Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2008, 11:46   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Paddock House-old Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sorry for answering on her behalf but yes, they live in London but come up to their house in Ossy at least once a month.
Think if I'm right it ain't to far away from you Rindi
Old 26-06-2009, 03:48   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
I Knew a lass called Meg Kenny who went to paddock house and left about 75/76.Anyone know her whereabouts?
This is Meg Kenny. I'm in Maryland, USA. Who is this??

Last edited by megkenny; 26-06-2009 at 03:50.
megkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 13:26   #33

I went to st marys in ossy and was great friends with a girl called Frances Walmsley? I went on to Holy Family, she went to Paddock House.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 13:48   #34

I went to Paddock as well but can't remember Fran Walmaley.. What years are we talking about?
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 12:10   #35

would have been around 58/59. I think the spelling would have been walmsley?.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 12:54   #36

Sorry the letter 'S' has worn off my keyboard so I keep making mistakes!Frances was probably older than me because I was in the Juniors at that time.
Sorry can't help
Old 16-08-2009, 12:59   #37

Just seen your pic for the first time and I'm sure I remember you. Are you willing to be a friend and reveal your true identity or do I have to bribe some of the others? to find out who you are.
Old 16-08-2009, 13:00   #38

That last message re pic.was intended for JAYSAY (when will I ever learn how to move about on this site?!!)
Old 01-09-2009, 05:00   #39
Junior Member+

I went to Paddock in 1950. My name is Anne McDermott. I remember St. Mary Philip, Sister Mary Anthony,St. Mary Albe (latin) Miss Graham(french) Miss Howe (history) and many others. I loved that school and was sorry when I had to leave in 1954 when my parents moved to Liverpool. I remember a lot of the girls names that I started there with. I came from St Augustines in Burnley. Does anyone remember me!!!
annemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 22:09   #40
Passed away 25-11-09

You left the year I started there, Anne. I remember all the teachers you mentioned, especially Sr Mary Aisleby who used to spit when she got angry, called the latin primer a "primmer" and called Maoris "Marys". Despite her, I got a very good education at Paddock House.
Old 02-09-2009, 17:59   #41
Junior Member+

Most probably when you started there, some of the girls in my class would be in the 6th. form. The education was first class and although it was strict rules, which I think some could be applied today, we survived. I initiated the re-union in 2002 but could not attend but then it was made up of younger ones who did not seem to have much time for us older "ladies" Already the different ideas were implemented. I left just as the new school was built o I went to classes in the old wooden building which dring the war was an army hospital. I now live in Texas USA and have been in the States for 46 years.
Old 02-09-2009, 19:52   #42
Passed away 25-11-09

I had my first 6 months in the wooden buildings before the new school was finished. They had been a hospital in WW1, not the 2nd war, and the school had opened in the early 1920s. My mother was one of the first pupils to go there.

Yes, discipline was strict but there was never any physical punishment. Some of the nuns could make a girl quake in her socks just by a look.
Old 05-09-2009, 15:24   #43
Junior Member+

I bet you remember the Pollard girls from Burnley. Sister Mary Anthony was head whilst you were there and she was a real tartar. Supposedly she was a Lady Something or other. I remember the prize giving day every year. We had to put on a Gilbert and Sullivan Opera. The Coronation year was the "Yeomen of the Guard. What is your name? You can e-mail me if you want at [email protected]
Old 05-09-2009, 18:17   #44
Passed away 25-11-09

Oh I don't mind giving you my name, I was Cathie Sleddon. Yes, the name Pollard is very familiar, I think there was a Mary Pollard in my form.

Sr Mary Anthony retired as head when I was in form 2 but she still taught the odd lesson. Mother Mary Magdalene took over from her and she was ten times more tyrannical.

Did you know Barbara Noblett and Angela Clegg?
Old 05-09-2009, 19:15   #45
Junior Member+

I can't say I remember your name but I do remember Barbara Noblett. Did she have red hair? Also Angela Clegg rings a bell but they may have been younger than I was.. There were at leas 4 Pollard girls who went to Paddock, starting with Joan who emigrated to Australia. Helen who I think died very young and Mary who was 2 years younger than I.
Their brother Anthony was in my class n Burnley. There were 10 kids in the family. You may remember Margaret Rushton and Eileen Clarke. Don't know where they are now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..