Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2011, 11:30   #1
Junior Member+

Rathbone Family

I am looking for Rathbone family living in the Accrington or surrounding area. My g. grandmother, Elizabeth Rathbone, born Preston in 1857, daughter of John & Elizabeth Hodgkinson (may be spelled Hodkinson today), married John Greenhalgh in Accrington in 1875. (Her parents, John & Elizabeth married 1844 at Liverpool.) Their daughters, Mary and Edith Greenhalgh were born in 1880 and 1882, respectively. The family emigrated from the port of Liverpool in 1893 and settled in Rhode Island, USA. Elizabeth's siblings, Nathan, John, William, and Thomas remained in England. John's family may have originated in Derbyshire, but he and his siblings were born in Rhuddlan, Flintshire, Wales. I cannot find a marriage for his parents John & Elizabeth Cockup in Wales, Derbyshire, or Lancashire.

I have done extensive research on ancestors, and I am now trying to find descendants of this family. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Frank Pafume
rannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2011, 14:37   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Rathbone Family

Rannie. I suggest that you join, even if for one year only, the Lancashire Family History Society and attach yourself to Hyndburn branch. (Google the society) That will get your name and your interests in the quarterly magazine, which is read by hundreds and if anyone is also researcghing, they will be in touch. Ensure you get your email address in the magazine.It will also give you access to a Yahoo forum of 200(?) members whose collective knowledge is tremendous.In addition, you will be treated as 'family' by Hyndburn branch.

I recall that there was an important family of Rathbones in Liverpool - bankers I think. There is also a family history society in Liverpool & SW Lancashire.

More information may be useful: which church? any address?

Have you sought help from Accrington library ? - there will be a report in the Accrington Observer of the wedding.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 10:55   #3

William born 1852 was still living in Preston in 1911 and had a large family.
In 1881 they had 7 children

Nathan was a Boarder and single aged 26 at Sth Shore Church in 1871

Nathan Hodkinson Rathbone married Annie Elizabeth Robinson in summer of 1871

In 1881 Nathan & Annie lived at 6, Blackpool Street, Church Church and they had 4 children.
He had died before the 1891 Census - but the family lived at 12, West View, Oswaldtwistle and they had had a 5th child

~~~~~
Elizabeth Rathbone (nee Hodkinson) was a Widow in 1861 and neither she nor John & Thomas appear to be listed in 1881?
~~~

I am assuming that you may know all the above, but it it would be a good bet to trace William (a Plumber& Painter by trade in Preston) & Nathan's families as they may well be able to put more pieces together for you.
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 12:25   #4
Junior Member+

Thank you. I will do that. I have a very good contact who assists me with my research efforts in Lancashire. He lives in Ashton under Lyne. Of course, I do whatever research I can from this side of the Pond, and he orders and sends me the certificates. And he does the older research that I cannot access. Thanks for the tip.
Old 27-07-2011, 12:28   #5
Junior Member+

My g. grandparents: Elizabeth married in 1875 John Greenhalgh, and they lived in Accrington on Barnes Street, where their two daughters were born. I have copies of all the vital records. This family immigrated to the US in 1893 and they settled in Rhode Island. Thank you.
Old 27-07-2011, 13:01   #6
Senior Member+

It may be that they emigrated with a big parrty of Accringtonians. In he Accrington Observer aropund that time there was a report of a reuinion partuy for Accrington folk ( perhaps East Lancs, not just acc) in Rhode Island - over 4pp attended. If they did go with a party, and if you have any docuymentation about it, please pass the information to Accrington library
Old 27-07-2011, 14:19   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
It may be that they emigrated with a big parrty of Accringtonians. In he Accrington Observer aropund that time there was a report of a reuinion partuy for Accrington folk ( perhaps East Lancs, not just acc) in Rhode Island - over 4pp attended. If they did go with a party, and if you have any docuymentation about it, please pass the information to Accrington library
A number of them, those in there 20's & 30's, returned to England to enlist in the forces.
Also a large local contingent who emigrated to Canada, I've found the service records of over 70 men who were born in Greater Accrington & served with the Canadian Expeditionary Force.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 17:10   #8
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Thank you. He landed in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1893, a few months before his wife and daughters arrived. They lived in Mass. for 5-6 years before they moved to Rhode Island. I have tried to find in the records a person he was coming to live with in the US, but the manifests did not ask for that information until the late 1890s or the first decade of 1900. I am always seeking information. And it is always interesting to learn why, of several siblings, he is the only one to immigrated here. He died here in 1912, and I have never found any record that he returned. His widowed wife returned in 1913 for several months.
Old 01-08-2011, 19:38   #9
Senior Member+

The subject of migration from Lancashire to New England would make a great one for serious study. My grandfather went out with his brother but returned, leaving his brother there. We are in touch with his children and grandchildren, and I have seen a photo of the brother, so feel I am looking at my grandad.

Tags
cockup, greenhalgh, hodgkinson, rathbone

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..