Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2008, 19:28   #346
Super Moderator

Re: Moorhead High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Jock Bentley - Maths
Maths??...he was the PE teacher when I was there in the AGS era. Can't imagine him teaching maths!
Old 25-09-2008, 19:58   #347
Full Member+

This would be 1972 ish in the queens building. He was a small dumpy chap with a bit of a temper. I am pretty sure it was maths he taught and seemed the kind of teacher who had been there a long time. Now you mention it he was in charge of swimming when we went to the old Accy baths. He stood on the balcony and barked orders down from there.
I remember a swimming gala when one of the prefects fell in (not on purpose of course)

PE teachers then were Gordon Leach and a thug called Cartlidge.

A couple of others have come to mind - Mrs Shaw (Baggy) and Mr Hanrahan RE and classical studies, always very enthusiastic about homer long before the Simpsons
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 21:50   #348

You are right MEP, Jock definitely did teach maths but he also was heavily into PE. I remember he always seemed to wear a blazer with an amateur athletics association badge on it.
He was very different from "JAB" Bentley who taught english and bought some god-forsaken scottish island to live on or something after giving up teaching
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 21:51   #349
Super Moderator

Sounds like the same bloke, although he must have been getting on a bit by then. The only Cartledge I knew was Geoff Cartledge who was a large, bespectacled Yorkshireman who taught Chemistry in my day. Maybe they liked to swap jobs sometimes?
Old 25-09-2008, 22:05   #350

"Charlie" Cartledge was athug and did teach chemistry. I remember he "tackled" Graeme Fowler (later of Lancs & England cc fame) during a staff v school football game. He did not seem to be exactly filled with remorse as GF was carried to a waiting ambulance...
Old 26-09-2008, 12:21   #351
Junior Member+

i just left Moorhead and seriously over the past 12 weeks it's changed SO much!
sparkiediv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 22:24   #352

Hi Folks

I left Moorhead in 1986 and i wish i was back there now, had some real laughs especially with Mr Bolton, he was a top teacher apart from him throwing the board duster at me and my mate Tony Howarth nearly every lesson for messin around.
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 20:20   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILKYBUSDRIVER View Post
I also remember the poor lad Gary Robinson who got struck by lightening on the playing fields just on the plateau further up from the sandpit near the queens building.I also remember Mr McLaren's infamous peformance as boy george.
i were their that day not a nice day
piki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 09:55   #354

Moorhead having a reunion at Whittakers on Burnley rd on 28th Nov, for students who left between 1982-1984
vicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 00:15   #355
Junior Member+

Ah yes, Jock..............quite a character.

He loved smacking lads round the back of the head during Maths with his specs case. Would be done for assault now. He also took people to Accrington baths (probably would have drowned some if he could- although he himself never got in the water).

Made me chuckle when some lads had notes from their mothers in an attempt to excuse them from swimming, saying poor little Jimmy had a bad cold. Jock would have none of it and said getting in the water was good for colds and if they hadn't brought their trunks don't worry as he'd have brought some spare...lol.

Other teachers were Psycho Sims for Chemistry (used to do a weird kind of belch when you weren't ready for it). I assume that's why he got his nickname.

Tufty Smith for Physics nicknamed 'cos a lock of hair was always prevalent adjacent to his head. Many lads didn't like him but he was always ok with me as one day four of us were shouting 'Tufty' as well as a few other choice expletives as he was walking ahead of us. He turned and called each of us to be summoned to the Psychics lab one Friday morning. Only myself and another lad turned up, the other two thinking he'd forget who he'd asked to be there.

He did indeed forget who it was but not the number of us. He threatened myself and the other lad with the training shoe and he took great delight in showing it to us. He told us he'd go out of the room for a few minutes and on his return if we didn't say who the other two guys were we'd get six of the best. The other lad bottled it and told him who wasn't present and from that day forward I always got Tufty's respect.

Initially Vera Wallwork for English and laterly Mr Walmsley (Who wouldn't have given you a 10 even if you were a budding poet laureate) and finally Mrs O'Brien.

Ma Smith for French - She used to hide behind the classroom door after threatening to go and get the head .

Baggy Shaw for Latin - God she had a monotonous tone...........should have recorded something for insomniacs IMO.

Miss Melody for Geography............she used to say somethin and everythin, never added the 'G'. Lovely old dear though. I once fell asleep during one of her slide shows and she was kind enough to ask if I'd slept well when the bell went.

Also had Mr Fletcher for Geography who once remarked that he didn't think I had a geographical fact in my brain. Don't think he liked me much but the feeling was mutual. One snowy day vengeance was mine 'cos I lobbed a snowball a fair old distance from the tennis courts where we played football just as he was about to cross the plateau from the Cromwell building.

The Gods were looking down on me that day 'cos the snowball hit him directly on the back of his neck, so down on his *ss he went scattering the books he had under his arm as he fell.

Now I know how David must have felt when he took aim at Goliath!

Various teachers for History........Mr Scull, Katie Jones (always knew she was on her way down the corridor 'cos of the sound of her stilettos, or in her case steelettos). Tony Robbo and Bill Green.

Maths, aforementioned Jock Bentley, Mr Sutcliffe (on hearing he laterly became a prison warder I think he thought that was his job at school).
Mr Owen (Piggy Owen) was the best Maths teacher ever but left and went to Bacup I believe, which was a shame as everybody's grades went up with him, even thickos like me.

A funny story from this - my mum went up to parents evening in the early seventies and I told her there were two Mr Owen's, one who we called Piggy and the other called Winky as he had a tic. On returning from the evening my mum told me at fist she thought one of the teachers had made a pass at her and then she remembered what I'd said about old Winky Owen!

Music, Mr Dennison.

