Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2014, 19:39   #1

Mystery Soldier

Some photos belonging to my late father recently surfaced after being lost for 15 years. One of them is of a soldier, WW1 I believe, seated for a portrait and also mounted. The photographer according to the back of the postcard is F.D. Shackley, Bamber Bridge, Nr. Preston. I have no idea who this man is, (although he must be related to my father in some way) and there is no one left alive who would know. All I can do is play detective, and ask for advice from those more knowledgeable than me. My father's family come from Salford, Stockport, or Tring areas. I know this isn't Accrington related, but I know there are one or two Accy Web members who are very well versed in WW1.

I looked up WW1 cap badges on the web, and think it might be the Cheshire regiment. Can anyone help me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1 Soldier portrait.jpg (100.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg WW1 Soldier Mounted.jpg (84.3 KB, 35 views)
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2014, 22:21   #2
God Member

Re: Mystery Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Some photos belonging to my late father recently surfaced after being lost for 15 years. One of them is of a soldier, WW1 I believe, seated for a portrait and also mounted. The photographer according to the back of the postcard is F.D. Shackley, Bamber Bridge, Nr. Preston. I have no idea who this man is, (although he must be related to my father in some way) and there is no one left alive who would know. All I can do is play detective, and ask for advice from those more knowledgeable than me. My father's family come from Salford, Stockport, or Tring areas. I know this isn't Accrington related, but I know there are one or two Accy Web members who are very well versed in WW1.

I looked up WW1 cap badges on the web, and think it might be the Cheshire regiment. Can anyone help me?
Try Retlaw ... give him a PM ...
Turtle likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 05:10   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

It appears to be 2 different people, the first because of the star shape could well be the Cheshires, what does the shoulder flash say? The second because of the size & shape resembles an RA cap badge. Stil,l as Eric says try Retlaw as WWI is his speciality.
Old 30-09-2014, 06:09   #4
Senior Member+

Mystery Soldier

"ASC" on his shoulder DiG
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 11:34   #5

Thank you Eric - I had thought of sending a PM to Retlaw, but didn't seem to be able to send him the photos that way. Hopefully he'll see them this way.

DiG - yes, I see what you mean - there may be two people here. Ah, the mystery deepens!

GPick: yes, that is 'ASC' on his shoulder. Is that Army Service Corps? One website suggested that this refers to someone who drove horses pulling equipment rather than cavalry.
Old 30-09-2014, 12:04   #6
Beacon of light

Quote:
Thank you Eric - I had thought of sending a PM to Retlaw, but didn't seem to be able to send him the photos that way. Hopefully he'll see them this way.
I don't think there is a way to send pictures in a PM.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 12:47   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I cant send pics anyway at all, Techno useless.
Old 30-09-2014, 13:17   #8
God Member

Quote:
Is that Army Service Corps?
No ... it's Ally Sloper's Cavalry
accypete and Turtle like this.
Old 30-09-2014, 13:25   #9
God Member

And just in case anyone is interested in stories about identifying those who fought in the First World War, here's an aside:

WWI Canadian soldiers' remains identified - Canada - CBC News
Turtle likes this.
Old 30-09-2014, 15:37   #10
I am Banned

Quote:

Don't know who he is, but his cap badge looks like Scots Guards, His shoulder tab looks like R.S.G.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 16:14   #11

Thank you Retlaw! And all those who chimed in.
I'll enjoy following these leads.
Old 30-09-2014, 18:14   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

If it is ASC (Army Service Corp) forerunners of the RASC - RCT - RLC, you're looking at cart 'osses, general transport & logistic support. Not exactly glamorous but most definitely essential to keep the 'Eroes fed watered & stocked with ammunition. As to the other fella on the 'Oss, looks like a gun bunny cap badge & the white lanyard.
Turtle likes this.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 30-09-2014 at 18:20.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 18:30   #13
Senior Member+

Don`t you lot know how to zoom in on a pic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1 Soldier portrai2t.jpg (69.0 KB, 25 views)
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 30-09-2014, 18:40   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Don`t you lot know how to zoom in on a pic?
Alright smartarse! I used the on site one & it only let me enlarge it once, so while you're at it, have a skeg at the cap badge if you'd be so good & pop that up.
gpick24 likes this.
Old 30-09-2014, 18:55   #15
Senior Member+

Not much detail on the cap badges especially the mounted one, to zoom in on pics, click on attached thumbnail, then click on the pic to open it in a new tab (or right click and click "open link in new tab"), hold down ctrl button and tap + to zoom in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1 Soldier portraitbadge1.jpg (56.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg WW1 Soldier Mountedbadge.jpg (42.2 KB, 16 views)
DaveinGermany likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..