Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 22:40   #61
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Paddock House-old Friends

Was Sr Mary Magdalene the same person I knew as Mother Mary Magdalene who was head mistress? She was very tall and always looked down her nose at everyone. If she was the same person, I wonder why she was demoted?

I can see Mary Loyola being a librarian as she taught English, Language and Literature, and Mary Philip taught Maths when I was there. What was pastoral care? It didn't exist in my day.
Accrington Web
Old 13-09-2009, 11:46   #62

Str M Magdalen wasn't demoted, although she was head of the school she wasn't Mother of the convent. She corrected me many times for referring to her as 'Mother', I suppose pastoral care would be called counselling today. If you had any problems at home or school she would offer advice.

Jelly Baby

Last edited by jelly baby; 13-09-2009 at 11:50.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 11:48   #63
God Member

I don't think it was demotion, I just think she retired by the time I got there and Str Mary Gertrude was head mistress.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 20:52   #64
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
Str M Magdalen wasn't demoted, although she was head of the school she wasn't Mother of the convent. She corrected me many times for referring to her as 'Mother', I suppose pastoral care would be called counselling today. If you had any problems at home or school she would offer advice.

I can assure you she was Mother Mary Magdalen up to when I left in 1959, if it's the same person. She was addressed as Mother by the other nuns as well as we pupils.
Old 15-09-2009, 15:42   #65
Junior Member+

Whilst I was there Sr. Mary Anthony was in charge. Gd hep anyone who crossed her. Aso Sr. Mary Phillip always seemed to take the First Form and taught Maths and Science. I think she was the one you could go to for any help. Sr. mary Loyola was kinda shy. I think Sr. Mary Albe(latin) was past it. I still very fondly remember my days there and enjoyed school there much more than when I went to Notre Dame in Liverpool. Course according to the Notre Dame girls, I was a country lass.
annemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 20:29   #66

HELP, I can't remember the motto on our blazers, was it
SEMPRE ET UBIQUE IDEM EST or am I making a big mistake (I was useless at Latin because - this is the truth - !!) I had two awful teachers.(if anyone wants to know who, get in touch!!)
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 20:51   #67
Passed away 25-11-09

Semper et Ubique Idem (no Est) - Always and Everywhere the Same.

If you had Sr Mary Aisleby for Latin, like I did, you would learn more on your own than she taught you. She retired when I was in Form 4 (she must have been about 80) and we got a rather weird lay teacher, whose name escapes me, who was very clever but couldn't teach.
Old 16-09-2009, 20:52   #68
God Member

Not sure it had the EST on the end - but then again, I was rubbish at Latin too.

Can only remember

Mi toe, mi tis, mi tit, mi timus, mi tittis, mi tunt

Probably spelt wrong, and can't remember what it means, but used to make me laugh

Old 16-09-2009, 23:53   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Not sure it had the EST on the end - but then again, I was rubbish at Latin too.

Can only remember

Mi toe, mi tis, mi tit, mi timus, mi tittis, mi tunt

Probably spelt wrong, and can't remember what it means, but used to make me laugh
understandable cos thats just cracked me up.
Old 17-09-2009, 09:03   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
understandable cos thats just cracked me up.
And me to cashy, come on Gayle bet you know what it really means
Old 17-09-2009, 10:16   #71
God Member

I've no idea, I can't remember. I'm sure it's something really boring though or else they wouldn't have been teaching it to 12 year old catholic girls.

Old 17-09-2009, 15:09   #72

Gayle I think it was spelt Mitto etc.... and I think it's a verb that means 'To send'
The one that used to make us blush was 'Dico, dicis dicit etc.. etc.... Can't write the third person plural on a forum like this but it ended with the same sound as your 'Mittunt'!!!!!
Do you remember?
I had Mrs. Merrick (120 years old I think and she fell asleep during my very first lesson!! and then the hateful Sister Mary Pascal
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 16:27   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Gayle I think it was spelt Mitto etc.... and I think it's a verb that means 'To send'
The one that used to make us blush was 'Dico, dicis dicit etc.. etc.... Can't write the third person plural on a forum like this but it ended with the same sound as your 'Mittunt'!!!!!
Do you remember?
I had Mrs. Merrick (120 years old I think and she fell asleep during my very first lesson!! and then the hateful Sister Mary Pascal
I don't remember Sister Mary Pascall. I can't remember who taught Latin, but I seem to recall it was a man. Not sure though, I think I've tried to block it all out.

Old 19-09-2009, 17:37   #74
Junior Member+

When did Paddock go co-ed?
annemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 07:52   #75
God Member

I moved into 3rd year when they merged with Holy Family and boys joined the 1st year. - so that was about 1976. Anyone who had joined it as Paddock House carried on as Paddock House until sixth form but anyone who joined it in 1976 was at Mount Carmel.

I never once felt as though I was at a co-ed school, I was always at Paddock House.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..