Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 21:11   #46
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Paddock House-old Friends

Barbara had fair hair and so did Angela. Barbara went to Paddock House Junior School, before the grammar, but I knew her well as she lived near me. I knew Angela because her parents were friends of one of my uncles. I can't think of anyone else we might mutually know.
Accrington Web
Old 06-09-2009, 17:44   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Oh I don't mind giving you my name, I was Cathie Sleddon. Yes, the name Pollard is very familiar, I think there was a Mary Pollard in my form.

Sr Mary Anthony retired as head when I was in form 2 but she still taught the odd lesson. Mother Mary Magdalene took over from her and she was ten times more tyrannical.

Did you know Barbara Noblett and Angela Clegg?
Just a slight wonder West Ender, but I occasionally get a letter from a nun that taught at paddock, she became friends with my mother when nuns used to take communion to the sick before lay members started doing it, I wrote to tell her when my father died 5 years ago and she sent me a lovely mass card, she now lives in Rome in the Vatican, been trying to remember her name but it elude me at the moment, I have the name written down somewhere
Old 06-09-2009, 17:57   #48
Passed away 25-11-09

Let me know if you find it, Jaysay. I may have known her but most of the ones who taught when I was there are probably dead now.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:15   #49
Resting in Peace

Still looking can't for the life in me remember where the Address is
Old 07-09-2009, 13:17   #50
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Paddock House-old Friends

Jaysay, most probably the nuns who were there when I went would have passed on by now as I will be 70 tomorrow. I do remember Sr. MAry Loyola as her sister or neice boarded there from Ireland. We used to feel sorry for them having to live with the nuns all the time. They did keep to themselves.
annemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 16:24   #51
God Member

I remember Sr Mary Loyola, Sister Mary Gertrude, Sister Mary Magdalen and Sister Margaret Mary - she came whilst I was there and I think she was the last nun to join the school. There were some others still there at the time but I don't think they taught.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:12   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne mc View Post
Jaysay, most probably the nuns who were there when I went would have passed on by now as I will be 70 tomorrow. I do remember Sr. MAry Loyola as her sister or niece boarded there from Ireland. We used to feel sorry for them having to live with the nuns all the time. They did keep to themselves.
The nun was called Sister Mary Gertrude, I can remember meeting her once, she was a lovely serene person, but I think all nuns are like that
Old 08-09-2009, 22:58   #53
Passed away 25-11-09

I didn't know her, Jaysay. She was probably after my time.

You shouldn't believe all nuns are serene. A nun in a temper is a sight to behold!

Last edited by West Ender; 08-09-2009 at 23:01.
West Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 23:30   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The nun was called Sister Mary Gertrude, I can remember meeting her once, she was a lovely serene person, but I think all nuns are like that
they sure aint mate, me mam was brought up in a convent n used to tell me some tales.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:13   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
they sure aint mate, me mam was brought up in a convent n used to tell me some tales.
They were always nice to me cashy
Old 10-09-2009, 16:41   #56

Cashman is right, there are some tales to tell.
My mum wasn't a catholic and was I made to pay for it by some of the nuns.
One in particular who taught Latin (can't remember her name) was really awful, she was always getting the class to pray for the "unfortunates" who had a non catholic parent (guess who!!) and if anything bad happened in class, it was always my fault.
D
I know I sound like a whining kid ( Cashman how do you say whining in dialect?) but believe me it left me with a lot of complexes.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 17:32   #57
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Cashman is right, there are some tales to tell.
My mum wasn't a catholic and was I made to pay for it by some of the nuns.
One in particular who taught Latin (can't remember her name) was really awful, she was always getting the class to pray for the "unfortunates" who had a non catholic parent (guess who!!) and if anything bad happened in class, it was always my fault.
D
I know I sound like a whining kid ( Cashman how do you say whining in dialect?) but believe me it left me with a lot of complexes.

Which school were you at? Paddock House, in the 50s, never seemed to mind my atheist father and there were quite a number of children in the Junior School who were not catholics.
Old 11-09-2009, 13:32   #58

I was in the Junior and then Grammar from 1951 to about 1964
But you didn't need to wite 'atheist' on the forms to be filled in when registering new kids
whereas you had to for your religion (My mum was an atheist too! pity she was too honest!)
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 21:20   #59

I remember Sister Mary Gertrude (can't remember her subject), also Mary Loyola, who, if memory serves, was the librarian. Mary Phillip (my form tutor) was Geography and pastoral care.

Jelly Baby

Last edited by jelly baby; 11-09-2009 at 21:22.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 21:23   #60
God Member

I think Sister Mary Magdalen was the librarian, wasn't she? She was fairly ancient when I was there.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..