Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2012, 07:11   #1

Pomfret family of Blackburn

I've had help before from you kind folks re family history researching and wonder if anyone out there can help me again. I am trying to trace the ancestors of Benjamin Pomfret of Blackburn born some time around 1810/1813. I know this is about a Blackburn family but come down the track a few years when Sarah Ann Pomfret married William Aspinall in 1858 (Blackburn) and it appears these particular descendants then moved into the Accrington/Oswaldtwistle area so hope my request is acceptable to Acc'y Web. The Benjamin I am interested in married Ellen (nee Haworth) previously Shutt (her first marriage) at St. Mary's, Blackburn in 1833.

I know who their children were but who was his ma and pa? (Hers also, if known). Forever grateful for any help.

Best wishes to all.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2012, 09:53   #2
Full Member+

Re: Pomfret family of Blackburn

This is a long shot but there were Tommy and Agnas Pomfret that lived in Blackburn on Rothesay Road ( next door to my parents and little me ) they had a son Jim and a daughter Linda . Linda can be found on friends reunited , if this is the same family Linda may be able to shed some light. Hope this can be of help.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 11:02   #3

A search on the Internet found a Family Tree with a Benjamin Pomfret 1815-1880 married to
Ellen Haworth, Link Our Family Tree.:Information about Benjamin Pomfret
Hope this might help.
Acstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:15   #4
Senior Member+

Another really long shot. But my French teacher was called Mrs Pomfret.

Witton Park High School, Blackburn.

I Think she retired just after I left in 1985.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:28   #5
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acstan View Post
A search on the Internet found a Family Tree with a Benjamin Pomfret 1815-1880 married to
Ellen Haworth, Link Our Family Tree.:Information about Benjamin Pomfret
Hope this might help.
Looks like you struck gold there Acstan. And it gives parents for both of them. Well done, Dotti should be well pleased.
Old 31-07-2012, 17:10   #6
Give, give, give member

We've got some poems by a local poet called Joan Pomfret, who's also featured in the book of poems, An Accrington Miscellany.

Probably unconnected, though it's an unusual name, so she might be a descendent.

Here's one of her dialect poems, T' Mothers' Meetin'.

LD Poems T? Mothers? Meetin?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:06   #7

Many, many thanks for all your replies. You really are a great bunch of people and have certainly given me lots of food for thought, and some good ideas.
Thank you for your lead to that website Acstan, but unfortunately the Pomfrets on that site (yes, I went straight to it with fingers crossed) are, I think, mainly the Lower Darwen ones. 'My' Benjamin's family came from Blackburn and his wife was called Ellen Shutt at the time of their marriage as she had been married before and was a widow, and was married under this name. Her maiden name was Haworth. So back to the drawing board.
There seem to have been a number of Benjamin Pomfrets - no imagination re names, and a bl**** lot of Pomfrets (and Haworths) all around the same time. Makes it hard to follow. Bit of a worry when the same surnames pop up on both sides of the family - his two and my two, and more so when they crop up in both his and mine! Oops!!!!
I will be following some of the leads and whether successful or not I must emphasise how much I appreciate all your comments and help.
Cheers.....
Old 01-08-2012, 15:31   #8
Full Member+

You've just set alarm bells off. The Tom and Agnus Pomfret of Rothesay Road had Agnus's mother living with them and she was called Haworth.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:12   #9

Many thanks Greeny for your interest. Will take your comments on board and try to follow-up. So many Pomfrets and so many Haworths though make it difficult to know which is which and who is who's. Ah! the joys (and frustrations) of family history research.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:21   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
We've got some poems by a local poet called Joan Pomfret, who's also featured in the book of poems, An Accrington Miscellany.

Probably unconnected, though it's an unusual name, so she might be a descendent.

Here's one of her dialect poems, T' Mothers' Meetin'.

LD Poems T? Mothers? Meetin?
.................................................. ................................

Joan Pomfret was one our all-time top dialect writers, in prose and verse. This was her maiden name. She was Mrs Douglas TOWNSEND. Joan's father was borough librarian in Darwen & Preston. She died about 15yrs ago in Gt Harwood, where she was president of the Gt Harwod Male Voice Choir. A lovely lady. She had no children. One of her best pooems was "Other folks' children"
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 19:27   #11
Junior Member+

Used to play cricket for Enfield in the Lancashire League in the 1960s and their was often a Pomfret in the East Lancs side.

Brian Stott
peelparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 22:36   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
I've had help before from you kind folks re family history researching and wonder if anyone out there can help me again. I am trying to trace the ancestors of Benjamin Pomfret of Blackburn born some time around 1810/1813. I know this is about a Blackburn family but come down the track a few years when Sarah Ann Pomfret married William Aspinall in 1858 (Blackburn) and it appears these particular descendants then moved into the Accrington/Oswaldtwistle area so hope my request is acceptable to Acc'y Web. The Benjamin I am interested in married Ellen (nee Haworth) previously Shutt (her first marriage) at St. Mary's, Blackburn in 1833.

I know who their children were but who was his ma and pa? (Hers also, if known). Forever grateful for any help.

Best wishes to all.
Benjamin Pomfret
L/Cpl 242003. K.O.R.L.
K.I.A. 26-10-1917.
Lived in Gt Harwood
Born in Blackburn, leaves a widow & 1 child
at Westwell St, Gt Harwood.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 22:51   #13

This is the one you want I believe;

name: Benjamin Pomfret
baptism/christening date: 03 Mar 1811
baptism/christening place: St. Paul's, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
birth date: 02 Dec 1810
father's name: Thomas Pomfret
mother's name: Ann

The only marriage I can come up with that ties in with the names are:
groom's name: Thomas Pomfret
bride's name: Ann Waddington
marriage date: 09 Feb 1807
marriage place: Blackburn, Lancashire, England
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:09   #14

Once again I thank all of you for your suggestions. Accybill I had also come up with Benjamin's father and mother being a Thomas and an Ann. However, I believe the Benjamin baptised on 3/3/1811 and born on 2/12/1810 came from Lower Darwen and not Blackburn. According to Census records 'my' Ben was born in Blackburn. Also from what I have been able to gather the Benjamin born to Thomas and Ann (nee Waddington) was born in 1818 and was the 7th of their 11 children, so that sort of puts him out of contention. I do thank you for your efforts on my behalf which are much appreciated but I think it is now back to the drawing board.
Old 09-08-2012, 16:06   #15

The information I have posted is confirmed from records and show both his DOB and his Baptism (both in Blackburn).
The marriage of Thomas & Ann were also in Blackburn.

I cannot vouch for them being your relatives as any data needs to be verified.

The only way to confirm any data is to take a look at the Baptism and marriage records which are held in Preston.
They are available to view at the Archives Office as is a wealth of information on microfilm

Lancashire Archives - Lancashire Archives

It is where I would go if I were seeking to obtain information on relatives beyond 1837.

If you call them they are very helpful and will advise on what you need to do.
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..