Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2016, 17:17   #1

Hi there. This is Anne and I live in East Yorkshire. My mother was from Ossy and worked at the aircraft factory up to December 1941 when she married my father who also worked at the factory. Believe dad was an engineer and mum, an inspector. Just spoken to an Uncle who lives near Blackburn and was told the factory was in Clayton whereas I thought it was the Burnley area. Can anyone tell me if there are any photo's taken in or around the factory, or books written of its history I could purchase. I'm hoping to visit the area this month and would love to see where mum and dad were during the war. Any info would be most welcome and thank you. Anne.
Anne Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2016, 17:47   #2
Beacon of light

Re: new member

I think they would have worked at Bristol Aircraft, which later became English Electric the site is still there, but many of the buildings and sheds have gone. This is in Clayton le moors which is roughly half way between Blackburn and Burnley.
The site is close to the Dunkenhalgh hotel.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 18:32   #3
Senior Member+

This is the site today Anne, taken from Google maps.
The motorway exit number 7 M62 crosses the Blackburn road straight into the site.
Various business are housed there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jns7.jpg (170.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-10-2016, 19:32   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
This is the site today Anne, taken from Google maps.

The motorway exit number 7 M62 crosses the Blackburn road....

M65
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 20:03   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
M65
Correct Gpick. I've used the M62 so much lately it's on my brain.
I use J7 M65 a few times a week as well.
I must lay of the Glayva when I type.
gpick24 likes this.
Old 06-10-2016, 20:03   #6
Senior Member+

Welcome to the forum Anne,I'm sure you'll be inundated with info,I hope you find what your looking for (try the search bar if you haven't already) ....

....can I remind folk this is the intro section

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 06-10-2016 at 20:05.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 20:39   #7
Beacon of light

we Know Jason.....maybe it will get moved to questions and answers and then we won't be in the do-do
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 22:44   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Jagger View Post
Hi there. This is Anne and I live in East Yorkshire. My mother was from Ossy and worked at the aircraft factory up to December 1941 when she married my father who also worked at the factory. Believe dad was an engineer and mum, an inspector. Just spoken to an Uncle who lives near Blackburn and was told the factory was in Clayton whereas I thought it was the Burnley area. Can anyone tell me if there are any photo's taken in or around the factory, or books written of its history I could purchase. I'm hoping to visit the area this month and would love to see where mum and dad were during the war. Any info would be most welcome and thank you. Anne.
Hi Anne.
My Father started at Bristol in 1939 just after the factory was opened, he was a machine setter, the factory produced Bristol Radial Engines, I doubt you will find many photos, it was a Government Factory, cameras were not allowed, I remember father telling me of an accident, and a draughtsnmn had to make drawings
of it, again cameras were'nt allowed. They did have an open day towards the end of the war when relatives of the workers were given guided tours. It was such a big place I don't remember much of it. I did work there myself for a short time in 1952 when it was English Electric. There is a museum in Scotland that has several Bristol Radial Engines, some of them are cut aways to show the workings, can't remember now just where abouts the museum was
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:00   #9
Senior Member+

Welcome to the nuthouse
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:58   #10
Senior Member+

There has been a book about Lancashire airfields but none about the aircraft industry so far as I am aware. A man called John Shorrocks has just written a book about the Preston firm of Dick, Kerr & Co I will be seeing him soon and will ask if he is aware of any Bristol material. He is now researching English Electric. My dad worked there and called it English Elastic. On the site now is an organisation which acts as an umbrella for all aircraft firms in North West. Maybe you should call on them.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:20   #11
God Member

Here's an article from the Lanashire Telegraph about the proposed development of the former Bristol/English Electric site, There's a photo which will give you an idea of the size of the site.

Former factory off the M65 to be transformed into industrial and commercial park - creating 500 jobs (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:50   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Welcome to the forum, hope yeh find the info yer after.
Old 08-10-2016, 17:27   #13
God Member

Hi hon ... welcome/bienvenue to AccyWeb international. English Electric was most definitely in Clayton. My dad worked there in the 50s, and we lived on Rishton Rd. right at the bottom of Charles St. I remember all the workers with their bait boxes coming down the street at knocking off time. Good luck with your quest.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 19:26   #14

welcome
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 21:07   #15

Welcome to Accy Web
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..