
That means he was al;ready serving in the army when war was declared, and was posted to France, therefore he was not living in Church at the time.
The 2nd East Lancs was in South Africa in August 1914, they were posted back to England and then to France and Belgium.

The Medals were being issued during the 1920's, and from the information the medals were returned, two reasons for this.
(1) The address given for his next of kin was wrong, and they were returned by the post office.
(2) The recipients returned them as unwanted.
The fact that there is no next of kin recorded on the C.W.G., means they never received a reply to the questionare sent out to the last known address of a soldier.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-04-2011 at 22:29.
Old 11-04-2011, 22:48   #5
I am Banned

Here is Michaels medal card.
Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maloney. Michael. 11274-E.L.-M.C..jpg (218.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-04-2011, 19:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Here is Michaels medal card.
Retlaw
Just reading this thread urges me to say thank you to Retlaw, even though the present thread has nothing to do with me.
I just can't believe how thoughtful Retlaw is, to go to all the trouble of researching and finding info. on people who are long gone and who seem to be of interest to so few people.
I don't know if I will ever need you Retlaw in the future ( although you have already helped me (Gilmartin thread) in the past.but thank you anyway
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 20:18   #7

Hi Retlaw
Thanks for providing the above info its much appreciated.
I'll have to see what I can find in the 1911 census.
Thanks again
T
Old 13-04-2011, 06:39   #8
Senior Member+

Missing Names

Yes, well done Retlaw! Take a bow! (and some flowers)
You are mellowing with age! Lovely you have helped this member of Accyweb.
Attached Images
File Type: gif flowers.gif (29.5 KB, 4 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 21:32   #9

Looks like you've got a fan club Retlaw.
I must agree with these two ladies you have provided me with lot of info (more than what you usually give). So I think you deserve some karma.
Best regards
T

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..