Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2004, 14:10   #1
Junior Member+

Smile Paddock House-old Friends

Hi, I used to go to Paddock House up to 1972. My name is Gerry Killian and we lived in Willows Lane, Fern Gore. We emigrated to Australia in 1972 and I would love to hear from anyone I knew back then. I was 14 when we left,am now 46. Loved to play over in Bullough Park. My brothers and sisters are Theresa, Jimmy, Marie, Moira, Joseph and Frances. I have never been back to England but would love to hear from anyone I used to know. My son is living in Accrington at the moment.
ianlaycock likes this.
Old 13-06-2004, 15:12   #2
Member.

Re: Paddock House-old Friends

Hi Gerry,

My names Malcolm Alan Douglas. I lived on Miller Fold and went to Green Howarth.

I'm 44

Ring any bells... taking in to acount that Willows lane is a long one. Where abouts where you.

Doug

:engsmil:

Last edited by Doug; 22-07-2004 at 22:53.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2004, 15:45   #3
Junior Member+

I think the number was about 209 opposite the park
Old 22-09-2004, 16:27   #4
Junior Member+

Hi Gerry, I know your sister Theresa. I remember her from St Oswalds. We were best friends for a while but she was moved up a class from J1 to J3 because she was one of the oldest in the class.
Have often wondered how she was.
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2004, 15:17   #5
Resting in peace

I was at Paddock, but since I am a lot older than you, neither of us would know the other! I left in 1963, to go to board near Manchester, with Mary Mag's cousin as headmistress. Would you believe that Mary Mag wasn't the toughest member of the family!! I am sure we would know most of the same teachers. Went to a reunion a couple of years ago, in Rishton - not a very big room, and about 350 women who hadn't seen one another for years - the decibel level was about the same as the main runway at Heathrow! Saw Mary Bailey, who looks terrific. I said how young she looked, her answer - I've lived in the same house all my life and never married. Why should I look old! Miss Graham and Miss Nelson were there - Miss Nelson went a bit white when she saw me - old memories die hard. It was great fun, and I'll let you know about the next one, even if you can't get over, you can send a message/photo to your old school friends.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 19:06   #6

Smile Re: Paddock House-old Friends

Hi i used to go to st oswalds with a Ann Marie Killian could this be your sister..
Old 18-10-2004, 09:13   #7
Junior Member+

Theresa and Ann Marie (Marie) are both my sisters. Theresa has been happily married for about 25yrs with one daughter and has a very successful position in government. Marie is also happily married ( about 15yrs I think) with 3 children. She is also successful as a mortgage broker. They will both be very happy that I have had contact with some of their old school friends
Old 17-02-2005, 22:21   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

I just picked up on this thread, being new to the website, so I'm reviving it.

I was at Paddock from 1954 to 1959. I remember Mary Magdalene (oh boy, do I remember her) and Miss Graeme who liked me because French was my best subject. I don't remember a Miss Nelson though. Does anyone remember Madame Catlow the music teacher? Does anyone know why on earth she called herself Madame? How about Dotty Whitford (science). I used to meet her on Accrington station around 1960/61 when we were both saying goodbye to our respective spouses (well, mine was my fiancé at the time) who were both in the RAF.

I'm in touch with several old friends from school who I found on FriendsReunited. One of them emailed me a couple of old class photos - eeeeek!

Pendy, are you who I think you are, Angela? We've emailed in the past (courtesy of FriendsReunited).
Old 15-07-2005, 18:53   #9
God Member

I've only just found this thread, so I thought I'd update it a little.

I went to Paddock from 75 - 82, I'm 40 now. Miss Nelson was still there when I was there but she never actually taught me. I don't think I made much of an impression when I was at school and I've always avoided reunions and things like that.

It changed to being Mount Carmel whilst I was there but we carried on to sixth form as Paddock.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 21:42   #10
God Member

i know this thread is a bit old but my mum went to paddock house (i think) she would of started there in 1955/56 her name was Maralynne Mclean, she had an older sister Colleen Mclean who would of been there around 1953/54
Old 09-04-2007, 19:53   #11
Senior Member+

I Knew a lass called Meg Kenny who went to paddock house and left about 75/76.Anyone know her whereabouts?
Old 14-06-2007, 21:56   #12

Not sure if you are still checking this post Gerry, but I have only just joined the website and found it. I don't know if you would remember me, you would have known me as Lesley Kenyon. We were both in the same class at St Oswalds and at Paddock House and my sister Sandra and Moira were best of friends all through school until you all emigrated- always in trouble together!

Nice to see an name from the past.
Leyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 21:13   #13

I started in the Junior school in 1951 then on to Grammar in 1959(approx) I left in1964. I remember Mother Mary Magdelen(terrifying!) Miss Bailey& Miss Iddon (fantastic) Mrs Harrison (so kind) Sister Mary Phillip (a saint!!) and many others. However, I'd like to contact school friends who went through the same ordeal. Where are you all?
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 21:19   #14

Only just found this site, Who are you?? I left Paddock House in 1964. (ex U stream, school netball team, promising atheist at the time!!(Miss Bailey was my favourite, the only one who knew how to teach English!)
Plse contact me if you want- Susan Counsell([email protected])

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
I was at Paddock, but since I am a lot older than you, neither of us would know the other! I left in 1963, to go to board near Manchester, with Mary Mag's cousin as headmistress. Would you believe that Mary Mag wasn't the toughest member of the family!! I am sure we would know most of the same teachers. Went to a reunion a couple of years ago, in Rishton - not a very big room, and about 350 women who hadn't seen one another for years - the decibel level was about the same as the main runway at Heathrow! Saw Mary Bailey, who looks terrific. I said how young she looked, her answer - I've lived in the same house all my life and never married. Why should I look old! Miss Graham and Miss Nelson were there - Miss Nelson went a bit white when she saw me - old memories die hard. It was great fun, and I'll let you know about the next one, even if you can't get over, you can send a message/photo to your old school friends.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 21:59   #15

Trouble is Susan, not enough of our generation know about the Accyweb. Do friends reunited know about this site, but there again some people are just not interested in the past, or want to forget it, which is a shame, we all have a tale to tell.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..