Art, Mr Williamson and then Mrs Ormerod, who said I'd never get an O level in Art but did just to spite her.

P.E. Sam Leach and Keith Windle.

Metalwork Mr Teale and woodwork Mr Scott.

Biology Mrs Cook and a few others who's names I can't remember.

Other teachers I had in passing were Mr and Mrs Roberts who was thought of as a carpet muncher with Miss Tomlinson .

Granny Gudgeon, Ralph Bailey, Pinky White, Mr Strivens,Ma Scull, Jungle Jim Bolton (whose shirt was always hanging out of his lap).Kenny Marsden - 'I will punish you severely, twenty-five lines!'

Frau Sandham for German, who once cracked me across the face for looking down out of the first floor window at all the lasses in their netball gear rather than listen to her droning on. I mean, what's a guy supposed to do when the testosterone levels are up during Summer? .
Oldschoolthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 15:22   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolthai View Post
Ah yes, Jock..............quite a character.

He loved smacking lads round the back of the head during Maths with his specs case. Would be done for assault now. He also took people to Accrington baths (probably would have drowned some if he could- although he himself never got in the water).

Made me chuckle when some lads had notes from their mothers in an attempt to excuse them from swimming, saying poor little Jimmy had a bad cold. Jock would have none of it and said getting in the water was good for colds and if they hadn't brought their trunks don't worry as he'd have brought some spare...lol.

Other teachers were Psycho Sims for Chemistry (used to do a weird kind of belch when you weren't ready for it). I assume that's why he got his nickname.

Tufty Smith for Physics nicknamed 'cos a lock of hair was always prevalent adjacent to his head. Many lads didn't like him but he was always ok with me as one day four of us were shouting 'Tufty' as well as a few other choice expletives as he was walking ahead of us. He turned and called each of us to be summoned to the Psychics lab one Friday morning. Only myself and another lad turned up, the other two thinking he'd forget who he'd asked to be there.

He did indeed forget who it was but not the number of us. He threatened myself and the other lad with the training shoe and he took great delight in showing it to us. He told us he'd go out of the room for a few minutes and on his return if we didn't say who the other two guys were we'd get six of the best. The other lad bottled it and told him who wasn't present and from that day forward I always got Tufty's respect.

Initially Vera Wallwork for English and laterly Mr Walmsley (Who wouldn't have given you a 10 even if you were a budding poet laureate) and finally Mrs O'Brien.

Ma Smith for French - She used to hide behind the classroom door after threatening to go and get the head .

Baggy Shaw for Latin - God she had a monotonous tone...........should have recorded something for insomniacs IMO.

Miss Melody for Geography............she used to say somethin and everythin, never added the 'G'. Lovely old dear though. I once fell asleep during one of her slide shows and she was kind enough to ask if I'd slept well when the bell went.

Also had Mr Fletcher for Geography who once remarked that he didn't think I had a geographical fact in my brain. Don't think he liked me much but the feeling was mutual. One snowy day vengeance was mine 'cos I lobbed a snowball a fair old distance from the tennis courts where we played football just as he was about to cross the plateau from the Cromwell building.

The Gods were looking down on me that day 'cos the snowball hit him directly on the back of his neck, so down on his *ss he went scattering the books he had under his arm as he fell.

Now I know how David must have felt when he took aim at Goliath!

Various teachers for History........Mr Scull, Katie Jones (always knew she was on her way down the corridor 'cos of the sound of her stilettos, or in her case steelettos). Tony Robbo and Bill Green.

Maths, aforementioned Jock Bentley, Mr Sutcliffe (on hearing he laterly became a prison warder I think he thought that was his job at school).
Mr Owen (Piggy Owen) was the best Maths teacher ever but left and went to Bacup I believe, which was a shame as everybody's grades went up with him, even thickos like me.

A funny story from this - my mum went up to parents evening in the early seventies and I told her there were two Mr Owen's, one who we called Piggy and the other called Winky as he had a tic. On returning from the evening my mum told me at fist she thought one of the teachers had made a pass at her and then she remembered what I'd said about old Winky Owen!

Music, Mr Dennison.

Art, Mr Williamson and then Mrs Ormerod, who said I'd never get an O level in Art but did just to spite her.

P.E. Sam Leach and Keith Windle.

Metalwork Mr Teale and woodwork Mr Scott.

Biology Mrs Cook and a few others who's names I can't remember.

Other teachers I had in passing were Mr and Mrs Roberts who was thought of as a carpet muncher with Miss Tomlinson .

Granny Gudgeon, Ralph Bailey, Pinky White, Mr Strivens,Ma Scull, Jungle Jim Bolton (whose shirt was always hanging out of his lap).Kenny Marsden - 'I will punish you severely, twenty-five lines!'

Frau Sandham for German, who once cracked me across the face for looking down out of the first floor window at all the lasses in their netball gear rather than listen to her droning on. I mean, what's a guy supposed to do when the testosterone levels are up during Summer? .
Agh so many memories

what year did you leave, from the names must have been around the same year as me 76
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 14:56   #357
Junior Member+

I left in '78...
Old 07-12-2008, 18:20   #358

Hmm... you were in my year, and if I was a gambling man I would guess that your surname began with a letter in the alphabet which came after Q cos a lot of the teachers you mention from AGS taught 1S I think
Old 08-12-2008, 00:05   #359
Junior Member+

Hmmm.......maybe best that you're not a gambling man then.
Old 08-01-2009, 13:41   #360
Junior Member+

I remember Mr Wells was my Tech Drawing and Metalwork teacher around 85-86 but we never really got on although he was a good teacher.

What was the History teacher called who was thinning on top and had a thing about UKSUBS and early punk, we used to get him talking about it and the lesson soon finnished.

Also Jim Bowen was my dads teacher at Hyndburn Park when he was a kid.

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..