Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 15:56   #1
Senior Member+

Myers Family Research

A friend of mine is keen to learn about the Myers family.In the middle of the last century, Richard was a rope-maker in Blackburn Rd. He had married a Miss Broadley. In 1901 they lived at 190/21 Sultan St ( a big family needed 2 hiouses). Frank and John were killed in WW1. They had brothers, so there may be descendants living locally. There was a Myers famiuly haulage business in the town centre towards the end of the last century.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-06-2011, 20:19   #2

Re: Myers Family Research

Would this be Richard Henry Myers ? I see from ancestry that there
are some family trees there - would these be your friend's own trees ?
I happen to be researching Oliver Myers - but born Wigan 1821.
Rootschat can also be helpful.
regards
Maria m
Mariam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 20:21   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
A friend of mine is keen to learn about the Myers family.In the middle of the last century, Richard was a rope-maker in Blackburn Rd. He had married a Miss Broadley. In 1901 they lived at 190/21 Sultan St ( a big family needed 2 hiouses). Frank and John were killed in WW1. They had brothers, so there may be descendants living locally. There was a Myers famiuly haulage business in the town centre towards the end of the last century.
Frank & John were k.i.a. Richard survived, then there were Robert k.i.a, & Thomas who lived in Ossy. theres was also a John Thomas who lived in Church.
In 1901 the family were living in Robert St, Acc.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 10-06-2011 at 20:29. Reason: ading
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 20:38   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
The family who lost two sons in WW1, lived in 19/21 Turkey St, Acc, in the 1901 census, the father John Broadley Myers, was employed at the Post Office.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 10-06-2011 at 20:40.
Old 20-06-2011, 17:46   #5

1911 census at same address shows parents with 10 Children

Last edited by accybill; 20-06-2011 at 17:50.
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 17:51   #6

1911 census at same address shows parents with 10 Children
Old 20-06-2011, 18:42   #7
Senior Member+

Ten children ? Clearly, despite working at the Post Office, he was not familiar with French letters.
jelly baby likes this.
Old 20-06-2011, 19:04   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Ten children ? Clearly, despite working at the Post Office, he was not familiar with French letters.
Probably was, but as with most things French if it doesn't suit, they go on strike & cause maximum problems & inconvenience.
Old 28-06-2011, 22:53   #9

1891 Census @ 1 Foster Street, Accrington
Name Age DOB Occupation Birthplace
MYERS, John B Head 27 1854 Sorting Clerk Post Office (Csm)Accrington
MYERS, Mary Ellen Wife 26 1855 Cotton Warper (Unemployed)Bacup

1891 Census @ 2 Foster Street, Accrington
MYERS, John B Head 37 1854 Post Office Clerk Accrington
MYERS, Mary E Wife 36 1855 Bacup
MYERS, Alice Daughter 9 1882 Scholar Accrington
MYERS, Mary M Daughter 7 1884 Scholar Accrington
MYERS, Frank Son 6 1885 Scholar Accrington
MYERS, Arthur Son 5 1886 Scholar Accrington
MYERS, Daisy Daughter 3 1888 Accrington
MYERS, Richard Son 2 1889 Accrington
MYERS, William Son 2 1889 Accrington
MYERS, Annie Daughter 0(3mths) 1891 Accrington

1901 Census @ 19 and 21 Turkey St Accrington
MYERS, John Broadley Head 47 1854 Post Office Clerk Accrington
MYERS, Mary Ellen Wife 46 1855 Bacup
MYERS, Alice Daughter 19 1882 Cotton Weaver Accrington
MYERS, Mary Maud Daughter 17 1884 Dress Maker Accrington
MYERS, Frank Son 16 1885 Clerk/ Mechanical Eng Office Accrington
MYERS, Arthur Son 15 1886 Clerk/ Mechanical Eng Office Accrington
MYERS, Daisy Daughter 13 1888 House Maid Accrington
MYERS, Richard Son 12 1889 Accrington
MYERS, William Son 12 1889 Accrington
MYERS, Annie Daughter 10 1891 Accrington
MYERS, Bertha Daughter 7 1894 Accrington
MYERS, John Son 5 1896 Accrington

