Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2014, 19:26   #331

Re: Rhyddings High School??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsteph View Post
I was there from 63-67 mainly at the tech and moorhead. did a couple of years at the main school wth a mr smith as our form teacher
Was that the Mr.Smith with the great comb over hair style?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2014, 11:38   #332

hi , i went to rhyddings in 1960-64 the teachers i remember are Mr kerr,Mrs Aspen, Mrs merrigold,Mr Heffernan,Mr Gibson,Mrs Wilcox, Mrs clark Mr slater,Mr Frankland(not a nice Person) the head was Mr lord then he retired and Mr Marsden then the head of rhyddings.
its so big now.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:43   #333

i was wonder in if any one knew were Bernadette flanigan got to and does any one know her.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:59   #334

Smile Re: Rhyddings High School??

Quote:
Originally Posted by south aussie View Post
I Attended Rhyddings Secondary Modern School From 1960 To 1964

Any Other Old Farts Out There?
hi i was at rhyddings at the same time as you ,hazel pickup, i still live in accrington.
Old 06-04-2014, 13:00   #335
Senior Member+

Yes, was there 1995-2000.

A terrible school at times, some of the teaching standards looking back where absolutely abysmal.

Agreed Mr Newton in technology was one of the best.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 13:30   #336
Senior Member+

Yes, if anyone remembers the woodwork teacher Mr Winkley ?? Dennis I think his name was?? He commited suicide around 1999-2000 when I was in year 11 I think.

The same week if my memory serves me right Mr Furlonger who was a brilliant English teacher sadly passed away after having a heart attack. Wasnt a great week to be at the school, thats for sure !!

Few more of my teachers that I remember.

Mr Szpack Deputy Head, nutter.
Mr Barnes (Geography) , who was brilliant. ..... and is still there!
Mr Lavin & Jordan , P.E.
Mr Connell (French), nice bloke.
Mr Ainsworth, (History) and deputy head, about 4ft 5, but fierce as anything.
Mrs Whelan (Maths), she was pretty cool, but a rubbish teacher I thought.
Mrs Cooper (chemistry), right wining old bint!
Mr Rigby (Biology), Strange bloke.
Mr Newton (Technology), Brilliant.
Mr Stobbs (Art), Who I believe sadly died of cancer a few years back?? Nice chap.
Mr Jagger (Art), Also sadly passed away a few years ago.
Miss Teale (Dance), what a nutter she was!
Mr Trickett (Deputy Head), who aparently is now the headteacher???
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 18:28   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by south aussie View Post
I Attended Rhyddings Secondary Modern School From 1960 To 1964

Any Other Old Farts Out There?
Hi, I attended Ryddings between 1960 and 1964, the name is/was Hazel Pickup
What name do you answer to?

Yours Hazel, Taddies wife, Sorry about the previous posts naming Taddy as going to Ryddings, (he went to Woodnook), see Woodnook posts.
Old 06-04-2014, 18:32   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
hi , i went to rhyddings in 1960-64 the teachers i remember are Mr kerr,Mrs Aspen, Mrs merrigold,Mr Heffernan,Mr Gibson,Mrs Wilcox, Mrs clark Mr slater,Mr Frankland(not a nice Person) the head was Mr lord then he retired and Mr Marsden then the head of rhyddings.
its so big now.
Sorry about this post, it was written by my other half, I actually attended Woodnook, (sometimes), Yours Taddy.
Old 06-04-2014, 18:38   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
i was wonder in if any one knew were Bernadette flanigan got to and does any one know her.
I am rewriting this post as the first attempt was rubbish, My wifes best mate at Ryddings was a lass called Bernadette Flannigan, does anyone know of her or her whereabouts we haven't heard from her in fifty years. Yours Taddy
Old 08-05-2014, 20:48   #340

Hi, just a quick request from my other half, is there anyone on this site that went to Rhyddings between 1960 and 1964 and especially anyone who knows or knew a lass called Bernadette Flanagan, she was my wifes best mate at school. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2014, 21:46   #341
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Yes, if anyone remembers the woodwork teacher Mr Winkley ?? Dennis I think his name was?? He commited suicide around 1999-2000 when I was in year 11 I think.

The same week if my memory serves me right Mr Furlonger who was a brilliant English teacher sadly passed away after having a heart attack. Wasnt a great week to be at the school, thats for sure !!

Few more of my teachers that I remember.

Mr Szpack Deputy Head, nutter.
Mr Barnes (Geography) , who was brilliant. ..... and is still there!
Mr Lavin & Jordan , P.E.
Mr Connell (French), nice bloke.
Mr Ainsworth, (History) and deputy head, about 4ft 5, but fierce as anything.
Mrs Whelan (Maths), she was pretty cool, but a rubbish teacher I thought.
Mrs Cooper (chemistry), right wining old bint!
Mr Rigby (Biology), Strange bloke.
Mr Newton (Technology), Brilliant.
Mr Stobbs (Art), Who I believe sadly died of cancer a few years back?? Nice chap.
Mr Jagger (Art), Also sadly passed away a few years ago.
Miss Teale (Dance), what a nutter she was!
Mr Trickett (Deputy Head), who aparently is now the headteacher???
Mr. Ainsworth is retiring this year and Miss Teale married Mr. Stobbs and is still teaching at Rhyddings. Mr. Rigby left last year. I went to Rhyddings till 1982 and my kids went there later and they were taught by some of the teachers I had.
smudgie likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 21:54   #342

I remember going to Rhyddings st Con club1965/6.....met some girls who also went there, Pat Holden(or it could have been Eillen), Sheila Parr, Jackie Hetherington( or it could have been her sister). I think they went to Rhyddings '61-'66.
steve50brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 13:58   #343

A quick bump back up the topics. I went to Rhyddings 77 - 82. Hard not to really living across the road on Sun St.
Remember loads of the teachers previously mentioned but what about Mrs Graser- French Teacher? The only time she liked me was during Wimbledon when I could bring the portable black & white telly to watch the matches. Ironically she moved to Carr Hill School in Kirkham & taught a couple of my cousins!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
TheJarvefromossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 19:48   #344

yes she was there when I was there and I left and went to another one but she was not well liked
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 20:05   #345

Mrs Hills - English lived at the top of Jubilee st. Ended up getting me my nickname.

Here today, somewhere else tomorrow.
TheJarvefromossy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..