1911 Census @ 19 and 21 Turkey St Accrington
MYERS, John Broadley Head 57 1854 Post Office Overs Accrington
MYERS, Mary Ellen Wife 56 1855 Bacup
MYERS, Alice Daughter 29 1882 Cotton Weaver Accrington
MYERS, May Maud Daughter 27 1884 Accrington
MYERS, Frank Son 26 1885 Cotton Warehouse Clerk Accrington
MYERS, Arthur Son 25 1886 Sorting Clerk and Telegraphist Accrington
MYERS, Daisy Daughter 23 1888 Cotton Weaver Accrington
MYERS, Richard Son 22 1889 Labourer at a Print Works Accrington
MYERS, William Son 22 1889 Labourer at a Print Works Accrington
MYERS, Annie Daughter 20 1891 Cotton Winder Accrington
MYERS, Bertha Daughter 17 1894 Cotton Winder Accrington
MYERS, John Son 15 1896 Grocers Assistant Accrington

Last edited by accybill; 28-06-2011 at 22:57.
Old 29-06-2011, 07:59   #10
Senior Member+

Thanks for this Bill. I suspect that the first entry should read 1881. Interesting that they seem to have moved across the street from 1 to 2 before having need of two houses to hold their brood. I am reminded of a poem by Doris Snape of Gt Harwood about a couple with ten childer. She hopes he will stop before they have their own football team. "It's now getten to state as we don't need to mate/ Al I need do his wash his socks/ Aye, mi chastity belt is needing new locks"

I will bring this to my pal's attention. ( I hesitate from using the word 'mate' again)
Old 29-06-2011, 17:56   #11

Yup should read 1881, but cannot appear to be able to edit.
Also would have preferred to put the data in grid/table format, but it will not allow me to do so.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:25   #12

Bob
Just discovered your interest in the Myers family on accyweb. I take it you know there is a connection to my gt.gt grandfather John Broadley who I have an interest in.
Richard Myers from Clitheroe married John Broadley's eldest child Alice in 1850, sadly she died in 1867 and Richard later in the same year remarried a lady called Alice Haworth.
The 1851 Census shows Alice nee Broadley and Richard living in Accrington and records show that they had a son John Broadley Myers about 1854 and as you probably know he married a lady whose first names were Mary Ellen and they had 10 children. When John died in 1914 he left effects valued at £2,629 3s - not bad for those days.
Mention wa made on the Acci website of the two of his sons who died during WW1 and as it happens I am planning in September to visit their graveyards in Thiepval and Pozieres which are only 2 miles apart!
This is whilst we are on holiday in the nearby Seine maritime Region of Normandy.

regards

Peter Hanley
Peter Hanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 13:21   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hanley View Post
Bob
Just discovered your interest in the Myers family on accyweb. I take it you know there is a connection to my gt.gt grandfather John Broadley who I have an interest in.
Richard Myers from Clitheroe married John Broadley's eldest child Alice in 1850, sadly she died in 1867 and Richard later in the same year remarried a lady called Alice Haworth.
The 1851 Census shows Alice nee Broadley and Richard living in Accrington and records show that they had a son John Broadley Myers about 1854 and as you probably know he married a lady whose first names were Mary Ellen and they had 10 children. When John died in 1914 he left effects valued at £2,629 3s - not bad for those days.
Mention wa made on the Acci website of the two of his sons who died during WW1 and as it happens I am planning in September to visit their graveyards in Thiepval and Pozieres which are only 2 miles apart!
This is whilst we are on holiday in the nearby Seine maritime Region of Normandy.

regards

Peter Hanley
Frank was serving with the 11th East Lancs, he was one of 20 men on a night patrol, led by 2/Lt Wild on the night of 7/8 March 1917, casualties 2/Lt Wild and 3 others missing. Wild was taken prisoner, the bodies of the three men were never found. His name is on the Thiepval Memorial.
John was serving in the 2/5th East Lancs, with a light trench mortar battery, he was posted as missing in action, assumed dead March 21st 1918.
His name is on the Pozieres Memorial.

Retlaw.
Old 10-08-2011, 15:18   #14

Bob, Was there not a Vance Myers at the grammar school during the 1950s? He may have lived on Burnley Road, past Huncoat and towards Hapton.

Quote:
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 15:34   #15
Senior Member+

I'll have a looksee.I have recently got the names of most lads who joined the Grammar School 1950-72

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..